Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Red Wings sign free agent G Jussi Olkinuora (1 year, $750k, two-way)

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The interesting thing is that he had signed a contract with Bienne of the Swiss NLA for the upcoming season, but then turned around and signed this one with Detroit. I am sure that he must have had an NHL out clause in the contract or if not, Bienne gentlemanly decided to allow him to back out of his contract, but still it is a bit of a scummy move from him, imo.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The interesting thing is that he had signed a contract with Bienne of the Swiss NLA for the upcoming season, but then turned around and signed this one with Detroit. I am sure that he must have had an NHL out clause in the contract or if not, Bienne gentlemanly decided to allow him to back out of his contract, but still it is a bit of a scummy move from him, imo.
Sedlak just did it too. Most European leagues have a transfer agreement with the NHL - I think till like July 15 players under contract can sign in the NHL - the players team gets compensated with money.

I don’t think it’s a scummy move at all, teams are aware their higher profile players may seek an NHL move if an opportunity presents itself before that July date. The European calendar and transfer season starts sooner than the NHL so often a player will sign with their Euro club when the Euro window opens and then receive NHL interest when the NHL off season gets rolling later on.

rimpirate

Nov 19, 2013
No out clause, just the standard transfer agreement. Also no compensation for EHC Biel since the transfer agreement compensates for tje last four years and not for the next season (source: interview with Biel's GM Martin Steinegger in the local newspaper).

Through my red-and-yellow-colored glasses, it is a bit of a scummy move since he was already hired as replacement for our injured starting goalie Joren van Pottelberghe (out at least till 2023).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad