GDT: Det @ Car

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Honestly Andersen and Rantaa looked decent in their last outing. Both were shellacked at various points in their games, Andersen more so. If they play like they did in their very last game, we have a chance to win a round, possibly 2. We don't require elite goaltending but we do need average goaltending.

I agree Rantaa has been better this year, but we all know Andersen has a higher ceiling. We also know that both of them will see time this postseason.

But morale of the story is I'm happy to see our goalies return to Earth somewhat.
Freddie’s ceiling is higher and his floor is the Abyss. Just have to hope he shows up for the playoffs.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
ah, a detractor?

His stats are markedly improved and pretty consistent since the very slow start to the year (and has PP as a winger right now which doesn't allow one to bolster their stats):

View attachment 686703

He will only get better in succeeding years and no doubt will improve his shot, release speed and skating. Watching him during games at the PNC you come away with a significant compete level that will drive him forward to higher proficiency. He has more passion than many of his colleagues.
i was trying to make a funny with an (what i thought was) obvious ridiculous post. it fell flat it would seem.

I don't think he's a KK detractor. Quite the opposite, he's been a big fan of his.

"Senior Paster of the Church of Kotkaniemi."
i made that (much like my last motto) based on a ridiculous post. On the main board 8 year contract signing thread, someone said you had to belong to the church of Kotkaniemi to actually believe he is a good hockey player. So I ran with it because it was such a ridiculous post about an 21 year old that had no angst in it at all because he could leave the mighty montreal.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
i was trying to make a funny with an (what i thought was) obvious ridiculous post. it fell flat it would seem.

i made that (much like my last motto) based on a ridiculous post. On the main board 8 year contract signing thread, someone said you had to belong to the church of Kotkaniemi to actually believe he is a good hockey player. So I ran with it because it was such a ridiculous post about an 21 year old.
I didn't take your motto or whatever seriously. I just assumed you were trying to be funny/amusing kind of like with mine (or other people's for that matter). Even though Slavin has legit been like an extra goalie at times over the years with a lot of big blocks and poke checks.

Reactions: cptjeff

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
That’s pretty rough. Not sure how many goalies have played in the league this season but if you assume all 32 teams have a full time starter and backup (which of course isn’t true but just for context) that would be below all 64 of those players…

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
That’s pretty rough. Not sure how many goalies have played in the league this season but if you assume all 32 teams have a full time starter and backup (which of course isn’t true but just for context) that would be below all 64 of those players…
I mean, Ottawa has had about 20 goalies and we've used three ourselves. And even with his stretch of off nights late in the initial stint after coming back from injury, Koochie has been starter quality by that metric.

I'm curious to see if Boston is going to be able to keep both Swayman and Ullmark, both elite on that list. Swayman would be a really good target IMO. Trade or offer sheet.

Rick Davis

Dec 31, 2020
Regarding the goalie situation if our team defense doesn’t improve from where it’s been the last couple of weeks it won’t matter if we have have Lizzo and Sam Smith covering up the entirety of the net we will get swept by whoever we play!

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Shout out to Koko for his solid play. He had a bunch of detractors (perhaps some still lying in the weeds here) early on but his play over last few months has been terrific & hopefully is the turning point for a long and successful Canes career.

His skating is significantly improved y/y, is defensively sound and is a physical presence that is needed in our C corps. Now, if he can be a little more selfish and shoot more he surely will be a 20+ goal scorer moving forward.
kotkaniemi dvorak.png

Freeddie #3 '21-'22, now #79 this year:

Oh my God click the link and scroll down to #97. :laugh:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Caniacs, it was a pleasure joining your thread on Tuesday! How I wish the pathetic Frenchies knocked out the Islanders

Due to adverse outcomes, now we are enemies for the next 24 hours and possibly the next ten days but you hold a special place in my heart for ever

Your friend from Finland West South

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Caniacs, it was a pleasure joining your thread on Tuesday! How I wish the pathetic Frenchies knocked out the Islanders

Due to adverse outcomes, now we are enemies for the next 24 hours and possibly the next ten days but you hold a special place in my heart for ever

Your friend from Finland West South
I like the Panthers so much more than I like the Islanders. I also really want to beat the Panthers so much because I want the Canes to win the division. I also really would rather play the Islanders than the Panthers because the Panthers have way more offensive weapons.

Larry David Meme GIFs | Tenor

Edit - I lied. I see if we beat the Panthers, we will guarantee playing the Islanders. So that 100% is the desired outcome. Either way, the Panthers/Isles matchup difference is marginal when compared to how we match up to the Rangers.

Neighbor Lee

Sponsor
Oct 25, 2013
Droneview
2008-- wasn't that the year that Tripp said, with ~2 games to play that the Canes would make the playoffs, based on the season-ending matchups and guaranteed Canes' victories?

That Fla game... smh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad