Determining the winner of Vedder's Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2004
For those of us in Vedder's mock draft who have put a good month and a little bit into picking our teams, I know you all want a little more satisfaction than just making your last pick.

So what I am proposing is a playoff like system to determine the winner. I can take charge if no one minds.

Here's how it works:

Since there are thirty teams, we divide them by NHL current division allignment into 6 groups of 5, 3 groups per "conference". I will create a new post for each group where anyone and everyone can vote in a poll which team is the best from that group. The top 2 teams from each group move on.

I will then reorganize into 2 groups of 6, one per conference, at which point we will vote again and the top 2 teams from those groups will move on to the semi-finals.

The semi-finals will be between teams from their respective conferences and the teams with the most votes will play in the finals.

In the event of a tie, Vedder(the guy who started this all) will have the tiebreaking vote.

That's my idea, thoughts?

Mat

Hercules Rockefeller said:
No need for the division system. We might as well just give it to Anaheim already. ;)

Oh, come on. You know if I didn't say it about my team someone else would've about theirs.

I don't know about the Western Conference, but I know in the East it'll be the Penguins and Islanders tied in the semi-finals ;)

Mat

leafs4thecup said:

I love this idea

But don't jump the gun, and make sure it happens after the trading deadline.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
and waht about us that planned for the long term

I say we have

best first year team

best five year team

and best long term team

and of course

t team that just ****ing sucks

Feb 24, 2004
jumptheshark said:
and waht about us that planned for the long term

I say we have

best first year team

best five year team

and best long term team

and of course

t team that just ****ing sucks

It's best team period taking all of these things into account. Anyone can draft a team of prospects and say they'll be good in five years. It's the best team taking everything into account.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
leafs4thecup said:
It's best team period taking all of these things into account. Anyone can draft a team of prospects and say they'll be good in five years. It's the best team taking everything into account.
well said - i like the idea

BringGilmourBack

Sep 1, 2003
leafs4thecup said:
For those of us in Vedder's mock draft who have put a good month and a little bit into picking our teams, I know you all want a little more satisfaction than just making your last pick.

So what I am proposing is a playoff like system to determine the winner. I can take charge if no one minds.

Here's how it works:

Since there are thirty teams, we divide them by NHL current division allignment into 6 groups of 5, 3 groups per "conference". I will create a new post for each group where anyone and everyone can vote in a poll which team is the best from that group. The top 2 teams from each group move on.

I will then reorganize into 2 groups of 6, one per conference, at which point we will vote again and the top 2 teams from those groups will move on to the semi-finals.

The semi-finals will be between teams from their respective conferences and the teams with the most votes will play in the finals.

In the event of a tie, Vedder(the guy who started this all) will have the tiebreaking vote.

Great Idea! Kudos! Count me in. We definately should do something with our teams.

Feb 24, 2004
Vedder19 said:
Great Idea! Kudos! Count me in. We definately should do something with our teams.

Awesome, so I'll just take care of posting the voting threads and such at a reasonable date after trading has been done, I'll also copy and paste the rosters into the thread so ppl can vote.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Definitely not a good idea..

This is a franchise draft, setting up a poll meaning only the teams who drafted to win now stand a chance. My team for example will enter its prime about 2/3 years from now. It's unfair to a lot of teams..

If you want to do something with it, start up a career league based on stats..

EDIT: Never mind.. didn't read the whole thing. But I still digg my idea much better..

mytor4*

and boys remember we should base our vote on the new nhl. if they proceed to call the infractions and open up the game it should change you opinion on some teams. not to single out any team but as example wolfen,s st louis team he's picked, wouldn't let too many goals in during a game but wouldn't score many either. but in todays new nhl i think his team is built to parade to the penalty box all night. still a hard team to score on but with his lack of offence and most other teams powerplay he in to deep with the new nhl. just my opinion and hope we all consider what direction the nhl is headed and how it will affect teams and players.it could change on how you vote if you think about it.

wolfen

Jan 26, 2003
seattle
Visit site
Ott = Snott said:
This is a franchise draft, setting up a poll meaning only the teams who drafted to win now stand a chance. My team for example will enter its prime about 2/3 years from now. It's unfair to a lot of teams..

If you want to do something with it, start up a career league based on stats..

drafting for a stat-based league is completely different than drafting a team...

personally I don't care much about "who's best" polls, but I would definitely like to see plenty of discussion about the different teams when this thing's done.

if we really want to know who did what, the best thing to do is come back and look at the teams a year from now. Or 3 or 5.

Corvus Corax

Prospectin
Apr 22, 2005
Northern BC
i think boston put out a tough Bruins type team with the exception on defense, could have used a bigger more bruising dman, oh well see when the trading begins.
the wild on the other hand I find the first line very small and weak, i dont like it. I will probably end up trying to trade off all three of tanguay, riberio and stillman

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Should there be any trading at all ?

Doesn't that kind of screw up the whole "let's see who drafted the best team" ???

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I think trading adds an entire different element to building a team. Not only with the draft but by trades your also building a team.

In fact, I think we should start trading now. When rosters are complete it's going to be tough trading as you can pretty much only trade for the same position. By trading now we can move a forward for a goalie/defenseman or maybe move up a draft pick, and fill holes created with our remaining picks.

I can be a trade "commisioner" if its ok to keep track of trades if it's ok.

BringGilmourBack

Sep 1, 2003
Just wanted to make an announcement....

the trading period will commence in three seconds....3...2...1...BEGIN![/

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Question: how can we trade, when we don't even know the rules for winning?

I.e. Are we trying to build the best team for NOW? For Future? best team period? Determined by voting? by fantasy game program? how?

Mat

a) trade by negotiating with GM's through the PM system
the finalized trade should then be posted in the trade thread for ratification

b) we are making the best all around teams for now. of course, if you have a lot of superstar vets, one could argue they would get injured and not be as effective as it looks, conversely, if its all stud young guys, they dont have enough "experience".....so we're aiming for the middle

Feb 24, 2004
neogeo69 said:
Question: how can we trade, when we don't even know the rules for winning?

I.e. Are we trying to build the best team for NOW? For Future? best team period? Determined by voting? by fantasy game program? how?

It's the best team. It encompasses all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad