Describe your playing style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Alright this goes to all members of this forum who have played a bit of minor hockey. Who do you most closely resemble (playing style-wise) in the NHL? Or you can just say what you were (e.g. big hitting d-man, soft finesse player, cheap shot artist, etc...)

Well I for one, was a skilled (midget AA level) two-way playmaker. I mostly played on the second line and provided secondary offensive firepower. Well I was never really the go-to guy, so I'm like Brendan Morrisson.

Mar 4, 2003
Ottawa
The highest I played was Midget AA as well. I got switched from an offensive d-man to a playmaking center / right wing sometime during my Bantam years.

I am hard nosed, I play rough but I also love setting up goals rather than scoring them.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
When I was younger I was little so I was mostly just a second line forward, top 5 in scoring. My first year of Bantams I was 5' tall and weighed about 95 pounds. My 2nd year I was 5'10" and weighed 150 (just a growth spurt, not steroids) and everything changed. I moved back to "D" and the physical play picked up. Years that I was captain the penalty minutes got a bit excessive but most were from playing cop for others. I did manage 27 PIMS in a game though once so I guess that wasn't a good thing. I guess if I was like an NHL player it would be Rob Blake with a little Darius Kasperitus (I threw nasty hip checks). I finished Juniors at 6'2" and 215. I still play in senior leagues but had to change to an offensive "D" now since an elbow in the ear isn't allowed anymore.

IkeaMonkey*

Steelhead16 said:
When I was younger I was little so I was mostly just a second line forward, top 5 in scoring. My first year of Bantams I was 5' tall and weighed about 95 pounds. My 2nd year I was 5'10" and weighed 150.

10 INCHES IN ONE YEAR?!??! Holy shnikes.

Jysk

Jul 3, 2004
Skellefteå Sweden
A young Luke Richardsson. I was hitting everything that moved, and loved every minute of it. At one time i had 19 real bodychecks in a game, many of the was my beloved hip checks. My coach in B and a juniors ( 16 to 20 years old) sad that i was probobly the strongest junior player in Sweden at numeros times. I was a great skater as well, at least untill i tore my knee. Every thing that could be broken was broken in my right knee and i was forced to ritire after that :cry:

monkey_00*

A little bit of Paul Coffey and a little bit of Marty McSorely on defence........If anybody messes around with our Goalie I'm the one that takes care of business if you know what I mean...ala Marty McSorely...........also very fast and like to rush the puck up the ice from end-to-end like Coffey.

JMW814

Feb 21, 2005
Florida
LW, but Dan Boyle/Darryl Sydor style, minus the fighting. Not an aggressive player at all, but I can take my share.

WhitePony

Mar 29, 2003
Visit site
In goal for 7 years: A lot of ppl said Sean Burke...mostly cause I was a pretty big guy (6'4 253) and take up a lot of net

On LW: John Leclair--Not an overly great skater, but a wicked shot, moderately physical and a nose for the net.

On Defense--Adrian Aucoin---Not a great skater, but positionally sound. Usually hangs back but can be an offensive presence with a ridiculous slap shot, but not accurate.

BCCHL inactive

I was mostly a Chris Chelios type defenceman or a Claude Lemieux type forward (without the tendency to hit from behind). If I got the chance to get you with a stick, give you a facerub, or anything cheap, but not trying to injure my opponent (unless somebody tried to do it to me ...see below), I would do it.

Being a referee, I had a few advantages. Us zebras know all the cheap tricks, when and when not to take the opportunity for those tricks, and if I knew a referee in one of my games, sometimes it would work to my advantage.

I remember one bantam game I had to play centre, the other team's centreman wouldn't try to win draws, he would cross check my wrists. Unfortunately, the referee (who I knew) wasn't picking up on it. After the 4th-5th time I got a welt on my wrist, I told my coach that I wanted to have the two other biggest players on my next shift with me incase what I did started something nasty. I caught the guy coming across the blue line, and I Mark McGwired the top of his foot. I don't think I broke his foot, but I did the damage. I really did deserve a Match Penalty, but all the referee did is pull me aside at the next stoppage and said, "I know you don't normally do that, so I know he must have done something. Consider this your warning." :lol

This guy is now playing Rec C here. He plays the same...cheapshots, stick up, etc. He's currently suspended for uttering a racial slur, so I don't feel bad for trying to hack his foot off 6 years ago.

SergeiKost99

Mar 12, 2004
canada
I am playing Midget AAA now, I play RW, i think i resemble Steve Sullivan a lot. I can score goals but id rather pass and make the plays. I have good stickhandling, and i go into the corners and use my speed to get away from the defender and make the pass infront of the net. Plus Steve Sullivan's weight and height are basically what i am

bruins4777*

net.
I use a lot of paddle down and i stack the pads a decent amount, but not as much as i use too. I play with my glove up turned like vokoun and i use standup, so i resemble vokoun a lot. I shuffle around on my feet like vokoun a lot also. I never go down on both knees at one time. I'm a good scrambler for the puck and i have good stickwork.

Basically a vokoun,brodeur,raycroft fusion. I play standup, but the raycroft comes in cause i use a lot of full leg extensions and paddledown, which razor does more agressively than brodeur or vokoun.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
Well...Van can vouch for me on this one, but I'm a pretty damn good centerman. If I'm on my game, I don't lose many draws at all. Doesn't matter which side of the ice, if I'm on my game, I don't lose many face offs at all...and very rarely do I lose them cleanly.

My skating definitely leaves something to be desired. And that's basically a direct quote from former Spruce King coach/GM Glen Watson (now coach for Horse Lake) Said that was basically the only thing that kept me from making the team...and well...now I'm fat. hahaha

That being said. I have a good hands around the net, I mean, I collect garbage like NO OTHER! The other night both my goals were the result of going to the net, first one was a result in a GREAT face off win (yes I know I'm modest) followed up with a nice little tip. The 2nd goal was the result of going to the net with stick on ice. Ididn't realize the puck was in the net until I saw it sitting behind the tender...lol...I figured I'd shoveled it into him.

However, I really can't complain about my passing or shooting either. I've got an above average shot, although the release is a little lengthy, and my passing is pretty good, although sometimes a little ill-timed.

Defensively I've found myself to be getting a bit more lazy over the past couple years. That isn't to say that I'm often "out of position" defensively, but I tend to float high a little bit. It's like a switch I can turn off and on...haha...

Currently I'm 1st on my team in goals, 2nd in pts...3rd in the league in goals and 7th in pts. I've really got no complaints other than the fact we were only getting 6-9 guys for the better part of 2 months from the end of October onwards. But we're starting to come around.

But ya....my style of play and who it resembles...I'm really not sure. Used to be a "young" Trevor Linden type player. But I'm sorta evolving more into a goal scorer/pts guy...take yer pick!

AND...as an edit, I'm not afraid to drop the mitts...fought Calgary Roughneck "tough guy" Jeff Moleski in a rec game here a few years ago :D.....lost that one handedly!

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
I am a pretty tall kid that can take alot of punishment in my house league, I'm 5'8'' while most are around 5'' or less but weight only 120 lbs. I dominate as a result, but who wouldn't.

I have the body to be physical but I'm afraid of hurting other kids and getting complaints from other parents. I shy away from physical play but am a extremely fast skater and that would be the strong point of my game. I have a unmatchable wrist shot with a tennis ball, and can get it wherever i want, but I cant do as good with a puck.

I shoot softly. I let myself be controled by the puck. I either shot to late or early. I take bad descisions on when to shot and pass, as a result i comprimise chances.

But I've played for 1 year, and I think eventualy I would a younger Lindros like player who can use my size as a advantage.

damoose212001

Jan 16, 2005
Pittsburgh
More of the quick, agile goalie at about 6-0, 150 lbs that cuts the angle down pretty good. Also like to use the butterfly alot since i have alot of upper body to cover the net, but i'd say i mostly resemble MA Fleury's style.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I play defense and wing, which ever my coach decides I need to play. Why? Because I'm versatile.

Defensively I love to hit, and hit hard. My trademark is the breakout pass, guy gets and all of a sudden, boom, all he can feel is the boards. My main weakness is my footspeed, although I rarely get beaten wide, as I've learnt how to use my body to my advantage. I make a good first pass, and play the first unit powerplay because of my shot.

Offensively, I'm more of a chippy guy, that likes to mix it up. Whenever I play F, I play with the top line because A) I have the hands to play with them, and B) I use my size to give them more room. Imagine my as a Tomas Holmstrom type at my level, with a bit better scoring ability.

BTW, My team is currently going to to BC Provincials for Midget B.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Skittles.TML said:
I am a pretty tall kid that can take alot of punishment in my house league, I'm 5'8'' while most are around 5'' or less but weight only 120 lbs. I dominate as a result, but who wouldn't.

I have the body to be physical but I'm afraid of hurting other kids and getting complaints from other parents. I shy away from physical play but am a extremely fast skater and that would be the strong point of my game. I have a unmatchable wrist shot with a <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=11&k=tennis%20ball" onmouseover="window.status='tennis ball'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">tennis ball</a>, and can get it wherever i want, but I cant do as good with a puck.

I shoot softly. I let myself be controled by the puck. I either shot to late or early. I take bad descisions on when to shot and pass, as a result i comprimise chances.

But I've played for 1 year, and I think eventualy I would a younger Lindros like player who can use my size as a advantage.
You should dominate you're playing against Leprechauns!! (5")??? Seriously though, don't change how you play because other people cry about it. Those kids will grow and catch up and they won't take it easy on you later. Don't get in the habit of "playing down" to your competition it will be a hard habit to break later especially if you're new to the game. Play hard every shift and let the little guys fall where they may. Be a leader, don't follow!!! And keep playing, it's a great game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad