Trade: [DET/PHI] Golden Tate for 3rd round pick

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Disappointed as a Lions fan but they weren't going to re-sign him anyway and need to use that money to address other needs so I'm ok with it.

I guess with the Seattle loss and the ridiculously tough schedule coming up, the Lions are waiving the white flag on the season.

Reactions: tacogeoff

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Disappointed as a Lions fan but they weren't going to re-sign him anyway and need to use that money to address other needs so I'm ok with it.

I guess with the Seattle loss and the ridiculously tough schedule coming up, the Lions are waiving the white flag on the season.

yup what a mess. beat the Pats and the Packers but lose to the Jets and 9ers.

the crazy thing is the NFC north is still up for grabs lol.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
yup what a mess. beat the Pats and the Packers but lose to the Jets and 9ers.

the crazy thing is the NFC north is still up for grabs lol.

It is but they play the Panthers and Rams out of division and still have all their division road games left including a Frozen Tundra Green Bay matchup to close the season. The Seattle game was a must win IMO and management knows it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
More than anything, this to me signals the continued change of philosophy for the Lions offense away from Stafford throwing it up 40-50 times a game. Feed Kerryon Johnson and you still have two good starting WR's.

Interested how the Eagles use Tate. He's pretty much a better version of Agholor, so we'll see how they co-exist.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I wonder if the Lions are going after Patrick Peterson. I been a Lions fan all my life and hate to see Tate go. Him and Sly have been my two favorite Lions for a few seasons now and Tate might be getting up in age but he is a type of player that should age well. The Eagles will be very happy with him.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
I wonder if the Lions are going after Patrick Peterson. I been a Lions fan all my life and hate to see Tate go. Him and Sly have been my two favorite Lions for a few seasons now and Tate might be getting up in age but he is a type of player that should age well. The Eagles will be very happy with him.
I'd be thrilled if they actually got him, but not going to hold my breath. Stafford needs to do what other QB's have done to win, and restructure his contract a little bit to help the team. I promise his life style won't change a bit and he'll hardly notice it in the long term. Just doesn't seem to be worth or giving the effort to merit such a contract.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I'd be thrilled if they actually got him, but not going to hold my breath. Stafford needs to do what other QB's have done to win, and restructure his contract a little bit to help the team. I promise his life style won't change a bit and he'll hardly notice it in the long term. Just doesn't seem to be worth or giving the effort to merit such a contract.

Without Stafford the Lions wouldn't have had many wins at all. He isn't in the top 5 of qbs but he is better then average and with a better o-line and a run game he has looked better. I do think in the off season he could restructure if needed to bring in more players. If the Lions trade Tate and don't make another deal this deadline I will be upset because they have a chance to be a playoff team and trading away one of your best players for a third round pick that might bust sucks.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
This is one of those things that you're fine with if you make the playoffs, but you wind up looking pretty stupid if you don't.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

There was a pretty good consensus among Detroit fans that he should be traded after those first two games(through no fault of his own). Those games are which really killed the Lions.

In addition I felt like the Seattle game was a potential playoff play-in game. Seattle has better odds with their division as a wild card where it was a must win for Detroit. Granted they can still make it but I all but wrote them off as a playoff team after Sunday.

Acquring Harrison was for this year and beyond. So I'm quite okay with this move.

Reactions: McCupofOil

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
As a Packers fan living around Seattle I have seen him both on the Seahawks and in division games with the Lions against the Pack. Big fan of Tate. I feel like he is one of the under-appreciated WR's in the league.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The surprise is that Philadelphia hasn't obtained a RB(yet) at a relatively good cost. So the other alternative might just be throw more.

There is nothing wrong with Tate. Just getting older, probably will start getting nicked up more/breaking down after years of being an iron man and likely wasn't going to be resigned.

He'll be missed but I understand it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad