Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Patrick Kane signs with the Red Wings (1 year, $2.75M)

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Contenders don't have money.

Detroit can pay him, possibly make the playoffs, and if they're on the outside looking in by the TDL, offload him to the contender of his choosing at 50% retention for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Boston or Toronto so he can continue his original six tour.

Reactions: Voight

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I thought he wanted to go to a winning team lol. Detroit ain’t there yet

Standings.png

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Contenders don't have money.

Detroit can pay him, possibly make the playoffs, and if they're on the outside looking in by the TDL, offload him to the contender of his choosing at 50% retention for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
I agree with you about moving him at the deadline if needed. I’d like to see the money on this deal cause I didn’t think it would be big money and other teams could have made a small move to fit him in but we will see

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
It was weird to see Kane playing for any team that wasn't the Blackhawks, back when he was traded to NYR. But I now have to see him as a Red Wing!?

I don't think my eyes can take it. It's a travesty!

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Have fun with one hip Kane Detroit

At best he's a decent contributor and a net positive for the team, whether we ride him into a playoff spot or trade him for a pick at the deadline because we're out.

At worst, he's not the same after the surgery and we eat not even a full year of a broken down player for the chance to get a petty dig at Chicago by dressing their biggest star of their last run in our jersey.

The worst doesn't really sound all that bad to me...

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Called it, my friend kept insisting he’ll join Sabres.

But yeah, 2023-24 Kane most likely isn’t gonna be a player to push Detroit over the hump

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Much like the Red Wings, totally up in the air as to how this season will go. Will be interesting to follow.

I remember having a conversation about early standings with Detroit fans last year too

I really don't give a f*** lol.

He does good? Great. He helps.
He does bad? Oh well. It's a 1 year deal and we get to parade our historical rival's biggest star of the last generation around in our jersey.
We do good? Great. It's better than we've done in nearly a decade.
We do bad? Oh well. Again. It's a 1 year deal, and maybe we can offload him at the deadline for a pick.

Kane signs with a team that has money to pay him and either plays with Detroit in the playoffs or Detroit trades him at the deadline to somebody who will be in the playoffs.

Barring him going the Backstrom route, sounds like a win-win to me.

Reading between the lines... Detroit has more money than Florida. :laugh:

Reactions: markog

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
At a 1 year deal there’s really no downside.

They either get a good top 6 forward for free on a team that really needs secondary scoring

Or

He blows and goes on LTIR (more what I expect to happen)
Per multiple sources

Friedman and Dreger tweeter the confirmation, X will not let me link for some reason.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Cup contender - is that better for you?

Plenty of teams that make the playoffs every year aren't considered Cup contenders around here. The Red Wings have never made the playoffs with this core, so it's not exactly unreasonable to not call them a Cup contender yet even if they make the playoffs.

My point is portrayed perfectly below.

Which bona fide Cup contender had the money/cap to sign Kane?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Why would I be salty? All I said was Detroit isn't a Cup contender and the standings in November don't really have any bearing on that. I didn't even say anything about Toronto, you just felt the need to troll.

Maybe we can be great all season and then get bounced in April like our brothers three hours to the east.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Very curious to see how Kane does. It's not too long ago he was close to league leaders in scoring, pacing for 100+ points...who knows how much or for how long this injury slowed him down, could have been for a while.

With a big rest and recovery - maybe he comes back to form?
The last time he paced for 100 points was 5 seasons ago and a big hip surgery ago.

Good luck.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
To date, no one has been the same player after that procedure.

Notable players: Backstrom(Capitals) LTIR
Jovanovski retired shortly after it. Played 37 more games after the procedure.
Kesler never played again.
Silinger had it done too.

“They dislocate your joint,” Jovanovski said to Custance. “Pull it out of your leg. Then shave the femoral head down to a certain size and cap it with titanium. Then do the same for your socket, shaving out the socket and hammering in a new socket where everything kind of joins together.”

Professional athletes that get hip resurfacing surgery typically do not have successful return
Rough surgery to go through. One question I have is, how much does the prior history of hip injuries and surgeries comes into play with regards to the recovery from this type of surgery?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Should this be confirmed signing or speculation. if I read it right sounds like he will most likely sign with Detroit but there is no ink on the contract yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad