Confirmed with Link: Desharnais signed to a contract extension (4 years @ $3.5M/yr)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Don't like this move one bit we need to get much much bigger at center, he hasn't played as well this year also, gets out musled down low and his reach is so short he misses some pucks. He does have some skill but this screams of lets make sure we resign our french player

Theosis

What do I put here?
Sponsor
Mar 11, 2009
Pointe-Claire, QC
Don't like this move one bit we need to get much much bigger at center, he hasn't played as well this year also, gets out musled down low and his reach is so short he misses some pucks. He does have some skill but this screams of lets make sure we resign our french player

Not like we couldn't trade him if he was at a good cap hit if management decided to part ways with him...

Hoping for less than 3.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Good for him he deserves it. I'm guessing between 3.5M and 4M

My guess is 3 years at 3.75...11.25 mil

5 years 5.5
MaxPac did 4.5M*6.

DD must have less than MaxPac (and Captain and Ryder(UFA) and Pleky).
DD must be between UFA Bourque and UFA Moen...

Desharnais should get at least 4 years at 2.5-3.5 per.
DD will have less years and less $ per than MaxPac.

Most important: we are finished with BG era that cornered us to the last minute to sign contract.
With BG, we lost Streit (and much more), with MB, he would have been signed at 2-2.5M for at least 4 years... He did 4.1M * 5 years...

MB seems to be handling contracts pretty well...
He seems to identify players who have value and is ready to sign them ahead. Hawks did that with Kane, Sharp, Seabrook and Keith.
Seems PK will receive an offer this summer...

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Very good, this signing doesn't threaten any of our offensive centres. This summer will be HUGE for the team, so I like that MB is already finished with the DD contract, he can now fully prepare for perhaps signing Perry, and Subban's extension.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'm assuming he'll get a 2-3 year deal @ 2.5-3.5. as others have pointed out, he won't get more than some of our more important players. I like DD, but in about 2 years time he will be expendable IMO. Good idea to keep him around just in case Eller and Galch aren't ready. Plek isn't going anywhere. At least not soon.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I don't know, he is ending his 2 years contract before the big contract that everyone had after their ELC contract lately, sole difference is that for Desharnais it was after his rookie season, not his ELC since after his, he had barely played in the NHL.

I really don't think DD has the bargaining power PK had, and PK came out with a cheap contract. He'll get a good amount, but I doubt it's long term. They'll sign him for 2-3 years and re-evaluate at the end of his contract where our C depth is.

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
Contract extension in the middle of the season? Classless... :shakehead
Gainey/Gauthier would never do that!
What's next, a player traded in the middle of a game!? :sarcasm:

I hope it's about 3-4m per, 4.5 I'll take it too.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Hopefully its at the right price though! Even as a DD supporter I know there's a limit to his price. I'd imagine if Subban went on the bridge contract and had to earn it for more than 1 year this may be a less than 3 per year deal. I'm not 100% sure but DD hasn't been as productive as last year and I would assume management went conservative and gave him a fair deal in the 2.5-3.5 range. Obviously, I'm hoping 2.5-3 more than 3-3.5.

Either way, congrats to DD. Must be happy to make it and then earn trust from management.

JPB1112ERZN

Sep 30, 2012
Mount Vernon, NY

I was in agreement with your post when I initially heard about the contract. After seeing Eller's development last year and especially this year, we're better off with Pleks, Eller, and Galchenyuk down the middle in the long run. I don't think Desharnais is very good defensively, and he's not very efficient at face-offs. But perhaps MB isn't looking at DD long term, but as a stop-gap. If the plan is to bring along Chucky slowly, this is the best solution. Also, MB will get to trade DD for assets in the future instead of getting nothing.

bib

#believe
Aug 28, 2007
15 years, $67.5 million

M3S3Q7s.png

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site

Only in Montreal
We don't need 3 big centers, he'll be okay, and yep hometown boy are always welcome like everywhere else

With Eller, Galchenyuk at center we don't need to be bigger, we jsut have to keep all of them for now and Plek is here for a long time so that's a good problem to have when it will be time to go for a talented winger, we'll have the asset to trade and it may be Desharnais that will go

For now keep the good boys in Montreal, don't let them go just because you dont like him

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I'd say he'll get 2.8 million per for 2 years. Short term, gets a raise and some motivation for longer term and price next time.

Of course Desharnais was staying. He's produced, Pacioretty loves him and he's a Québécois. That package doesn't get dealt in Montreal.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
DD, his agent and MB are huge readers of HFBoards.

1 year/$750k.

Seriously, whatever the number is, it's great. He's a great kid, a valuable asset to the team and he's going to making a ton of money whatever it is.

His original pro contract was for $400/week plus housing with the Cincinnati Cyclones. Not many thought he'd be able to cut it in the AHL, let alone become a top 6 forward for his hometown team in the NHL.

You've come a long way, DD!!!!! Congrats on whatever the deal is.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
DD, and the way he he has worked his way through the system and established himself is such a feel good story. Hope he is here for the long haul but I think he will have to look for another team come his UFA days if he is looking for a big pay day.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
I'd say he'll get 2.8 million per for 2 years. Short term, gets a raise and some motivation for longer term and price next time.

Of course Desharnais was staying. He's produced, Pacioretty loves him and he's a Québécois. That package doesn't get dealt in Montreal.
He could have 3M for a year as a RFA.

If we had a deal, MB must have offered at least 3 or 4 years.
DD has the toughness needed that MB is looking for.

At this point, DD could be compared to Little...
I like Prospal and Marchand as comparables.
If you prefer Handzus, Malhotra, Wheeler, Gleencross.

Just look at the list of comparables to Little and find one who scored 60 points...
So basically, anything below 3M is a deal and we should have a deal since we are offering a contract before RFA.

BTW: Given his RFA status (last RFA), he should get longer. Less than MaxPac and less $.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
still think he's too small, still think he can be easily outmuscled more often then not

BUT i gotta admit, ..the cat can PLAY man.. great skater, definately got faster and hes deadly down low/behind the net, always creates something

could slowly be becoming our own st louis, who knows, does anyone think the line is a bit too small with both of them on it? or do they work hard enough to not make it look too bad

he impresses me and definately love him on our team, but for how long really, ..3 years? tops?, when does galchenyuk take over, or eller, what happens with plekanecs in a couple years?

real interresting decisions for bergevin in the not too distant future, for now, he wants desharnais ON this team and likes what he see's enough to make a contract extension

lets see how much he gets, and how long more importantly,.. .i dont see how you give him more than 3 years but then does it get insulting for the player? , "I" want to see 3 years at 3 million a year, but it will be probably something closer to 4 mill for 4 years, and thats ok too, anything higher then that and ill be keeping an eye on that contract lol

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
still think he's too small, still think he can be easily outmuscled more often then not

BUT i gotta admit, ..the cat can PLAY man.. great skater, definately got faster and hes deadly down low/behind the net, always creates something

could slowly be becoming our own st louis, who knows, does anyone think the line is a bit too small with both of them on it? or do they work hard enough to not make it look too bad

he impresses me and definately love him on our team, but for how long really, ..3 years? tops?, when does galchenyuk take over, or eller, what happens with plekanecs in a couple years?

real interresting decisions for bergevin in the not too distant future, for now, he wants desharnais ON this team and likes what he see's enough to make a contract extension

lets see how much he gets, and how long more importantly,.. .i dont see how you give him more than 3 years but then does it get insulting for the player? , "I" want to see 3 years at 3 million a year, but it will be probably something closer to 4 mill for 4 years, and thats ok too, anything higher then that and ill be keeping an eye on that contract lol

Yep +1

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Not a fan, especially in the middle of a season where everybody is overachieving.

Couldn't we wait until after the POs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad