Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Petr Mrazek (2 years, $4M AAV)

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
And as I said they don't have to be compliant after training camp. The LTIR exception can be exercised during training camp, before the season starts. The cap relief gained can differ depending on whether a team exercises the LTIR exception during training camp vs doing so on day 1.

Maybe the Bruins way to do it was to get as much benefit possible Cap wise?

Anyway, we'll see if you're right and what Detroit does. They are over the Cap and need to shed money one way or the other. And their lineup is barely a playoffs team.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
They still have to be accounted on the Cap for day 1 before being put on LTIR. Same as the Bruins with Savard.

Wingz will have to trade someone.

No we don't have to trade any one here. With both Mrazek and DDK on arbitration Detroit gets a 2nd buy out window like the Rangers did. Holland could buy out Howard saving $3.5 million for this year and then he could send down Larkin clearing another $925.000 and be cap compliant. Though i seriously doubt that Holland is willing to buy out Howard around now. but we should have a 48 hour buy out window coming up here shortly so we shall see what Holland does.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
No we don't have to trade any one here. With both Mrazek and DDK on arbitration Detroit gets a 2nd buy out window like the Rangers did. Holland could buy out Howard saving $3.5 million for this year and then he could send down Larkin clearing another $925.000 and be cap compliant. Though i seriously doubt that Holland is willing to buy out Howard around now. but we should have a 48 hour buy out window coming up here shortly so we shall see what Holland does.

LMFAO

You follow "they could buy out Howard and send down Larkin" with, "though I seriously doubt they will buy out Howard?

Why on earth would they send down Larkin?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

Maybe Big Rig perhaps? One could only hope.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
My guess was a two year deal worth between 7 and 8M, so I managed to squeeze into the realm of being correct (unfamiliar territory). Seems like a solid deal, might cost the Wings a fair bit in a couple years though if Mrazek continues his development.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
still surprised they signed Vanek with all those wingers

I'm not. RH scorer with size, on a team full of smaller LH playmakers. Good fit, and a bargain price.

Surprised they signed Helm to stupid money and Steve Ott, though.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
A buy out of Big Rig would be a waste of a buy out. He can just retire and weren't hit with the recapture penalty like we would be with Zetterberg, Kronwall or Franzen because their deals were so front loaded where Ericsson's remains the same for the entire contract at $4.25 million.

Ya but if he retires he doesn't get paid. I think it would be pretty tough to convince him to pass up all that money.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
LMFAO

You follow "they could buy out Howard and send down Larkin" with, "though I seriously doubt they will buy out Howard?

Why on earth would they send down Larkin?

Just for day 1 to be cap compliant, He's waiver exempt and a buy out of Howard plus sending down Larkin puts us about $200,000 under the cap to get cap compliant. That's all it's just for one day. But it's probably not going to happen because Holland doesn't have the nerve any ways to buy out Howard.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
They don't have to trade someone or they don't count on the Cap on day 1?

Bruins had to account for Savard 4.1M Cap hit on day 1 before putting him on LTIR for the year. Why wouldn't it be the same for the Wingz?

You can put players on LTIR on the last day of training camp for cap relief, but it's generally more preferable to put them on LTIR on the first day of the season (and most teams can do this by just sending some players to the AHL for one day to be cap compliant at the start of the season)

Torso9000

Aug 12, 2011
To me, this is the player that I would have thought, more so than Abdelkader, Dekeyser, Helm, Glendening, etc who all got 5+ year extensions over the past year, could have offered you the most surplus value if you were to sign him to a long term deal instead of a bridge.

If Mrzaek continues to progress into an elite starting goalie, you're going to have to pay him accordingly in 2 years time. Can you maybe save a little over the short term by going year-to-year? Sure. But you're going to have to pay a lot more on the back end, so I think I would have committed long term now. Obviously there's risk in doing so, but to me that's a bet worth making with Mrazek.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Ya but if he retires he doesn't get paid. I think it would be pretty tough to convince him to pass up all that money.

Yeah i totally agree he's pretty much said that he has no desire to retire yet, His cap hit is his real money at $4.25 million so that's $17 million that he would be surrendering over the next 4 years of his contract. He would be crazy to do that if he can't play he would be just LTIR like Franzen for the rest of his career.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
By day 1 I meant after training camp. They have to be cap compliant.

To accommodate for the fact that rosters are more fluid in the off-season, the Collective Bargaining Agreement allows teams to go temporarily over the salary cap by up to 10% of the upper limit until the last day of training camp. This means that teams must become salary cap compliant before they can place players on LTIR since the injury exception to the cap does not come into effect until the season has started. That could cause problems for a team if they intend to spend near the salary cap and can't (or don't want to) pass sufficient salary through waivers.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
A buy out of Big Rig would be a waste of a buy out. He can just retire and weren't hit with the recapture penalty like we would be with Zetterberg, Kronwall or Franzen because their deals were so front loaded where Ericsson's remains the same for the entire contract at $4.25 million.

Yikes. Zero chance any player would do a team a favor and retire with $17 mil in their contract still on the table

The best you can hope for is for a player to fake an injury and sit on LTIR forever to just vacation and collect paychecks

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Yeah i totally agree he's pretty much said that he has no desire to retire yet, His cap hit is his real money at $4.25 million so that's $17 million that he would be surrendering over the next 4 years of his contract. He would be crazy to do that if he can't play he would be just LTIR like Franzen for the rest of his career.

Exactly why I think he would be a good buy out candidate.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
To accommodate for the fact that rosters are more fluid in the off-season, the Collective Bargaining Agreement allows teams to go temporarily over the salary cap by up to 10% of the upper limit until the last day of training camp. This means that teams must become salary cap compliant before they can place players on LTIR since the injury exception to the cap does not come into effect until the season has started. That could cause problems for a team if they intend to spend near the salary cap and can't (or don't want to) pass sufficient salary through waivers.

You can place players on LTIR during the last day of the off season to be cap compliant, but it's more preferable to do it on day 1 of the season.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Exactly why I think he would be a good buy out candidate.

Problem is the term.

Sure, Howards buyout hit is a tad more, but only for 6 years

Ericsson would carry a buyout hit for 8 years and would be pretty much the same buyout hit as Howard (except Howards buyout hit would jump for year 3 of 6)

Howard buyout cap hit
$1.4
$1.9
$2.6
$1.6
$1.6
$1.6

Ericsson buyout cap hit
$1.6
$1.6
$1.37
$1.37
$1.37
$1.37
$1.37
$1.37

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Problem is the term.

Sure, Howards buyout hit is a tad more, but only for 6 years

Ericsson would carry a buyout hit for 8 years and would be pretty much the same buyout hit as Howard (except Howards buyout hit would jump for year 3 of 6)

Howard buyout cap hit
$1.4
$1.9
$2.6
$1.6
$1.6
$1.6

Ericsson buyout cap hit
$1.6
$1.6
$1.37
$1.37
$1.37
$1.37
$1.37
$1.37

I don't disagree, I just don't see Holland buying out Howard.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Cap Friendly showing Mrazek as a UFA in 2 years after this deal, He still has 3 years as RFA 1 more year after these 2 years Cap Friendly has it wrong there. Edit never mind now they show him with another RFA they must of corrected themselves.

Group Chat Legend*

Lowballing your stud young goaltender, great way to lose him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad