Proposal: Detroit a good Trade Partner for the Bruins?

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
The Bruins have pieces that Detroit could use, such as young defensemen - bartkowski morrow etc., veteran defensemen - boychuk, or even a possible 3rd line center - kelly, spooner, soderberg.

Detroit on the other hand has a surplus of wings.
Established players such as Nyquist, Tatar, etc. are unlikely to be moved.

But the Redwings have a couple of Wingers who are nearly ready for the show such as Anthony Mantha and Tomas Jurco

Mantha speculation:
http://www.thedetroitsportssite.com...ikely-not-a-red-wings-forward-next-year/43119

Jurco speculation:
"There have been some twitter murmuring of a Johnny Boychuk-for-Tomas Jurco swap between the Bruins and Red Wings, but there have been no indications that the divisional rivals would be willing to help each other out."

I know they are division rivals but Chia has traded with division rivals before and usually with some degree of success. Such as the Tampa bay trade landing Recchi and the Florida trade landing Campbell and Horton.

Does Detroit have just the right surplus of Wingers to be good trade partners for the Bruins? Whom would you target and what trade package would you offer?

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
The Bruins have pieces that Detroit could use, such as young defensemen - bartkowski morrow etc., veteran defensemen - boychuk, or even a possible 3rd line center - kelly, spooner, soderberg.

Detroit on the other hand has a surplus of wings.
Established players such as Nyquist, Tatar, etc. are unlikely to be moved.

But the Redwings have a couple of Wingers who are nearly ready for the show such as Anthony Mantha and Tomas Jurco

Mantha speculation:
http://www.thedetroitsportssite.com...ikely-not-a-red-wings-forward-next-year/43119

Jurco speculation:
"There have been some twitter murmuring of a Johnny Boychuk-for-Tomas Jurco swap between the Bruins and Red Wings, but there have been no indications that the divisional rivals would be willing to help each other out."

I know they are division rivals but Chia has traded with division rivals before and usually with some degree of success. Such as the Tampa bay trade landing Recchi and the Florida trade landing Campbell and Horton.

Does Detroit have just the right surplus of Wingers to be good trade partners for the Bruins? Whom would you target and what trade package would you offer?

1-1 no way of I do Boychuck for jurco. Maybe mantha.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Personally, I wouldn't want Boychuk punishing us into the boards for years to come. Don't want him anywhere near our division if we do trade him. Also, not sure if Jurco is the guy to trade JB for. I want a right handed shot for the PP finish, where Iggy was. Need a big body in front of the net.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Although not a right handed shot (but yes, a right wing) I'm intrigued by Mantha. He's got huge upside IMO and size 6'4" 200lbs ain't bad, since we've been drafting smurf-like forwards for too long... Pretty sure though that they'd want Krug since he's a local Michigan boy. If I'm PC and personally I love watching Krug I'd probably do the deal.

David Krejci*

1. Tampa and Florida were not in our division when those trades were made.

2. Boychuk for Jurco would be a horrible trade for the Bruins.

77bestever*

Why do people keep thinking Boychuck is going to be traded....It is laughable......Having said that, Detroit would love KRUG and we should sell high on the guy. He is a Detroit guy and they could use him....

I don't know enough about the Detroit winds to know value but we could ask a lot. Then we can get a complete Dman at some point to play with Dougie...

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Why do people keep thinking Boychuck is going to be traded....It is laughable......Having said that, Detroit would love KRUG and we should sell high on the guy. He is a Detroit guy and they could use him....

I don't know enough about the Detroit winds to know value but we could ask a lot. Then we can get a complete Dman at some point to play with Dougie...

Krug for smith and a pick? Nyquist would be great, but a dream.

It would depend on how high they are on warsofski.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I don't think Detroit is looking to trade those 4 youngsters.

So the wings need dmen and the bruins need wingers. So the bruins call the wings and say ,"hey we'll give you a dman boychuk or McQuaid or bartkowski..take your pick"

So the wings respond "that sounds great! Okay you can have any winger you want except zetterberg and franzen and Tatar and Nyquist and jurco and mantha. Besides them anyone you want..exciting right" not exactly because all it leaves the bruins to pick from is abdelkader and scrubs. So the bruins say okay we'll give you bartkowski and McQuaid for abdelkader.. Deal"

And the wings say "well bartkowski and McQuaid are both top6 dmen but probably in the 4-6 range, not exactly anyone we can get excited about... I think it has to be boychuk since hes a legit top 4 but since he's up at the end of the year, throw in a cost controlled prospect like morrow..do we have a deal bruins fans??"

Of course not. If you take all your interesting wingers off the market why would we be good trade partners if we need wingers.

I took the liberty of taking franzen off the list for you even though the b,s wouldn't want his price tag.

I do like abdelkader a lot, he would be a great 3rd line winger in Boston, but it would be bartkowski and either a mid level prospect or a low end NHL dman like McQuaid for him from my perspective because a 3rd line left wing isn't exactly a need, its a luxury

DitClapper

May 15, 2014

Not laughable. What's laughable is people wanting to trade Chara. Johnny's contract is up next season. We have Krejci, Soderberg, and Hamilton to sign. All due some heavy cash. I don't want to trade JB, but he is dealable. We have a surplus of Dmen, and need some offense. It's reality.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Not laughable. What's laughable is people wanting to trade Chara. Johnny's contract is up next season. We have Krejci, Soderberg, and Hamilton to sign. All due some heavy cash. I don't want to trade JB, but he is dealable. We have a surplus of Dmen, and need some offense. It's reality.

We have a surplus of bottom pairing D. Trade Johnny, and then one injury to any of Chara, Dougie, Seids and you're looking at two of Krug, McQuaid, Bartkowski, Miller in Boston's top-4. Not exactly a recipe for success.

Not saying Chia won't end up doing it, stranger things have happen and he's in a crunch. But a team with Chara at his age isn't looking to next offseason as much as they're looking at next postseason.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
We have a surplus of bottom pairing D. Trade Johnny, and then one injury to any of Chara, Dougie, Seids and you're looking at two of Krug, McQuaid, Bartkowski, Miller in Boston's top-4. Not exactly a recipe for success.

Not saying Chia won't end up doing it, stranger things have happen and he's in a crunch. But a team with Chara at his age isn't looking to next offseason as much as they're looking at next postseason.

Absolutely. But I don't get when people say it's laughable. There's possibility it could happen. I don't want it too, it's just reality.

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
Absolutely. But I don't get when people say it's laughable. There's possibility it could happen. I don't want it too, it's just reality.

100% agree. I certainly would hate the idea of facing Boychuk & Kronwall numerous times a year. If Johnny gets traded I would hope it's to a western conference team or at the very least in the metro division.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
100% agree. I certainly would hate the idea of facing Boychuk & Kronwall numerous times a year. If Johnny gets traded I would hope it's to a western conference team or at the very least in the metro division.

Johnny Boychuk and Nik Kronwall on the same team would make my username a little more interesting... :laugh:

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

So how much $ is JB worth next year??

I personally do not think he's worth whatever it is he'd be seeking.

To me its a trade that has to made, especially if the Bruins don't re-sign him.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Based on what Orpik's deal was like and the cap going up with the new Canadian TV deal money starting next off season, Boychuk could get between 5 to 6.5 a year for 5+ years, possibly more from a team that has to overpay to attract free agents.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Based on what Orpik's deal was like and the cap going up with the new Canadian TV deal money starting next off season, Boychuk could get between 5 to 6.5 a year for 5+ years, possibly more from a team that has to overpay to attract free agents.

Exactly. IMO he's not worth that much and as a result I'd explore trading him.

I'm a big fan of JB but not at that price.

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008

The trade market hasn't been great this offseason. If you can trade him for something that helps the team now, then it makes sense but I'm willing to bet it'll end up being a prospect and pick that are both years away from helping. I haven't seen many realistic trade proposals involving Johnny, teams aren't giving up Coyle or Mantha for a player a year away from UFA.

Again I don't see Chiarelli looking any further into the future than next postseason.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
The trade market hasn't been great this offseason. If you can trade him for something that helps the team now, then it makes sense but I'm willing to bet it'll end up being a prospect and pick that are both years away from helping. I haven't seen many realistic trade proposals involving Johnny, teams aren't giving up Coyle or Mantha for a player a year away from UFA.

Again I don't see Chiarelli looking any further into the future than next postseason.

How about JB and Kelly to Edmonton for D. Perron?

And to stay on topic of "Is Detroit a good trading partner."

I'd do Boychuk for Nyquist straight up in a heart beat.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The only problem with moving Boychuk is now the Bruins would wind up looking for a number 4 D at the deadline, and I think Chiarelli is wretched at the deadline. I love McQuaid and Miller but if either of them is playing more than 15 minutes a night there is a big problem. Krug is still a power play/limited minutes type player and Bartkowski should be getting fitted for his Islander jersey ASAP.

Chiarelli needs to find another way around the cap issues he has, that said I would think long and hard about Mantha. Really like his game and size and could be a go to winger for years to come.

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
How about JB and Kelly to Edmonton for D. Perron?

And to stay on topic of "Is Detroit a good trading partner."

I'd do Boychuk for Nyquist straight up in a heart beat.

I'd be fine with that trade but would Edmonton? As for the Detroit deal, again why would a team trade a young cost controlled player that is having success and has a boat load of potential for a future UFA? I'd love Coyle, Nyquist, Mantha, Ritchie, Nino, Silfverberg, Etem, or Stone. I just don't see a team trading one for a player who's a UFA in 12 months.

There's plenty of teams that make sense to send Johnny to, but not a lot of good trade chips on the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad