Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Patrick Kane signs with the Red Wings (1 year, $2.75M)

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Can someone more educated carry me through a 'hip resurfacing' and what exactly it entails? Sounds nasty. Do NHL players typically rebound after this kind of surgery?

Wonder if it's a multi-year contract like speculated a few weeks ago...

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Can someone more educated carry me through a 'hip resurfacing' and what exactly it entails? Sounds nasty. Do NHL players typically rebound after this kind of surgery?

• Make an incision in your thigh to reach the hip joint.
  • Dislocate the femoral head out of the socket.
  • Trim the head with specially designed power instruments.
  • Cement a metal cap over the prepared femoral head.
  • Use a power tool called a reamer to remove the cartilage that lines the socket.
  • Push a metal cup into the socket; the cup is held in place by friction between the bone and the metal.
  • Once the cup is in place, position the femoral head back into the socket, and close the incision.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Backstrom, Jovanovski, and Kesler all had it. None made it to the 40 game mark so the odds aren't in Kane's favour sadly.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

To date, no one has been the same player after that procedure.

Notable players: Backstrom(Capitals) LTIR
Jovanovski retired shortly after it. Played 37 more games after the procedure.
Kesler never played again.
Silinger had it done too.

“They dislocate your joint,” Jovanovski said to Custance. “Pull it out of your leg. Then shave the femoral head down to a certain size and cap it with titanium. Then do the same for your socket, shaving out the socket and hammering in a new socket where everything kind of joins together.”

Professional athletes that get hip resurfacing surgery typically do not have successful returns

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto

It’s a really fcked up surgery for an nhl er to have

Reactions: FloJack

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Really interested to see if he can come back from that hip resurfacing surgery that has seemed to be such a death knell for so many players.

Will be interesting to see him with Debrincat again.

Curious about money and term. Wings can use some scoring and have a decent top 9 center core now and for the future. Perhaps it will do their young guys good to play with a dynamic cup winner, or perhaps he'll peter out and be ineffective and play on the perimeter.

The NHL is a better place when Kane is dancing out there so I think I wish him well (Beach stuff notwithstanding).

Reactions: PP Subban

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I like the move for Detroit. Very very low risk since it’s just a 1 year deal.

I don’t think he will be the same player after this surgery. But if they shelter him with low minutes on 2nd or 3rd line and some PP time, he may do ok for them. It’s good depth.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
To date, no one has been the same player after that procedure.

Notable players: Backstrom(Capitals) LTIR
Jovanovski retired shortly after it. Played 37 more games after the procedure.
Kesler never played again.
Silinger had it done too.

“They dislocate your joint,” Jovanovski said to Custance. “Pull it out of your leg. Then shave the femoral head down to a certain size and cap it with titanium. Then do the same for your socket, shaving out the socket and hammering in a new socket where everything kind of joins together.”

Professional athletes that get hip resurfacing surgery typically do not have successful returns
😬 I get dizzy at at the Dentist.... oof

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
CM Punk returns to WWE, now Patrick Kane is a Detroit Red Wing. Hell has frozen over.
Hell will officially freeze over when CM Punk walks out in Chicago wearing a Kane Red Wings Jersey.

And they’ll still miss the playoffs.

So we unload Kane, Ghost, Sprong, Perron to contenders and continue to accumulate futures?

Darn. Sucks to be a team that gets f***ed over in the lottery and still rebuilds better than the teams winning it.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I’m surprised he didn’t sign one year with a SC contender. Interesting…..

Contenders don't have money.

Detroit can pay him, possibly make the playoffs, and if they're on the outside looking in by the TDL, offload him to the contender of his choosing at 50% retention for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad