Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Patrick Kane signs with the Red Wings (1 year, $2.75M)

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Question for Red wings fans With Seider, Raymond RFAs and Ghost being a UFA with only 30 mill to sign those 3 guys plus 9 more players are you able to give Kane a fair market value contract and would you really want to with your goalie issues?

I wouldn't expect to see Ghost with Detroit next year.

He and his agent would have to be very, very stupid to not cash in on as much money and term as they can possibly get with the numbers he's putting up. And Yzerman isn't giving him money or term.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
I wouldn't expect to see Ghost with Detroit next year.

He and his agent would have to be very, very stupid to not cash in on as much money and term as they can possibly get with the numbers he's putting up. And Yzerman isn't giving him money or term.
Another reason why I wouldn't be surprised if Kane signed somewhere else. Are they going to be better without ghost? Probably not

• Haha
Reactions: FlyguyOX

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Another reason why I wouldn't be surprised if Kane signed somewhere else. Are they going to be better without ghost? Probably not
Ghost is feasting on PP time right now. Just my personal opinion, but I think Detroit is more than happy to give it to him to keep Seider's stats at bay and control his next contract.

Unplug Ghost and you just move Seider back to the #1PP unit and plug Edvinsson into the 2nd PP. I doubt the difference is all that significant. Ghost doesn't bring much to the table outside his offense.

Kane returning will likely be dependent on:

1. Does he really want to play in Detroit.
2. Does Detroit really want to pay him his asking price and term.

Term is what Yzerman would likely balk at. They can afford the cap.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Ghost is feasting on PP time right now. Just my personal opinion, but I think Detroit is more than happy to give it to him to keep Seider's stats at bay and control his next contract.

Unplug Ghost and you just move Seider back to the #1PP unit and plug Edvinsson into the 2nd PP. I doubt the difference is all that significant. Ghost doesn't bring much to the table outside his offense.

Kane returning will likely be dependent on:

1. Does he really want to play in Detroit.
2. Does Detroit really want to pay him his asking price and term.

Term is what Yzerman would likely balk at. They can afford the cap.
We could also just give him a minimal contract with stacked performance bonuses after this year. So our salary cap is still going to be utilized fairly well and just need to worry about the bonuses the year after.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
We could also just give him a minimal contract with stacked performance bonuses after this year. So our salary cap is still going to be utilized fairly well and just need to worry about the bonuses the year after.

No idea if you're talking Kane or Ghost, but laughing at the idea of either signing a minimum with performance bonuses when they can just as easily go somewhere else and get paid guaranteed money.

Not happening.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They’ll go for guaranteed money before performance bonus.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
No idea if you're talking Kane or Ghost, but laughing at the idea of either signing a minimum with performance bonuses when they can just as easily go somewhere else and get paid guaranteed money.

Not happening.
Talking about kane obviously because he would be the only one we could utilize that for. And I didn't say minimum, i said minimal.

If i said league minimum, then yeah I get what you are saying but you obviously didn't read. That's fine.

It's not "not", more like "maybe" happening.

Regardless, Kane taking a 3-4 mil aav with 4-5 mil in performance bonuses would make sense for yzerman, and potentially makes sense for kane since he wants to break the american born points record (for example purposes).
They’ll go for guaranteed money before performance bonus.
Most likely, I would guess you are correct. But everyone has gone with conventional wisdom with kane and he has yet to go with that way of thinking. Why would he go to detroit just to play with DBC? Why would he go with a team that isn't a contender? Why wouldn't he want to play at home with his dad and his season tickets? Why blah blah blah.

I wouldn't put it past him. He is highly intelligent. If he wants to win a cup in detroit (honestly don't know if he even wants to but lets just say he does) then I would assume he'd rather have a lower aav to bring on more players but the performance bonuses would recoup the difference. I would also probably make the performance bonuses easier than typical to obtain like minimum 50 GP gets x dollars, 60 points gets x dollars, 20-25 goals gets x dollars. All of those are easily attainable if he stays healthy which is the only real question yzerman would have, but so far, he has just looked like he lost acceleration after the surgery and that is it, which is encouraging. And, having easy to obtain goals as long as he is healthy also get's him his money he wants while giving us all that aav next year to mess with.

By then, copp's deal has 1 year left, chiarot is on final year, holl is on his last year, petry is gone, and we can insert edvinsson (probably already on the roster), kasper/danielson (if not there already), mazur, wallinder/ASP/ALJO? ASP is probably a year early so probably not, but never know. All of which would be a net positive in cap hits to the ones that I said are most likely gone. (if chiarot plays next year like this year, maybe he stays idk)

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Talking about kane obviously because he would be the only one we could utilize that for. And I didn't say minimum, i said minimal.

If i said league minimum, then yeah I get what you are saying but you obviously didn't read. That's fine.

It's not "not", more like "maybe" happening.

Regardless, Kane taking a 3-4 mil aav with 4-5 mil in performance bonuses would make sense for yzerman, and potentially makes sense for kane since he wants to break the american born points record (for example purposes).

Most likely, I would guess you are correct. But everyone has gone with conventional wisdom with kane and he has yet to go with that way of thinking. Why would he go to detroit just to play with DBC? Why would he go with a team that isn't a contender? Why wouldn't he want to play at home with his dad and his season tickets? Why blah blah blah.

I wouldn't put it past him. He is highly intelligent. If he wants to win a cup in detroit (honestly don't know if he even wants to but lets just say he does) then I would assume he'd rather have a lower aav to bring on more players but the performance bonuses would recoup the difference. I would also probably make the performance bonuses easier than typical to obtain like minimum 50 GP gets x dollars, 60 points gets x dollars, 20-25 goals gets x dollars. All of those are easily attainable if he stays healthy which is the only real question yzerman would have, but so far, he has just looked like he lost acceleration after the surgery and that is it, which is encouraging. And, having easy to obtain goals as long as he is healthy also get's him his money he wants while giving us all that aav next year to mess with.

By then, copp's deal has 1 year left, chiarot is on final year, holl is on his last year, petry is gone, and we can insert edvinsson (probably already on the roster), kasper/danielson (if not there already), mazur, wallinder/ASP/ALJO? ASP is probably a year early so probably not, but never know. All of which would be a net positive in cap hits to the ones that I said are most likely gone. (if chiarot plays next year like this year, maybe he stays idk)

I don't really give a shit if you said minimum or minimal lol. He's a 35 year old man with a major surgery that most everybody before him has struggled immensely recovering from.

He's not taking performance based money. He's getting guaranteed money. Try again.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I don't really give a shit if you said minimum or minimal lol. He's a 35 year old man with a major surgery that most everybody before him has struggled immensely recovering from.

He's not taking performance based money. He's getting guaranteed money. Try again.
I don't really give a shit about your premise because you couldn't read. Minimum is very different than minimal. Try again.

You acting like it is just a zero possibility is hilarious. Of course it is a possibility. Is it likely? I said maybe happening. Again you didn't read and that is fine.

I am glad to know that you have intimate knowledge of exactly what Kane is going to do, because what you are saying means you know 100%. That is amazing to be in such close proximity to a great player. That's Awesome!

Enjoy the rest of your holiday big guy. Love you lots.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I don't really give a shit about your premise because you couldn't read. Minimum is very different than minimal. Try again.

You acting like it is just a zero possibility is hilarious. Of course it is a possibility. Is it likely? I said maybe happening. Again you didn't read and that is fine.

I am glad to know that you have intimate knowledge of exactly what Kane is going to do, because what you are saying means you know 100%. That is amazing to be in such close proximity to a great player. That's Awesome!

Enjoy the rest of your holiday big guy. Love you lots.

It is zero possibility. But keep trying to convince yourself that it's a possibility. :laugh:

This has nothing to do with intimate knowledge of what Kane is going to do. This is about common sense. He's not taking conditional money when he can get guaranteed money.

I guess you can complain all day that I mistook "Minimum" for "Minimal", but you shouldn't really be surprised that I briefly scan your posts. It's hard to justify dedicating time to a detailed reading when they routinely contain ridiculous takes such as, "Detroit could sign Kane to a minimal deal with performance bonuses".

Last edited:
Reactions: MagicMann13

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
It is zero possibility. But keep trying to convince yourself that it's a possibility. :laugh:

This has nothing to do with intimate knowledge of what Kane is going to do. This is about common sense. He's not taking conditional money when he can get guaranteed money.

I guess you can complain all day that I mistook "Minimum" for "Minimal", but you shouldn't really be surprised that I briefly scan your posts. It's mainly because you post absurd takes like "They could sign Kane to a minimal deal with performance bonuses".
Don't need to convince anyone of anything...and I don't see where I am "complaining" lol. It's more of a fact that minimum is different than minimal, but hey who am i too judge someone you can't interpret things correctly. It's all good sport! :thumbu:

You also keep saying that you "briefly scan your posts" but it really doesn't take a high iq individual to see that i wrote minimal and not minimum. The crazy part is, you love to get so upset with anything that I say and can't wait to respond with some crazy thing like mistakenly thinking I said minimum, and yet there is a neat feature on these boards where you could "ignore" users. Crazy stuff. If you need a tutorial on how to do it, I would be more than happy to help you out with that.

You could also just calm down and stop getting so upset. It just might not be as absurd as you think it is. Omg...you could even say...you could be wrong about all this? I know, I know, I'm wrong, your right...right?

It is okay, I know you are angry sometimes but this too shall pass. Again though, have a great rest of your holiday bud. You little cutie pants.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

I guess you can complain all day that I mistook "Minimum" for "Minimal", but you shouldn't really be surprised that I briefly scan your posts. It's hard to justify dedicating time to a detailed reading when they routinely contain ridiculous takes such as, "Detroit could sign Kane to a minimal deal with performance bonuses".
lol nice edit.

I thought it was pretty easy to read with out any dedication at all to see minimal and minimum. What used to help me when I was in kindergarten is I would just slow down reading the words and then I would actually read what is written out. Been working ever since! Hope that helps out.

Anywho, now that the lovers quarrel is probably done because I'm wrong he's right, Kane has been a revelation! His acceleration has dipped but I think that makes a lot of sense. Knowing he got the same surgery(?) as Murray instead of Backstrom was nice to hear, but you can't teach those hands. Hopefully, he resigns for minimal amount with bonuses vs a 7-9 mil aav contract to help with our cap structure but I am sure Yzerman would try to make it work. Unsure of how, but never know.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Don't need to convince anyone of anything...and I don't see where I am "complaining" lol. It's more of a fact that minimum is different than minimal, but hey who am i too judge someone you can't interpret things correctly. It's all good sport! :thumbu:

You also keep saying that you "briefly scan your posts" but it really doesn't take a high iq individual to see that i wrote minimal and not minimum. The crazy part is, you love to get so upset with anything that I say and can't wait to respond with some crazy thing like mistakenly thinking I said minimum, and yet there is a neat feature on these boards where you could "ignore" users. Crazy stuff. If you need a tutorial on how to do it, I would be more than happy to help you out with that.

You could also just calm down and stop getting so upset. It just might not be as absurd as you think it is. Omg...you could even say...you could be wrong about all this? I know, I know, I'm wrong, your right...right?

It is okay, I know you are angry sometimes but this too shall pass. Again though, have a great rest of your holiday bud. You little cutie pants.

Anyways, once you get over being mad about minimum/minimal, we should definitely discuss why a 35 year old star currently averaging a PPG, who would get offers from multiple teams, would opt to take conditional money over guaranteed.

Nothing says genius like a 35 year old with a major surgery taking a $2.5M/year with millions in conditions over $6M - $7M/year guaranteed. Everybody should do it! :laugh:

Reactions: MagicMann13

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
It is unfortunate he chose to go with a non-contender. Would have been great to see him make one more run in the right team with that cap hit.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
lol at Kane signing a contract with performance bonuses. Not gonna happen.

It is unfortunate he chose to go with a non-contender. Would have been great to see him make one more run in the right team with that cap hit.
Detroit was a perfect fit for Kane. They appeared to have a strong roster and were in playoff contention when the signing finalized. They could also give him a decent contract and had a thin enough lineup that he could slot into the top-6. Either he ends up on a rising team in the playoffs or gets traded to a contender at the deadline if his hip holds up. Detroit either gets a "free" elite player, a decent pick at the deadline, or blew 2.5 million on a gamble. It was a win-win for both parties.

It gave him maximum flexibility and the best shot to prove he can play.

Reactions: Shultzyfeelinirie25

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Debrincat 6 goals in 28 games..

He's about to get really hot again. Wings as a whole got injured and slumped in December. They are due to get hot and make another winning streak. They are too stacked to underachieve for any significant amount of time.

They just need to keep pace, record some wins, then get red hot come April. After that anything can happen.

Last edited:

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Ghost has been awful at 5v5. It's bewildering that he's gifted PP time after being horrendous at EV. You can see the frustration from Seider when he's given all the D-zone starts and tough assignments but not 6v5 and PP1 time.

His skating looked pretty good against us in that crazy 7-6 game.
I still hate his effort in forechecking, backchecking, board battles, etc basically all the little things that add up to winning hockey besides powerplay points. Red wings are my 2nd team so I watch them a lot and I'm not sure they can truly make a run at or in the playoffs with two 5'8" top 6 wingers that can't do the above things.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Kane has all the money in the world already. Money won't be an issue for him, and if it was an issue, he would have signed somewhere else for more money than Detroit gave him.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Kane has all the money in the world already. Money won't be an issue for him, and if it was an issue, he would have signed somewhere else for more money than Detroit gave him.
can you work minimal in your post somewhere just for funzies?

nah nevermind, probably better if you dont....but if you diiiiiiiidd....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad