Confirmed with Link: Desharnais signed to a contract extension (4 years @ $3.5M/yr)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Desharnais is only making 250k more than Kostitsyn made and while Bourque is making less, he has a similar cap hit. So it's fair, Desharnais can be compared with other flawed players. There's a reason he's not making as much as Plekanec, and even Plekanec's contract is fair.

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
Do you also agree with WakeUpNHL when he/she mentioned that Desharnais is a buy out candidate?

Ref.:

Of course 'le petit gars de chez nous' Desharnais will not be bought out. But IMO he is the BEST candidate to be bought out.

It's decisions like this, by Montreal GM's, to appease local media that handicap the Habs chances of winning a Stanley Cup. And that both saddens and angers this life long Habs fan.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Of course 'le petit gars de chez nous' Desharnais will not be bought out. But IMO he is the BEST candidate to be bought out.

It's decisions like this, by Montreal GM's, to appease local media that handicap the Habs chances of winning a Stanley Cup. And that both saddens and angers this life long Habs fan.

You realize that you're basically taking the most ubiquitous line when the announcement was made regarding Michel Therrien?

Besides...

Are you really suggesting that DD is a better buy-out candidate than Kaberle?

That says a lot on your motives.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

DD has been given same treatment under 3 different coaches and 2 different GMs. I think people try too hard.

Guy isn't a buyout candidate, wow.

I get it, he's not the ideal center or winger for that matter but c'mon, isn't this a reach?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I think it's funny how its one or the other:

You praise DD and you're a biased, blind supporter of Franco players.

You criticize DD and you're a hater of Québécois players.

Let's face it, 3.5 per isn't a horrible contract by any means, but he obviously needs to play better.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Let's face it, 3.5 per isn't a horrible contract by any means, but he obviously needs to play better.

Sorry, but saying that DD should be bought out, 12-days or so after having signed a contract, raises serious questions on the judgment of the said person.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

One day I will use my uber mod powers to turn every font, background color and what have you to either black or white on hfboards.

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
You realize that you're basically taking the most ubiquitous line when the announcement was made regarding Michel Therrien?

Besides...

Are you really suggesting that DD is a better buy-out candidate than Kaberle?

That says a lot on your motives.

No. Therrien is/was a good coach, I have/had no issue with him.

I also do not have any issues(and applauded the move) with securing defensive depth by signing Bouliion to an extension last week.

However, I don't see the logic is giving DD a four year contract when MB did. Why not wait till the end of the year? What was the rush? Bad move that has me questioning MB motives. That's what stinks here IMO.

Kaberle will still be the buy out candidate nest year. The habs will just have to play with a $3.5M handicap for the next four years but al least RDS will have someone to interview during the intermissions.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

What's interesting about this is I'm a DD fan. Of course, I can admit his PP effeciency has been weak and mix ups and line juggling should be done if it helps the team. At the end of the day, I don't care at all about franco players(I'm anglo) and I still like Leblanc and DD.

I think people worry about DD too much. I see gionta's 5 mil and kaberle's 4.5 as bigger issues IMO. DD's 3.5 will be chump change in his 2nd-3rd-4th year. They say revenues are going up despite the lockout, the cap will go up a lot after it's fixed point. 3.5 will be a joke.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Sorry, but saying that DD should be bought out, 12-days or so after having signed a contract, raises serious questions on the judgment of the said person.

Well, that was one guy's opinion, right? Definitely not mine..

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

That's exactly it. And the underlying stats kinda indicate that he's poor defensively and that he's not producing on the PP.

The extension was oddly timed, and his play has been inconsistent this season. AND WE'RE WINNING LOTS OF GAMES. Imagine for a moment we start playing the west again, that we play more games, have more injuries, have more road trips - is he going to play better than the conditions offered to him currently? I realize that he's just only now establishing his NHL career but the extension was very poorly timed and the spotlight's on him to produce and he's just not playing good enough.

I like him as a player though, he's lit up every league he's been in and he's a good teammate and competitor. He just has to play better.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No. Therrien is/was a good coach, I have/had no issue with him.

I also do not have any issues(and applauded the move) with securing defensive depth by signing Bouliion to an extension last week.

However, I don't see the logic is giving DD a four year contract when MB did. Why not wait till the end of the year? What was the rush? Bad move that has me questioning MB motives. That's what stinks here IMO.

Kaberle will still be the buy out candidate nest year. The habs will just have to play with a $3.5M handicap for the next four years but al least RDS will have someone to interview during the intermissions.

See?

You can come up with the much more logical rationale.

The ubiquitous "preferential due to being French" should be left to Leafs fans.

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal

Just wanted to be on the first to go on the record with that. Next year, when DD is stinking up the Bell Center ice and the DD fan boys remove their rose-coloured glasses and start clammering for his head... I can point to that post and say 'I TOLD YOU SO'

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
See?

You can come up with the much more logical rationale.

The ubiquitous "preferential due to being French" should be left to Leafs fans.

You can't really go from accusing someone of being biased against a certain culture and then completely throw out the notion of being biased towards it. Those are two sides of the same irrational, incredibly stupid coin.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Just wanted to be on the first to go on the record with that. Next year, when DD is stinking up the Bell Center ice and the DD fan boys remove their rose-coloured glasses and start clammering for his head... I can point to that post and say 'I TOLD YOU SO'

I don't want to be mean, but there was roughly 73 regulars here who came up with such an idea.

Besides, IF DD is our worst "investment" in the next 4 years, well, Montreal will have a GREAT team.

You can't really go from accusing someone of being biased against a certain culture and then completely throw out the notion of being biased towards it. Those are two sides of the same irrational, incredibly stupid coin.

I'd just prefer the fanbase to be less fragmented than it is toward those issues.

Besides, if you're saying that I'm biased towards Quebec players...
We have a HUUGE problem.
First being that I'm not from Quebec.

David Desharnais has been underachieving.

...That's an understatement, my friend.

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal

Exactly.
Last week my boss called me into his office and told me...Wakey you've haven't exactly been stellar this year, you've missed days, lost us clients, have not made any big sales but here is a 100% raise in salary and a 10k bonus so you can take your wife and my grandchildren to Disney world next week!

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Thing is, while I agree. Let me ask a very simple question. If DD was once again on a 60 or more point pace, would he get 3.5 mil per? Prob not.

That's why I feel the deal is fair. I know you didn't bring that up but just addressing in general.

As for DD's on ice performance, they should mix up his PP time, he's been less than stellar there.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Exactly.
Last week my boss called me into his office and told me...Wakey you've haven't exactly been stellar this year, you've missed days, lost us clients, have not made any big sales but here is a 100% raise in salary and a 10k bonus so you can take your wife and my grandchildren to Disney world next week!

Terrible comparison, DD isn't tall enough for any rides at disney world.:shakehead

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I don't want to be mean, but there was roughly 73 regulars here who came up with such an idea.

Besides, IF DD is our worst "investment" in the next 4 years, well, Montreal will have a GREAT team.

I'd just prefer the fanbase to be less fragmented than it is toward those issues.

Besides, if you're saying that I'm biased towards Quebec players...
We have a HUUGE problem.
First being that I'm not from Quebec.

...That's an understatement, my friend.

I never said that you were biased towards Quebec players. I said that you seemed to discount it entirely as an option by saying something about leaving it for toronto fans to say, or something like that.

Both definitely happen. Both definitely shouldn't.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

It could also be that last year everything was going right for him and that's his upside. He's turning 27 in a few months.

But it's not like he's been bad this year offensively. But it's no coincidence he was good when Pacioretty was good, and now is doing nothing at the same time as Pacioretty.

But for 3.5M you expect a role player. A lot of players on this team are only as good as their linemates. If Andrei Kostitsyn can be expected to give us 20 goals, 40 points and some hits for 3.25M, Desharnais can't be faulted for giving us ~50 points in an exploitative scoring role. He's on pace for 47 points in a 81 game season, which is disappointing but not particularly terrible. At 27 Plekanec had a worse year, albiet in a different role.

Last edited:

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
It could also be that last year everything was going right for him and that's his upside. He's turning 27 in a few months.

But it's not like he's been bad this year offensively. But it's no coincidence he was good when Pacioretty was good, and now is doing nothing at the same time as Pacioretty.

But for 3.5M you expect a role player. A lot of players on this team are only as good as their linemates.

A role player at $3.5M!! Sorry but that does not fly. $2.5M Prust is a role p[layer. $1.8M Moen is a role player.

$3.5M is borderline top 6 player. However, if DD cannot play in the Habs top 6 he is worthless, as he is defensively bad and not physical at all. Just a bad signing with no 'hockey' logic.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008

No it does not raise questions about the judgement of said person.

I normally don't speak for everyone who is on my side of the argument but I will in this case because it is so obvious. No one here is a Francophone hater. There wouldn't be one word of criticism of this contract if we just signed Claude Giroux or Patrice Bergeron. We just doubt that the small framed Desharnais is much better than Eller or that he can avoid getting physically dominated in a playoff series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad