Despite rebuild and struggles, Canucks still averaging over 18k fans / home game

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Btw, krutovsdonut, if you read this, whenever I criticize how a subsection of the fanbase (not necessarily everyone who's positive about the team's future) treats positivity as an inherent good rather than a logical conclusion based on observations, this mentality right here is exactly what I'm talking about. It's obviously rarely this egregious, of course (almost seems fake/trolling in this case), but I react when I catch glimpses of it slipping out of people's arguments every once in a while.

It's starting from the desired end point and moving backwards from that and thinking that the warmth of positivity justifies that. To me, that's way worse than simply overreacting when something is upsetting.

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
lol. DGM tickets are also selling at the same average price as 4-5 years ago, right?

Btw, krutovsdonut, if you read this, whenever I criticize how a subsection of the fanbase (not necessarily everyone who's positive about the team's future) treats positivity as an inherent good rather than a logical conclusion based on observations, this mentality right here is exactly what I'm talking about. It's obviously rarely this egregious, of course (almost seems fake/trolling in this case), but I react when I catch glimpses of it slipping out of people's arguments every once in a while.

It's starting from the desired end point and moving backwards from that and thinking that the warmth of positivity justifies that. To me, that's way worse than simply overreacting when something is upsetting.

Tagging @krutovsdonut so he sees it.

The egregious positivity is such a genius trolling tactic. I'm half motivated to just stop wasting effort caring about the Canucks and becoming the world's biggest Peter Chiarelli/Marc Bergevin fan instead.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Would love to see this data. But i wondee if that would reflect more of affordability and cost of living in vancouver.

The affordability and cost of living in Vancouver isn't vastly different than it was in 2008-2013. Surely they should be getting 95% of the total concession numbers we had in those seasons, if real attendance were anywhere near 95%.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Such a wierd thread

I just dont get why anyone would defend Benning

I disagree that hes responsible for some better drafting recently - but ok lets say some people do think hes responsible - fine we can argue

But what else?

Everything else is crap how could anyone defend Benning with:

Eriksson 6 years
Sutter 5 years
2016 TDL
Vey
Pedan
Clendnening Forsling
Juolevi
Virtanen
Gagner contract
Mccann 33 for Gud
Etc

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Such a wierd thread

I disagree that hes responsible for some better drafting recently - but ok lets say some people do think hes responsible - fine we can argue

But what else?

Eriksson 6 years
Sutter 5 years
2016 TDL
Vey
Pedan
Clendnening Forsling
Juolevi
Virtanen
Gagner contract
Mccann 33 for Gud
Etc

Oh look another thread that got hijacked by the Benning insecurities.

This thread was meant to be attendance at Rogers Arena and the fans sticking through the rebuild.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Vancouver have 18k "tier 1 fans" left. Lol.
Im glad people are having fun and enjoying the game. I personally know many that attended games this year for free (in fact everybody that I know that attended games this year had gone for free). Generally you have a better time when your admission is free. But all the same, I truly am happy people that goes to games are entertained.

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Vancouver have 18k "tier 1 fans" left. Lol.
Im glad people are having fun and enjoying the game. I personally know many that attended games this year for free (in fact everybody that I know that attended games this year had gone for free). Generally you have a better time when your admission is free. But all the same, I truly am happy people that goes to games are entertained.

This is what its about !

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Such a wierd thread

But what else?

Eriksson 6 years
Sutter 5 years
2016 TDL
Vey
Pedan
Clendnening Forsling
Juolevi
Virtanen
Gagner contract
Mccann 33 for Gud
Etc

Lol are you in the right thread. Because what you mentioned is absoloutely irrelevant to what this thread is actually abouy ( attendance and atmosphere )

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i don't advocate excessively negative or positive commentary here. i advocate maintaining perspective and keeping an even keel. i will concede thought that i particularly hate whining, negativity and lazy group think.

in that regard, to respond to your complaint, i would say many of the negative posts in here clearly "start from the desired end point and move backwards from that". for some posters here, everything bad that happens to this team is an opportunity to be frame events as the fault of current management as a hot take, or is an excuse to complain about them. that approach reflects lazy safe thinking and promotes negative reinforcement that distorts perception and leads to despair. it's as old as greek tragedy and the practice of scapegoating. of course bad things are going to happen to a bad hockey team. keep some perspective and stop assuming it is all due to jim benning.

i am not much of a fan of rah rah positivism either, but at least it has the advantage of maintaining a positive outlook. in real life i avoid people who are negative all the time. they suck the life out of everything. i can tolerate excessively positive people for far longer even if they are totally out to lunch.

anyway, the other issue here is i don't know what you are on about bringing this up in an attendance thread. i do not see what paid attendance has to do with the quality of this hockey team or its management so i do not understand why you are being so defensive about someone posting about it. the reality is that most businesses with season tickets and many die hard fans will bite the bullet and continue to maintain their season ticket seat locations during a bad period. it's an investment in the future. it has nothing to do with current performance of management.

the seats are empty because instead of using those seats to entertain valued clients, those seats are being distributed by businesses to employees who may not use them, and instead of selling off seats that cannot be used, die hard season ticket holders are having to eat them or give them away.

anyway, i hope i answered your question.

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks drafting has been frustrating because it's mostly been good... except for the back to back terrible top 6 picks in high lottery years. Those picks were easy as hell to make too.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Might mean something if there was actually a rebuild. Instead I guess this thread title should be about how fans have stuck around through this circus.

Or that attendance is down but not as much as some random fans assume it should be?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
And, as was already pointed out to you, we actually have one of the emptiest buildings in the league.

95% capactity is amazing especially for a rebuilding/struggling team

And as a season ticket holder i certainly dont notice that there is less people especially since its much louder in there.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
95% capactity is amazing especially for a rebuilding/struggling team

And as a season ticket holder i certainly dont notice that there is less people especially since its much louder in there.
It's not in any way shape or form much louder.

It's the same.

Pretty sure you can notice the fact there is about 70% capacity these days when you're sitting there, especially for a season ticket holder like yourself :)

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
There is absolury no way there are 18K people at the games. You are literally fooling nobody with the baseless number. All you need to do is watch the games and you’ll see how many red seats you see.

They must be wearing the camouflage Canucks jerseys because so can’t see fans there.

Reactions: geebaan

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
There is absolury no way there are 18K people at the games. You are literally fooling nobody with the baseless number. All you need to do is watch the games and you’ll see how many red seats you see.

They must be wearing the camouflage Canucks jerseys because so can’t see fans there.

Im not trying to fool anybody. Those stats are from ESPN/NHL.

And yes i believe it. Capacity is what 18600?

600 empty seats can look decieving but for the most part the crowd is solid !

The lack of fan interest and attendance is highly exaggerated by the doom and gloom crowd who wants to make the public and or ownership believe that fan interest is at a low.

Unfortunately for that crowd, Brockstar happened.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

I thought it would be funny to go to a game wearing a shirt with a picture of a Rogers Arena seat on the front of it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad