Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F JT Compher signs with the Red Wings (5 years, $5.1M AAV)

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Avs and Wings are in pretty different stages of their competitive window. If cap space was not an issue at all, would you rather have say, Logan O'Connor or Jt Compher?
If cap space was not an issue, I'd prefer a 3rd liner (JTC) over a 4th liner (O'Connor) for sure.

Like I said, JTC CAN be a really solid player when he's 'on' but it doesn't always happen. Over the course of his last contract, I'd say he played up to his abilities about 40% of that time so approximately 1.5 years out of 4.

This is just my honest opinion, not trying to crap on your signing. Hopefully, it's a better fit in Detroit and he's able to play consistently well for you guys.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
That and ppssibly pro scouting and past assets. Yzerman looked a lot more shrewd in tampa

Got Bishop for nothing, flipped him for Cernak - Bishop would play 3 more seasons before retiring due to injury

Got Marchessault for nothing (did let him walk after though)

The sergachev trade

Acquired Verhaegue for nothing (he wasnt the one to let him walk)

The McDonagh and JT Miller acquisitions

Its like, you go through the list of moves, and theres 0 losses. All wins, and some of them like Marchessault, Verhaegue, Miller, Tampa didnt grt to enjoy fully, but the way they exploded after, wtf was going on down in Tampa? How did they target them so early ?

Why is he not having any luck doing that in Detroit? Worst people around him? Or did other teams catch up to some things Tampa pioneered?
He’s had some great trades for Detroit along with excellent drafting for the most part of the players who have had time to develop.

He’s loaded up on picks through trades and gotten some very important positions filled with Walman and Husso through trade. Gave up nothing to get either of them, gave up nothing to get fabbri, got a first for Hronek, a first for Bertuzzzi, a first and a second for Mantha. Honestly very similar to the moves he made in Tampa, only he didn’t inherit an already strong team with high draft picks. Anyone not just desperate to kick a team while they’re down can see that.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He’s had some great trades for Detroit along with excellent drafting for the most part of the players who have had time to develop.

He’s loaded up on picks through trades and gotten some very important positions filled with Walman and Husso through trade. Gave up nothing to get either of them, gave up nothing to get fabbri, got a first for Hronek, a first for Bertuzzzi, a first and a second for Mantha. Honestly very similar to the moves he made in Tampa, only he didn’t inherit an already strong team with high draft picks. Anyone not just desperate to kick a team while they’re down can see that.

Walman, Husso, Fabbri are a far cry from Bishop,, McDonagh, Cernak, or identifying talent like Marchessault and Verghahegue. Sergachev vs Drouin might have been a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity though.

The last two didnt have space because Tampa was too stacked, but Detroit could use guys like that rn.

Bertuzzi could end up an absolute steal if Boston nosedives, similar to the Duchene trade between and Colorado.

Hronek was strong too thats true

Its all up to the scouting and development departments now in Detroit

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'm not gonna crap on the signing, I think it is an overpay for what will likely be a 40-50 point guy moving forward, but JT Compher is a swiss army knife guy who can slot in anywhere, and while his effort in the corners could use some work, his effort when the games are clutch cannot be questioned at this point, he scored a lot of big goals in his time with the Avs and gets even better in the playoffs, I don't think its a bad add for Detroit at all

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Walman, Husso, Fabbri are a far cry from Bishop,, McDonagh, Cernak, or identifying talent like Marchessault and Verghahegue. Sergachev vs Drouin might have been a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity though.

The last two didnt have space because Tampa was too stacked, but Detroit could use guys like that rn.

Bertuzzi could end up an absolute steal if Boston nosedives, similar to the Duchene trade between and Colorado.

Hronek was strong too thats true

Its all up to the scouting and development departments now in Detroit
My point being he had a lot less to work with trade value wise in Detroit than he did in Tampa, and has still managed to make some very shrewd trades despite the lack of talent he inherited. He's done quite well by giving up very little of value and shedding guys that aren't in the long term picture for good future pieces - acquiring a mix of long term assets and placeholders. But the notion that he's done nothing with trades is a bit far off.

I agree with the idea that the team as a whole still isn't all too close. But that's more on fans unrealistic expectations than on anything Yzerman has said or done since he's been here. I for one am pleased he's not mortgaging the idea of long term success for one or two years of first round exits.

Reactions: saska sault

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Many post's from 1st page alone aged well, on a pace of 69 points. 12 points in last 10 games and i believe the announcer/commentator/someone said in a game against Bawston that Compher is highest scoring UFA from this summer.

Comments from the "experts" on this thread
Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 03-09-12 (⌐■_■)–︻╦╤─ 😂😂😂😂😂😂 Crying Laughing Emoji 😂.png

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Many post's from 1st page alone aged well, on a pace of 69 points. 12 points in last 10 games and i believe the announcer/commentator/someone said in a game against Bawston that Compher is highest scoring UFA from this summer.

Comments from the "experts" on this thread
View attachment 772893

Your own post is pointing the problem in it.

12 points in 10 games
4 points in 9 games

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022

Comments from the "experts" on this thr
View attachment 772893
So you’re gonna chirp while you were never on record on anything. Pretty sorry if you ask me.
@ 5.1 he was never gonna come back to Colorado. Good to see him having a good stretch. It’s a small sample size and I’ll make sure to check back in at the end of the season

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
He has been better than points suggest, plays at a faster pace than I expected but that may be a product of coming from Colorado. At 5 million even if his production dips and dives, he seems very appropriately paid so far. Think most Wing fans who were against the signing would admit they have warmed to him.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Lots of people with egg on their face on this one. Anyone who watched this afternoon, can see what he does for Detroit every night… and it has been every night.

Wins big face-offs, can gain the zone with his speed, and he quietly produces consistently. 16 pts in 19 games…. One of the big reasons Detroit is ranked 4th in the NHL 5 on 5 scoring.

He’s a year and a half, into doing this now. No reason to think it won’t continue. That was my question. Could he do it consistently?? Well, he’s answering that question every night.

Sometimes it really is situational. A player believes he can play a certain role, and his current team doesn’t. Then he moves to a team who believes he can play that bigger role… and he ends up rewarding that team. Exactly what seems to be happening here. Really good hockey player.

Give credit where it’s due. It’s been a great signing.

Reactions: flychairman

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Lots of people with egg on their face on this one. Anyone who watched this afternoon, can see what he does for Detroit every night… and it has been every night.

Wins big face-offs, can gain the zone with his speed, and he quietly produces consistently. 16 pts in 19 games…. One of the big reasons Detroit is ranked 4th in the NHL 5 on 5 scoring.

He’s a year and a half, into doing this now. No reason to think it won’t continue. That was my question. Could he do it consistently?? Well, he’s answering that question every night.

Sometimes it really is situational. A player believes he can play a certain role, and his current team doesn’t. Then he moves to a team who believes he can play that bigger role… and he ends up rewarding that team. Exactly what seems to be happening here. Really good hockey player.

Give credit where it’s due. It’s been a great signing.
His year last year in Colorado was rough. The year before he was lights out

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
He has been very good. Don’t think he’s had a single bad game. No issue with this contract personally.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He is miles better that Ryjo. Night and day. Avs will have to find a way to dump Ryjo for a bonafide 2C.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
His year last year in Colorado was rough. The year before he was lights out
What?? Let me quote his coach in February of 2023, after the Avs moved him to 2C after trying Newhook, Ratanaan and Rodrigues. “This is, no question, his best season to date.” If he had played 2C all season, the production would’ve likely been what it’s been in Detroit, and in Colorado after the line change.

It was the most productive year of his career. Especially after they decided the Newhook experiment at 2C wasn’t going to cut it, and he took that spot. Exactly why teams were after him. Nobody would’ve offered him the type of money he got, if teams didn’t think he could produce at 2C.

The Avs just decided they wanted more out of the 2 hole and that’s fine. I probably would’ve made the same decision, because I wasn’t sure he could play that way consistently. His play last year is why he had enough interest to demand the money he did. Detroit didn’t just randomly throw $5 million AAV at him. It doesn’t work that way.

Somebody was giving him the $5 million AAV, if Detroit didn’t.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
What?? Let me quote his coach in February of 2023, after the Avs moved him to 2C after trying Newhook, Ratanaan and Rodrigues. “This is, no question, his best season to date.” If he had played 2C all season, the production would’ve likely been what it’s been in Detroit, and in Colorado after the line change.

It was the most productive year of his career. Especially after they decided the Newhook experiment at 2C wasn’t going to cut it, and he took that spot. Exactly why teams were after him. Nobody would’ve offered him the type of money he got, if teams didn’t think he could produce at 2C.

The Avs just decided they wanted more out of the 2 hole and that’s fine. I probably would’ve made the same decision, because I wasn’t sure he could play that way consistently. His play last year is why he had enough interest to demand the money he did. Detroit didn’t just randomly throw $5 million AAV at him. It doesn’t work that way.

Somebody was giving him the $5 million AAV, if Detroit didn’t.
Probably Toronto instead of giving it to Bertuzzi.

Reactions: Petes2424

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad