Proposal: Detroit a good Trade Partner for the Bruins?

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Wow, they are loaded at RW. Jurco, Tatar, Mantha, Pulkinnen, Frk. Lots of potential talent there. Could be a good target even for a prospect swap. Spoons for Pulkinnen?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Wow, they are loaded at RW. Jurco, Tatar, Mantha, Pulkinnen, Frk. Lots of potential talent there. Could be a good target even for a prospect swap. Spoons for Pulkinnen?

I think Chia should hang on to Spooner unless blown away. Until Krejci is locked up long term anyhow. I think Spooner will develop into a fine top-6 center

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
The trade market hasn't been great this offseason. If you can trade him for something that helps the team now, then it makes sense but I'm willing to bet it'll end up being a prospect and pick that are both years away from helping. I haven't seen many realistic trade proposals involving Johnny, teams aren't giving up Coyle or Mantha for a player a year away from UFA.

Again I don't see Chiarelli looking any further into the future than next postseason.

Devante Smith-Pelly is a name I've been throwing around. I think JB could reel him in.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I'd be fine with that trade but would Edmonton? As for the Detroit deal, again why would a team trade a young cost controlled player that is having success and has a boat load of potential for a future UFA? I'd love Coyle, Nyquist, Mantha, Ritchie, Nino, Silfverberg, Etem, or Stone. I just don't see a team trading one for a player who's a UFA in 12 months.

There's plenty of teams that make sense to send Johnny to, but not a lot of good trade chips on the table.

I think one year rentals are very undervalued on HF. People almost write them off as zero value players because they can only help for a year before ufa status. I always go back to the kaberle deal in which the bruins traded colborne (at the time the top forward prospect in the organization) and a first round pick for 1\2 a season of pending ufa in kaberle. I'm not saying that boychuk should net mantha and a first as mantha is a better prospect than colborne was but brett Ritchie is likely attainable, or stone.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
people often tend to overrate their own players, but in this case I think a lot of people are seriously underrating Boychuk. Guys like him are not easy to find in the league right now.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Devante Smith-Pelly is a name I've been throwing around. I think JB could reel him in.

I'm sure he could but I just don't see the upside in DSP to trade a #2/3 defenseman. At most I see him as a 3rd/2nd line tweener that's a high energy bull with good puck protect skills, board work and a decent scoring touch. Isn't that exactly what we have/hope to see out of Fraser, Florek, Ferlin, Knight?

I'd prefer a player with a little more top-6 potential.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Ducks have plenty of D, though.

Yeah this is the problem with Ducks as a trade partner. Lots desirable, but doesn't look like a fit.

DSP is a nice fit, but general consensus is he's got fairly limited upside offensively. That said, a massive dude, that skates pretty well and can pot 10 -15 goals on your 3rd line is nothing to sneeze at. He's certainly a guy I'd like to see the B's target but no idea if we've got assets that the Ducks would covet.

Ogrim

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm
Really like Jurco but like most of you are saying Chia would need to go get another top-4 d if Boychuk is moved. (And DET needs to add)
Not at all impossible but not very likely?

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
yeah because if you do you might end up with 2nd and 9th overall picks

Or Tuukka Rask. Damn losing Andrew Raycroft!!

On topic, if we trade Boychuk I'd like some form of higher-level defenseman coming back. We saw Bart as a #4 - no need to explore that again. I would be very, very concerned to put Krug, Miller or McQuaid on the 4th pairing as well. Maybe McQuaid, but who knows how many games we can even get from him based on his history.

If doing a deal with Detroit including Boychuk, I would like to see Brandon Smith coming back. He has a great contract, I'm sure he'd love to play with his brother and he really impressed me in the playoffs. With Seidenberg anchoring him he could become an extremely solid #4. Maybe Boychuk + (something small idk) for Jurco +Smith?

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
To Detroit:
Johnny Boychuk
Ryan Spooner
Matt Lindblad

To Boston:
Brendan Smith
Tomas Jurco
Teemu Pulkkinen

Lucic - Krejci - Eriksson
Marchand - Bergeron - R. Smith
Jurco - Soderberg - Pulkkinen
Paille - Campbell - Florek

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - B. Smith
Krug - McQuaid
Miller

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Yeah this is the problem with Ducks as a trade partner. Lots desirable, but doesn't look like a fit.

DSP is a nice fit, but general consensus is he's got fairly limited upside offensively. That said, a massive dude, that skates pretty well and can pot 10 -15 goals on your 3rd line is nothing to sneeze at. He's certainly a guy I'd like to see the B's target but no idea if we've got assets that the Ducks would covet.

I may be in the minority, but I think Etem will be a better player than DSP. Would you do it if they offered Silfverberg?

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
To Detroit:
Johnny Boychuk
Ryan Spooner
Matt Lindblad

To Boston:
Brendan Smith
Tomas Jurco
Teemu Pulkkinen

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - B. Smith
Krug - McQuaid
Miller

Easier to swallow than some of the other proposals with Detroit, but then again I'm pretty high on Jurco. Smith is a good middle paring guy too.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I may be in the minority, but I think Etem will be a better player than DSP. Would you do it if they offered Silfverberg?

I think any of the 3 would be pretty decent fits, seeing as the team could use young talent on the wing.

I think Etem likely has a higher offensive upside, but probably is a bigger risk to not be an NHL level player. I think DSP can carve out a career as a capable mucker. If Etem isn't a top 6 guy putting up points, not sure he's got the other assets to make him an effective bottom 6 guy.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I must be the only one who thought B Smith came off as a bit of a soft turd in that series.

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Easier to swallow than some of the other proposals with Detroit, but then again I'm pretty high on Jurco. Smith is a good middle paring guy too.

It's tough too. If we loose Boychuk we need someone like B. Smith to handle the middle pair with Seidenberg and keep our top-4 strong.

Then when we look at wing prospects, who does Detroit value highest? Who would the Bruins value highest?

I have to believe the Wings would love to get Boychuk, Spooner would give them depth down the middle and Lindblad gives them a good checking liner who can skate.

On the other side we get Smith, already mentioned why, plus two potentially explosive wingers in Pulkkinen & Jurco.

Both sides take risks, both sides move solid players, both sides address needs. I actually took a while to come up with that one.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
To Detroit:
Johnny Boychuk
Ryan Spooner
Matt Lindblad

To Boston:
Brendan Smith
Tomas Jurco
Teemu Pulkkinen

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - B. Smith
Krug - McQuaid
Miller

I don't think Detroit goes for it. But I think Jurco and Pulkkinen are BOTH players and it's grounds for something that could be looked at.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I must be the only one who thought B Smith came off as a bit of a soft turd in that series.

Smith has a mean streak, I would do that trade all day to be honest with you. Ride or die guy, I'd want him. Doesn't back down from anybody. Youngin that wants to win and the way it's looking we might not even be able to sign Boychuk long term after this season. Take it and run.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014

Smith has a mean streak, I would do that trade all day to be honest with you. Ride or die guy, I'd want him. Doesn't back down from anybody. Youngin that wants to win and the way it's looking we might not even be able to sign Boychuk long term after this season. Take it and run.

not so much how good or bad he did but the bravery of the other guy.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
To Detroit:
Johnny Boychuk
Ryan Spooner
Matt Lindblad

To Boston:
Brendan Smith
Tomas Jurco
Teemu Pulkkinen

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - B. Smith
Krug - McQuaid
Miller

I do like the general idea of the trade. It would probably have to be tweaked a bit but both teams are getting needs addressed. To me it looks like Detroit is jam packed with Winger talent, and those young guys might be roadblocked the same way Spooner is roadblocked by our glut of centers or the fact we have too many young defensemen and need to pare down the numbers.

A mutually beneficial trade could happen based on surplus.

Amended Trade offer:

Bruins Send:
D Boychuk 3.4m (pro)
C Spooner 815k (7.5 rating by HF)
RW Jared Knight (6.5 rating)
D Adam McQuaid (pro)

Wings Send:
RW Mantha (8.0 rating)
D Brendan Smith 875k (pro)
LW Thomas Tatar (7.5 rating)

Boychuk is a better defenseman than Smith although Johnny is more expensive. Spooner plays a more valued position even though Mantha appears to have a higher ceiling. Jared might revive his career with Detroit and gives them a replacement RW prospect with physicality. Tatar could contribute immediately as a left winger -- this will probably only happen if he proves difficult to resign. McQuaid gives Detroit back a low cost, stay at home defenseman.

Tatar resigning not close:
http://www.freep.com/article/201407.../detroit-red-wings-tomas-tatar-danny-dekeyser

Overpay by one team or fair value proposal?

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I do like the general idea of the trade. It would probably have to be tweaked a bit but both teams are getting needs addressed. To me it looks like Detroit is jam packed with Winger talent, and those young guys might be roadblocked the same way Spooner is roadblocked by our glut of centers or the fact we have too many young defensemen and need to pare down the numbers.

A mutually beneficial trade could happen based on surplus.

Amended Trade offer:

Bruins Send:
D Boychuk 3.4m (pro)
C Spooner 815k (7.5 rating by HF)
RW Jared Knight (6.5 rating)
D Adam McQuaid (pro)

Wings Send:
RW Mantha (8.0 rating)
D Brendan Smith 875k (pro)
LW Thomas Tatar (7.5 rating)

Boychuk is a better defenseman than Smith although Johnny is more expensive. Spooner plays a more valued position even though Mantha appears to have a higher ceiling. Jared might revive his career with Detroit and gives them a replacement RW prospect with physicality. Tatar could contribute immediately as a left winger -- this will probably only happen if he proves difficult to resign. McQuaid gives Detroit back a low cost, stay at home defenseman.

Tatar resigning not close:
http://www.freep.com/article/201407.../detroit-red-wings-tomas-tatar-danny-dekeyser

Overpay by one team or fair value proposal?

Not sure Knight has to "revive" anything. His first year was injury filled playing for a coach that "appears" to have decided he isn`t worthy of much of an opportunity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad