Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Thomas Vanek (1 year, $2.600M AAV)

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Vanek/Nielsen/Larkin/Tatar/Nyqvist/Zetterberg? Who am I forgetting?

That's 2 players on a sharp decline in that top 6.

Justin Abdelkader.

I've heard mixed opinions on him.

Recent team's fans... How has he played? Any chance he snags 30G for Detroit again?

Haha, no. Detroit only had two 20 goal scorers last year, which was Dylan Larkin leading the team at 23G and Tomas Tatar getting 21G somehow with his **** ice time and usage.

Vanek IMO gets about 17G 14A.

Vanek and Mantha are both shoot first powerforwards. I like Vanek, but this blocks Mantha for a year, in which I think he is ready for the big leagues. Also takes away minutes from AA I would think.

Don't hate it, don't love it. Guessing Jurcs is gone somehow.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I've heard mixed opinions on him.

Recent team's fans... How has he played? Any chance he snags 30G for Detroit again?

There's always a chance. His shot rates fell a lot in Minnesota, and he became much more of a passer. But he's still got ridiculous skill.

Just know what your getting, he doesn't know what d zone looks like, and is a turnover machine. He just looks lazy out there 90% of the time.

Put he'll pop in 40-55 points, which for 2.6 million is a damn good use of funds. Just don't expect him to be something he's not, and enjoy the points.

LowFive

In Stevie We Trust
Jun 19, 2014
Im fine with this. He's only a few seasons removed from being great. A change of scenery again might do him some good if he fits well with our group.

Praying this is prelude to a trade too.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Justin Abdelkader.

Haha, no. Detroit only had two 20 goal scorers last year, which was Dylan Larkin leading the team at 23G and Tomas Tatar getting 21G somehow with his **** ice time and usage.

Vanek IMO gets about 17G 14A.

Vanek and Mantha are both shoot first powerforwards. I like Vanek, but this blocks Mantha for a year, in which I think he is ready for the big leagues. Also takes away minutes from AA I would think.

Don't hate it, don't love it. Guessing Jurcs is gone somehow.

You might be the first person to ever, in the entire history of the world, describe Vanek as a power forward.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
No they're not.

Actually they are. AA was on pace for 30 points as a rookie and is the fastest skater in the NHL. Mantha just broke out in Grand Rapids and was huge on Detroit's PP. Didn't look out of place in the NHL.

These guys are legit.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Good signing for one year, why not?

People say he's lost all speed but I'm sure he eil bounce back to some degree in Detroit. Still, a week ago it was talk of Stamkos. Nielsen and Vanek on a prove it contract is underwhelming compared to that.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
Actually they are. AA was on pace for 30 points as a rookie and is the fastest skater in the NHL. Mantha just broke out in Grand Rapids and was huge on Detroit's PP. Didn't look out of place in the NHL.

These guys are legit.
So were Pulkkinen and Jurco.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
I believe he's going to be motivated and play better than when he was here. I've always liked his skill but sometimes he doesn't exactly give enough effort.

Hopefully he becomes the scorer he was in Buffalo for the Wings.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
So were Pulkkinen and Jurco.
They actually still are legit, which is the problem. If they sucked, Holland would just trade them away or waive them. They're in the no man's land the DRW create for themselves: too good to give up on, but not trustworthy/consistent enough to play.

Brendan Smith is in the same boat. It's more of an organizational problem than an indictment of the players.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Our prospects aren't as good as our fanbase thinks they are.

You got good prospects, especially for where you've been drafting. Probably the best in the league at grooming for the NHL, but the pissing matches over Stamkos where Detroit fans were arguing their prospect pool is as deep as Buffalo and Toronto was pretty out of touch. It's not even Detroit fault, Buffalo and Toronto bottomed out to build their prospect pools with the best young talent in the world.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
They actually still are legit, which is the problem. If they sucked, Holland would just trade them away. They're in the no man's land the DRW create for themselves: too good to trade, but we don't trust you enough to play you.

Brendan Smith is in the same boat. It's more of an organizational problem than an indictment of the players.
You think Pulks and Jurco are good and I'm the one that's out to lunch?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Wings will get the best out of him. Still the best organization in hockey. They'll make the playoffs again next year.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
I hate to go all philosophy on you, but it depends on what you mean by good. I think they both still have a shot at being solid depth NHLers. It just won't be in Detroit. But for that to happen, Holland needs to let them go, which he won't do for some reason.
"solid depth NHLers" is a far cry from what we expected.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Our prospects aren't as good as our fanbase thinks they are.

You say that but the prospects Detroit doesn't even want and casts off like Janmark, Nestrasil, etc go on to be solid NHL'ers....I can only wonder what the guys they actually like could do if given an opportunity....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad