Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Thomas Greiss signs with the Red Wings (2 years, $3.8M AAV)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Last good UFA goalie signed now. Everything thats left is old guys on their last legs or not so great options. Aaron Dell might be the best of the rest.

Of course there's also Fleury , Columbus goalies and one of Mrazek/Reimer in Carolina ( if they can upgrade )

Price seems fine. Right in line with the other UFA goalies that signed ( outside of Markström )

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think Mrazek to Edmonton and Fleury to Carolina is really all that is left in terms of options for Edmonton. Hell, that may be the only option for Vegas at this point too.

Instead of helping Vegas getting better by helping facilitate Fleury to Carolina they should just sign Aaron Dell. He's not worse than Mrazek . If Vegas manages to find a way to clear out Fleury and sign Pietro thats very bad news for the Oilers who are in Vegas division.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The Oilers are going to have to be creative now. There’s a few teams who could still take on Fleury’s contract, get something from Vegas for doing so, then flipping him to Edmonton retaining salary and getting even more from the Oilers.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Pretty impressive that Yzerman hasn't had to overpay any of the UFA signings so far, considering how bad we are. Guess he's selling them on more ice time to up their value

They all probably thought they were signing with Tampa.:laugh:

"Defending champs, year-round sandals, no state tax? Sure why not?" *signs contract* "um wait, you're with Detroit now?"

"Do you have whiteout?"

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Good Luck Greiss and thank you for your service!

Just FYI. When Greiss is having an off day...he's having an off day and you need to pull him asap!

Other than that, he'll be a good goalie and he knows Nielsen very well.

Reactions: On Edge

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Im surprised Greiss didn't end up on a more competitive team. Looked like there were some tandem spots open on teams players would see as potential contenders.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Im surprised Greiss didn't end up on a more competitive team. Looked like there were some tandem spots open on teams players would see as potential contenders.

Likely he was looking for too much money initially and then every other good UFA goali signed which lead all the spots on competetive teams beeing filled. Took one of the last spots that was looking to spend on a goalie.

Well outside of Edmonton but it seems barely anyone wants to go there .

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
If somebody needs a goalie they can call Vegas. Greiss is a good goalie if you looking for a 1a/1b tandom but if I am Edmonton or Carolina I wouldn't want Greiss as my #1
Bernier is actually a decent backup/low end starter and performed a lot better than his numbers indicate so we may see him and Greiss battle it out a little bit this season. I’d give Greiss an edge but it’s hard to gauge Bernier based upon the terrible teams he’s played for.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I wonder if it has to do with respect as well. Yzerman carries himself pretty well compared to other GM’s.

Yzerman has carried himself as an exceptional person for decades.

You have the guys like Sean Avery who are just complete jackasses who don’t respect anybody say “I loved Stevie. Stevie was my leader”.

Reactions: Adityase

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Was likely wanting over $4m aav yesterday... today he realized he needed to settle for less as the market was drying up and couldn't risk ending up without a ride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad