Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F JT Compher signs with the Red Wings (5 years, $5.1M AAV)

Seider and Donuts

Jul 1, 2023
The best-case scenario seems to be building a Nashville Predators out in the 2nd round in a good year type of forward group, no?

I actually like Detroit a lot. I just got so tired of the constant appeals to authority with Yzerman.

I like Kasper and think that he, Larkin, Rasmussen an Danielson is probably a good spine of solid centers, but the free agent signings don't make sense since, other than Raymond who I'm high on, they don't have much in terms of high talent scorers.

Seems to me the strategy is essentially to try to sign players that keep the team from being absolute bottom feeders (Competitive and not let a losing culture set in) but not sign anybody long term.

I absolutely hate the Chiarot and Holl contracts. But realistically they're both plugs who conveniently expire right around the time Edvinsson and Wallinder should assume more responsibility and ASP hits the league. (Hopefully, there's still a lot that could go right or wrong in that development, obviously)

I'd greatly prefer that situation to having Mayfield or Graves on the books for 6-7 years.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Are you forgetting Beagle, Roussel, and Eriksson?

Like i said, Steve is only 2/3rds of the way there.

But i would posit, that line was not "unremarkable". It was remarkably bad.

Copp and Compher aren't actively useless players. They're just like an aggressive sort of bland. Not good, not terrible...just there.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So tell us what you would’ve done? He was getting that type of a deal somewhere. He’s a good hockey player. Do you know how many guys like him are making $5 million right now? If it doesn’t work, they’ll do something else. The needed competent NHL players.
Yeah. Let him go elsewhere.

He's a useful player. A good 3C. He's not making 3C money.

Yzerman's "strategy" of signing a bunch of mid UFAs to market value didn't work out so well. So apparently the plan is to double down on more mid players that won't move the needle.

Seems to me the strategy is essentially to try to sign players that keep the team from being absolute bottom feeders (Competitive and not let a losing culture set in) but not sign anybody long term.

I absolutely hate the Chiarot and Holl contracts. But realistically they're both plugs who conveniently expire right around the time Edvinsson and Wallinder should assume more responsibility and ASP hits the league. (Hopefully, there's still a lot that could go right or wrong in that development, obviously)

I'd greatly prefer that situation to having Mayfield or Graves on the books for 6-7 years.
This basically just sounds like the "plan" is to be explicitly mediocre until such unspecified time they suddenly become good.

Reactions: Rodge

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Oofda, I guess Detroit still isn't serious about contending again. That's way too much for JT. No wonder Colorado was moving on.

Seider and Donuts

Jul 1, 2023
Yeah. Let him go elsewhere.

He's a useful player. A good 3C. He's not making 3C money.

Yzerman's "strategy" of signing a bunch of mid UFAs to market value didn't work out so well. So apparently the plan is to double down on more mid players that won't move the needle.

This basically just sounds like the "plan" is to be explicitly mediocre until such unspecified time they suddenly become good.
The answer is in the first paragraph. If you read it more slowly, you might get it this time.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Yzerman dickriders in absolute shambles right now.

Imagine, if you will, if Benning or Fletcher were still GMs and they had signed Chiarot, Copp, and Compher to these deals, and then traded Hronek and used the 1st from that and their own top 10 pick to get Danielson and ASP.

You'd have never ending screeds about how 'this is why hfboards would be a better GM than these dinosaurs!".

Guess the constant appeals to authority on how 'if Yzerman did it, it must be 5d chess' might have to slow to a trickle.
do you realize the in massive shambles depth chart yzerman inherited ?????? he needed a big physical d and a center , chariot and copp for free were his best options , their cap hit meaning nothing during this rebuild era . next came compher in the same manner . what was he supposed to do not sign anybody and have the team worse ? whats the problem with wasted cap space in a rebuild era ?????? what did you want him to do spend important draft pix on established players to create a mediocre team with a lesser future ????? who was he supposed to sign from this iffy ufa crop to make the team way better and improve teams long term future ?????????

• Haha
Reactions: Snowwy

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
heres another tid bit for yzerman bashers . first came the swedish pipeline , next the u of m . its how you develop a strong leadership group and culture . keep on bashing steve **** yzerman im having good laughs

The Grind Line Podcast™

@GrindLinePod
·
24m

And as a bonus, Dylan Larkin played a season with Compher at U of M. They are already familiar with each other and should make the transition easier. #LGRW

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Would have been better off getting paid to take Duchene at half price before he was bought out. This money is stupid for a player like Compher.

Reactions: BSHH

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Would have been better off getting paid to take Duchene at half price before he was bought out. This money is stupid for a player like Compher.
yzermans building team culture with commited hard workers like comp , mean while you might notice duchene seems to have attitude issues . yzerman got fed up pdq with vranas issues and shipped him out for peanuts just like barry just shipped out his attitude issue

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Name all the 3Cs carrying a cap hit of $5 million. Besides Compher.
W Karlsson (depending on lineup)
Phil danault (post pld acquisition)
Backlund
Coyle
Eriksson ek (I think he was mostly 2C last season but wild fans can help me out here)
Gourde (when he signed his deal tb, depends on line up in Seattle)
Pageau

Just below $5M:
Dvorak
Chytil

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
W Karlsson (depending on lineup)
Phil danault (post pld acquisition)
Backlund
Coyle
Eriksson ek (I think he was mostly 2C last season but wild fans can help me out here)
Gourde (when he signed his deal tb, depends on line up in Seattle)
Pageau

Just below $5M:
Dvorak
Chytil

Pretty much every guy you've listed is a 2C or was at the point they earned their contract.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Pretty much every guy you've listed is a 2C or was at the point they earned their contract.
I don't disagree, and I know JTC probably isn't one on many teams in this league, but he filled the role in Colorado this season, and if Lalonde wants to shift Copp to LW, he might be one in Detroit next season. I am aware that in a vacuum if JTC is your 2C, things probably aren't looking too hot for your team, and paying him like he's one likely isn't going to be great value.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
do you realize the in massive shambles depth chart yzerman inherited ?????? he needed a big physical d and a center , chariot and copp for free were his best options , their cap hit meaning nothing during this rebuild era . next came compher in the same manner . what was he supposed to do not sign anybody and have the team worse ? whats the problem with wasted cap space in a rebuild era ?????? what did you want him to do spend important draft pix on established players to create a mediocre team with a lesser future ????? who was he supposed to sign from this iffy ufa crop to make the team way better and improve teams long term future ?????????

Oooo looky here. We have a wild Stevie Y d-rider.

Reactions: MiddleEarth

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
ufa dont cost assets / futures
That’s the true comedy of it all…Wings still have over $9 million in cap space, a lot of roster turnover so there’s a need in NHL capable players.

Instead of bashing Yzerman - I’d like to read about some legit options from those most critical of him.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Still won 2 cups more than Stevie as a GM.
Lol with the team yzerman built…

Not to get political, this is just an analogy: it’s like Biden saying he has created the highest job growth America has ever seen, yet it was just the jobs that were rehired because of the people that got laid off from Covid. Yeah he was in office, but did he actually do anything to create that growth?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Utterly embarrassing. Yzerman is an utter joke. There's been a number of signs that this is the case recently, but this puts the exclamation point on it. (Red Wings draft was an absolute disgrace). Yzerman is braindead (I've heard him speak lately, and he genuinely sounds like he has had brain injuries), as are all the 'Trust the Yzerplan' fools. Al Murray is the only reason he has the reputation he has. Just a total embarrassment. I'm genuinely ashamed of this.
Well it’s a good thing you’re not a fan of the Red Wings…Would hate having to read your bad takes on a regular basis over at the Wings board…

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Not sure why you'd think that was in reference to reading the first paragraph of your own post, but as you proved earlier, you're not exactly thinking logically here.
The ones not thinking logically are the Wings fans twisting themselves into pretzels to justify this contract.

Every other fanbase thinks it's bad. They are correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad