Confirmed Trade: [DET/CAR] Alex Nedeljkovic for Jonathan Bernier and 2021 3rd (VGK)

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
It's not that complicated. The team didn't believe Nedeljkovic could be a starter on a contending team. That means he's slotted as the backup. And the team believed- correctly- they could get a get a backup cheaper than what Nedeljkovic was asking for. Their valuation of Ned's future could be wrong. We'll see, though going from a GM scared of his own shadow in Francis to a front office that dgaf if they "lose" deals is interesting and not uncommonly refreshing.

My only problem with that calculation is they got Raanta- who, while talented, has a horrendous injury history that thus far hasn't limited his backup duties too much. We'll see.
I love it when fans twist the narrative to justify a poor move by their team's front office.

Apropos of nothing I'd like to point out that for the last three years every time then Hurricanes goalie Petr Mrazek was brought up on the mainboards a few Red Wings fans would jump in, unasked, and insist his play was just a hot streak.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
The Canes have a very strange strategy regarding goalies so this deal, unfortunately, did not come as a surprise. They always go with slightly overpaid mediocre journeyman goalkeepers, so it was not surprising in the least they pissed away a legit starter for basically nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tetsuo

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Moreover, if they were so concerned about spending money, why did they shell out for Kotkaniemi?

1 year vs 2+ years. They have big time extensions to decide coming up next off season like Necas, Trocheck, Niederreiter.

Further, they would still have their first round draft pick they could have used to acquire a more developed player at the TDL than Kotkaniemi... like Dvorak.

I was surprised more teams didn't go after Dvorak, he's been good in Yotes. He hasn't played that well in Habs yet but it's very early days for sampling. I'd guess Canes gambled on upside over track record there. Necas and Jarvis have center potential too and they'll need to make some longer term mid 6 center decisions next off season. (Or earlier.) Dvorak last off season didn't really fit in that timeline.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
It's not that complicated. The team didn't believe Nedeljkovic could be a starter on a contending team. That means he's slotted as the backup. And the team believed- correctly- they could get a get a backup cheaper than what Nedeljkovic was asking for. Their valuation of Ned's future could be wrong. We'll see, though going from a GM scared of his own shadow in Francis to a front office that dgaf if they "lose" deals is interesting and not uncommonly refreshing.

My only problem with that calculation is they got Raanta- who, while talented, has a horrendous injury history that thus far hasn't limited his backup duties too much. We'll see.

Apropos of nothing I'd like to point out that for the last three years every time then Hurricanes goalie Petr Mrazek was brought up on the mainboards a few Red Wings fans would jump in, unasked, and insist his play was just a hot streak.

If you’re debating the guy who said the stuff about people twisting the narrative to spin in a positive way, he won the debate.

Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

Among Wings fans there are fans that defend every move Holland made, and fans that hated Mrazek for having an ego and not simply letting the Wings screw him over. Both groups are very vocal.

Edit: Carolina still made a really bad and stupid move by trading Nedelkjovic for a third.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
For the price, ya, Ned is pretty close if not the same as Freddy, but again the price is what matters.
===================================================================

Ned $3M [ 7-3-3 / .923 save % / 2.58 GAA / 3.1 Goalie Point Shares / 9 Quality Starts ]

==================================================================

Freddy $4.5 M [ 11-5 / .928 save % / 2.04 GAA / 3.2 Goalie Point Shares / 9 Quality Starts ]

Lets not pretend Freddy is god, hes playing in front of an ELITE team.
Freddy also has a track record and a massive sample size.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Freddy also has a track record and a massive sample size.
Meh. Freddy hasn't done anything in the playoffs in the past 6 years. Ned won a series last year, something Freddy hasn't done in ages.

Also no one is mentioning the long-term outlook here which clearly looks to favor Detroit, unless that 3rd turns into something special.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Why must it be about "winning" the trade. It's not like Yzerman discovered a unheard of goalie or anything. Canes didn't like where negotiations were headed and sent him to a location that they were 1) not threatened by and 2) worked well for Ned given his attachment to the area. They probably took a bit of a loss to do that but I can't imagine it was much more than another pick.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Why must it be about "winning" the trade. It's not like Yzerman discovered a unheard of goalie or anything. Canes didn't like where negotiations were headed and sent him to a location that they were 1) not threatened by and 2) worked well for Ned given his attachment to the area. They probably took a bit of a loss to do that but I can't imagine it was much more than another pick.

Both teams won IMO

Detroit is seriously lacking in goalie prospects and Canes need cap space for expiring contracts

Reactions: DaveG

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Meh. Freddy hasn't done anything in the playoffs in the past 6 years. Ned won a series last year, something Freddy hasn't done in ages.

Also no one is mentioning the long-term outlook here which clearly looks to favor Detroit, unless that 3rd turns into something special.
I didn't know goalies win series. I thought hockey was a team sport but I guess it's not.

VoodooChile

Jul 23, 2009
Seems to me like Carolina did Ned a freakin SOLID by trading him to the only team in Michigan where his partner and dog lived.

That’s doing right by somebody—and by all appearances it didn’t seem like Carolina thought Ned would be the guy to get them a Cup. We’ll see what Freddy does, but our D this year is a severe downgrade compared to last year, esp with injuries and now COVID.

I didn’t like the trade but I also don’t want Ned as my starter for where Carolina is at right now. He choked against Tampa when we needed him to play like a Stanley Cup winning goalie. Something we could always count on Cam Ward to do the two times we made the playoffs with him. Good luck to Ned, but I think the Canes did right by him by trading him to where he wanted to be for less than we could have otherwise gotten.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Detroit landed a really good goalie that I'm happy to have.
Carolina replaced their goalie tandem of last year with a really good goalie that they're happy to have.

Win-win.

Puck Tiss

Nov 4, 2013
Detroit landed a really good goalie that I'm happy to have.
Carolina replaced their goalie tandem of last year with a really good goalie that they're happy to have.

Win-win.
Not really. That 3rd round pick is probably turns into nothing. They are also spending more money on his replacement. Its bad asset management.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Mrazek's play WAS a hot streak. It's why you didn't stick with him, it's why Philly didn't stick with him, and why Detroit didn't stick with him. He would go from a several game shutout streak to not being able to stop a beach ball.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Mrazek's play WAS a hot streak. It's why you didn't stick with him, it's why Philly didn't stick with him, and why Detroit didn't stick with him. He would go from a several game shutout streak to not being able to stop a beach ball.

We had Mrazek for 3 years. How long does he have to play well for you NOT to consider it a hot streak?

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Pretty sure Carolina just did this dude a huge favor sending him to Michigan where he wanted to be.
I know I know. Who wants to be in Michigan? Lol I get it. I think they live in Ontario tho.

Detroit Red Wings' trade for Alex Nedeljkovic a win for everyone

Teams don't trade away good, young players for pennies on the dollar as a favor. You do that with guys who have disappointed and are approaching bust status as a change of scenery, last chance at an NHL career kind of favor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad