Proposal: Detroit-Chicago | Mrazek for Murphy

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Chicago shouldn't give up Murphy, but if they can get Mrazek as basically a rental (though he's RFA) for a 3rd or 4th rounder, they should pull the trigger as soon as possible to see if they can still get in the playoffs.

No team, including Detroit, is likely to qualify him as he'll sign his QO right away and have too high of a cap hit. So in practice he is UFA and is a rental. A rental who isn't putting up good numbers.

A 3rd or 4th rounder sounds fair to me because he IS talented and COULD rebound. A 2nd rounder is too much at that cap and those numbers.

Just my take.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I just don't like the idea of helping the Hawks out with, well, anything.
Ahhh come on! the old rivalry is dead now isn't it?
And just how exactly is trading Mrazek necessarily going to help the Hawks? It may and than again it may not .. arguably whatever goes back to Detroit in the deal could end up helping the Wings even more.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Ahhh come on! the old rivalry is dead now isn't it?
And just how exactly is trading Mrazek necessarily going to help the Hawks? It may and than again it may not .. arguably whatever goes back to Detroit in the deal could end up helping the Wings even more.
It died when Detroit moved east,for me anyway.
I have no probs being bed buddys with Chicago.:laugh:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I get the feeling Mrazek is 100% getting traded in the next 5 weeks.

Do Red Wings fans feel the same?

Honestly, I f***ing hate the idea.

It makes no sense.
Detroit should be shopping Howard, who should have better value if Detroit eats salary.

But I don't have any faith that Detroit does the right thing.

Reactions: grewalZ40

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What are the odds that at least one of them is moved at the deadline or before?

Pretty low in my opinion unless some playoff bound team suffers an injury to their starting goaltender or is severely worried about their goaltending at the TDL.

Teams rarely trade for backup goalies at the TDL, which is what Mrazek is right now at his best. They’d much rather spend their assets on skaters.

Teams also rarely trade for starting goalies at the TDL, which you’d have to consider Howard since he has another season left on his deal. What prospective TDL trade partners would want Howard locked up for next season and how much would Detroit retain?

Most likely outcome is Howard with the Wings next season and Mrazek becomes a UFA after not being qualified.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Honestly, I ****ing hate the idea.

It makes no sense.
Detroit should be shopping Howard, who should have better value if Detroit eats salary.

But I don't have any faith that Detroit does the right thing.

Yep no reason for Detroit to keep the 33 year old goalie with a year left instead of the 25 year old RFA who's about to enter his prime. It's easy to see the talent is there for Mrazek, he's had his off ice issues as well as struggles in the NHL as virtually every young goalie has, but would be incredibly stupid to cut bait now for what would be a meager return. Hopefully they move Howard at deadline or over the summer, then theres no issue qualifying Mrazek at 4M+ and give him a full season to run with the starter job.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
The Wings don’t have to. Letting Mrazek go UFA this summer solves that problem.

Right. But I think they'll try to trade him first.

Either way, it's the stupid play.

You trade Howard now (like in the next 2-3 days), while he has some value -- remembering that for a year you tried to trade him and could find no takers. You eat up to $2M next year to do it.

And then you spent the next 3 weeks trying see what you've got in Mrazek.

Maybe he rebounds and you trade him.
Maybe he rebounds and you keep him.

Maybe he's inconsistent and you're stuck resigning him for too much and you try to trade him next year.

Or maybe he just plain sucks and you let him go as an unqualified UFA.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Pretty low in my opinion unless some playoff bound team suffers an injury to their starting goaltender or is severely worried about their goaltending at the TDL.

Teams rarely trade for backup goalies at the TDL, which is what Mrazek is right now at his best. They’d much rather spend their assets on skaters.

Teams also rarely trade for starting goalies at the TDL, which you’d have to consider Howard since he has another season left on his deal. What prospective TDL trade partners would want Howard locked up for next season and how much would Detroit retain?

Most likely outcome is Howard with the Wings next season and Mrazek becomes a UFA after not being qualified.

Trade Howard to the NY Islanders, for example, for Halak and a 2nd rounder.

You retain $2M of Howard's contract for next year, so the Isles get a cheap starter next year.

I might also pitch Howard, retained, to Pittsburgh, who is getting terrible goaltending from Murray

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Trade Howard to the NY Islanders, for example, for Halak and a 2nd rounder.

You retain $2M of Howard's contract for next year, so the Isles get a cheap starter next year.

I might also pitch Howard, retained, to Pittsburgh, who is getting terrible goaltending from Murray

All you’re missing is Michael Ryder. :biglaugh:

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad