Speculation: Detroit Needs a Goalie, short or long term

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Detroit desperately needs a goalie.
Bernier has been decent, but he's out until after the all-star game.
Howard is sitting at 2-16-1 with a 4.26 GAA and and .876 save percentage.

Detroit has short-term (rest of the season) and long-term (no surefire prospects) needs.

For a short-term solution, Detroit might be willing to move a depth forward (Helm/Perlini/Erne) for a decent goalie who might stick around for the season.
B and C level prospects could be had, too. A defenseman like Mike Green could be had too.

For a U-25 goalie with some kind of track record, the Wings could move Athanasiou or Fabbri. Prospects like Svechnikov or Cholowski might also be had.

So who are some teams that might be shopping goalies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think they'd be in the running for Murray but he won't be moved until the offseason.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Yeah, DESPERATELY.

I love this panicky shit like we went into the season a Cup favorite and are sitting outside the bubble. The whole team sucks. We're not making knee-jerk moves to try to improve from terrible to just bad.

Also, f***ing lol at Helm/Perlini/Erne returning any goalie better than Howard/Bernier.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I know we have been over this before, but Jake Allen makes sense. He likely won't be shopped until the draft or later, unless we can find a reliable back-up for the playoffs. He has been playing great recently and he is a great team-mate. The Blues will need to shed salary next season, so his departure is just about guaranteed. I think a change of scenery might even see him become a starter again. If not, he is a great back-up/tandem goaltender.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Detroit desperately needs a goalie.
Bernier has been decent, but he's out until after the all-star game.
Howard is sitting at 2-16-1 with a 4.26 GAA and and .876 save percentage.

Detroit has short-term (rest of the season) and long-term (no surefire prospects) needs.

For a short-term solution, Detroit might be willing to move a depth forward (Helm/Perlini/Erne) for a decent goalie who might stick around for the season.
B and C level prospects could be had, too. A defenseman like Mike Green could be had too.

For a U-25 goalie with some kind of track record, the Wings could move Athanasiou or Fabbri. Prospects like Svechnikov or Cholowski might also be had.

So who are some teams that might be shopping goalies.
That would leave us with 4 Top 6 F's now & probably next season (barring UFA/trades)...not a good idea. Fabbri's a young, cheap, great fit. No sense depleting our F skill even more so. AA is a borderline Top 6 & likely won't be around past 1.4 seasons so I don't count him. Veleno & Ras are probably 3rd liners at best to start 2020-21.

Helm/Perlini/Erne aren't getting anything we'd want either.

AA for Georgiev or sign a UFA (not overpriced/old & declining Holtby looking for 4-7yrs). Lehner, Markstrom in July? I loathe wasting assets at this stage, especially for a G, but Georgiev MAY be worth AA. I don't wanna see us lose by 3-5+goals daily but Bernier will be back at some point, might as well ride it out or pick up a waiver wire/Pickard til then.

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
See if they can move back into the first round and take Askarov to pair with whatever forward they take with their first pick. Especially if he slides a little.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
We are fine. We just need any stopgap solutions for a little while. The team is going to be very bad for a couple more years. No need to do anything foolish.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Unfortunately, tolerating a losing environment at the level the Wings are now is stupid and is tremendously counter productive in developing the current young players on the team. The people who own and run the Wings are completely clueless which is totally different than how the team used to be run. The Wings don't put any decent vet support around their young players. They need to bring in 2 or 3 signficant FA's if they can to take some of the pressure off the young kids and help them develop.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The Wings don't put any decent vet support around their young players. They need to bring in 2 or 3 signficant FA's if they can to take some of the pressure off the young kids and help them develop.
They signed veterans Filppula and Nemeth this past offseason, brought in Erne, Perlini, Biega and Fabbri, and have other vets Nielsen, Abdelkader, Helm and Glendening filling out the forward group.

What significant vets are you referring to?

Reactions: njx9

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
See if they can move back into the first round and take Askarov to pair with whatever forward they take with their first pick. Especially if he slides a little.

Your suggestion is that they trade their top 4 pick down, to grab the biggest crapshoot position in the league...

:skeptic:

They signed veterans Filppula and Nemeth this past offseason, brought in Erne, Perlini, Biega and Fabbri, and have other vets Nielsen, Abdelkader, Helm and Glendening filling out the forward group.

What significant vets are you referring to?

I wouldn't even bother with that one.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Wait for the proper UFA (Holtby), get a new bad contract, repeat ;)

Just kidding, good goalies are a scarce commodity on this market, not sure what DET would have to offer. Not even sure why it is an issue, anyway DET is going to finish bottom 3, right ?

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I know we have been over this before, but Jake Allen makes sense. He likely won't be shopped until the draft or later, unless we can find a reliable back-up for the playoffs. He has been playing great recently and he is a great team-mate. The Blues will need to shed salary next season, so his departure is just about guaranteed. I think a change of scenery might even see him become a starter again. If not, he is a great back-up/tandem goaltender.

I really like Allen, believe he is underrated because he has had one (very) bad season. But I do not see why STL would trade him. Look at BOS and STL, two of the strongest team in the NHL with two of the best goalie duos in the league. I believe having such a back up is a fantastic asset, don't jeopardize that (from a guy still mad about Halak leaving MTL ;) )

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Wait for the proper UFA (Holtby), get a new bad contract, repeat ;)

Just kidding, good goalies are a scarce commodity on this market, not sure what DET would have to offer. Not even sure why it is an issue, anyway DET is going to finish bottom 3, right ?

12 points behind 30th place with an extra game played.

So yeah, definitely gotta make a panic move to save the season. :laugh:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
My guess is Islanders don't resign Greiss this summer since Sorokin is coming over so Wings may look at him for veteran experience. Wings might be able to give him term and/or salary that many other teams won't

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Georgiev is being tested by the Rangers, but some guys Detroit should look at are Holtby or Samsonov.

But I imagine what would go back to Detroit would also be cap dump. But what I could also see happening is Athanasiou and Helm going the other way, Helm brings a valuable bottom-six veteran presence. But Detroit also gets a potential starting goalie of the future. Would make a proposal but I don't know what'd make sense.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Your suggestion is that they trade their top 4 pick down, to grab the biggest crapshoot position in the league...

:skeptic:

I don't think you read that right, lol. The poster said they should try to have 2 first round picks. The top 4 (forward as they said) and Askarov with their 2nd first round pick if he slides.

Ledge And Dairy

This is an very urgent for Detroit. At only 27 points back from the wild card spot they are prepped and ready to tear up the league, all they are missing is that key all star goalie. Willing to trade 2020 1st + 2021 1st and recent draft pick Moritz Seider to get that final piece. The team can afford to part with these pieces as they already have an established core

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
This is an very urgent for Detroit. At only 27 points back from the wild card spot they are prepped and ready to tear up the league, all they are missing is that key all star goalie. Willing to trade 2020 1st + 2021 1st and recent draft pick Moritz Seider to get that final piece. The team can afford to part with these pieces as they already have an established core

These posts are pretty ridiculous guys. The OP stated they are looking for a U25 goalie for the present and future. Being a rebuilding team does not mean they shouldn't be looking at opportunities to add young potential core talent.

They aren't going to fix their goaltending and blueline all at once, it's a process. If they happen to see a young goalie on the market that they are fond of, there's no reason not to explore a move.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm guessing that NJD would give you Schneider, and a pick, for a lesser pick... if all you need is a warm body for a while. He's not likely to kill your tank job either.

Reactions: Smitty426

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad