Post-Game Talk: DERYK ENGELLAND FOR NORRIS APPRECIATION THREAD Engelland - 5, Blue Jackets -3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Watching Glass trip over the circle when he was trying to defend the point was comedic gold.

I guess Glass and Quicksand make special "almost" plays only DB sees.

Adams is always good for a laugh (The announcers make it great) and I'd started to laugh at Dupuis before he got injured. It's a coping mechanism.

Fun stats!

Sidney Crosby:
October - 13GP 8G 13A 21P 1.62PPG 15.4S%
November - 15GP 5G 10A 15P 1.00PPG 10.9S%
December - 13GP 9G 13A 22P 1.69PPG 22.5S%

James Neal:
October - 1GP 0G 0A 0P 0.00PPG 0.00S%
November - 12GP 8G 8A 16P 1.33PPG 17.4S%
December - 8GP 6G 8A 14P 1.75PPG 16.7S%

Chris Kunitz:
October - 13GP 6G 7A 13P 1.00PPG 13.3S%
November - 15GP 8G 6A 14P 0.93PPG 17.4S%
December - 13GP 7G 8A 15P 1.15PPG 25.0S%

All three are playing their best hockey of the season right now. Great timing with all the injuries. Neal is having the best stretch of hockey anyone on this team has had since the beginning of the year when Crosby went on a 2 PPG pace.

Other stats:

Pascal Dupuis:
October - 13GP 2G 8A 10P 0.77PPG 5.3S%
November - 15GP 1G 2A 3P 0.20PPG 3.3S%
December - 11GP 4G 3A 7P 0.64PPG 13.8S%

Evgeni Malkin
October - 13GP 3G 7A 10P 0.77PPG 7.1S%
November - 15GP 4G 21A 25P 1.67PPG 10.5S%
December - 4GP 2G 4A 6P 1.50PPG 16.7S%

Jussi Jokinen
October - 13GP 6G 2A 8P 0.62PPG 17.1S%
November - 15GP 3G 7A 10P 0.67PPG 14.3S%
December - 13GP 0G 8A 8P 0.62PPG 0.0S%

The difference between Dupuis and Geno's Novembers is kind of hilarious. Also, for as inconsistent as Jokinen seems, it's ironic that his numbers are pretty steady (goal scoring obviously not included).

Jokinen being that consistent is legitimately surprising, November was rough for Crosby, and Neal has missed so many games. Malkin will now try to even up with Neal.

Dupuis is embarrassing there.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I was also amused at this revelation :laugh:

It's kind of funny when you realize that Neal had 3X as many goals and almost 2X the number of points in tonight's game as Dupuis had the entire month of November.

yea... funny. that's the word I'd use. Funny.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Glass, Adams, Orpik, and Kobasew could be traded and the team wouldn't know the difference.

The team would know the difference, because the team would be a lot better.

It's not even the fact that they're individually bad (though they are), it's the fact we seem to collect a bunch of them and Bylsma then seems to give them ridiculous amounts of ice time/responsibility. It wouldn't be so bad if we employed one of Kobasew or Adams or Connor or Glass. It's the fact we've got multiples of them infesting the bottom six. And to compound the issue, Bylsma seems to legitimately believe they're capable of being the shutdown/late game defensive players to protect leads.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Neals had 8 points his last 2 games. 30 in 21 games, Malkin's had 41 in 32 games. Neal can have more points in Malkin in 32 games possibly. Obviously Neal wont stay at a 4 PPG pace, but he's been on a an insane level this season! if not for the injuries at the beginning of the year and the suspension this would be a career year for Neal, probably break 90 points, maybe even 95. Who woulda thought that was possible for Neal when we got him? haha.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Neal has been a solid player away from the puck, once a guy that couldn't generate much on his own without a solid playmaker is starting to create on his own. He's not some one dimensional sniper anymore, thank god he is signed for 5m/yr.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Hmm. I wonder if those two things are related... :laugh:

Bylsma says that Crosby dragged Dupuis down. Danny Bylsma has a Jack Adams that has inspired people on this board to drink Jack Daniel's, as did Dupuis.

I wonder how Dupuis' points/60 min ranks in the NHL for November. It's probably enough to break someone here.

I wish that Zatkoff had been played more, just to get a better idea of what's going on with Fleury.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
At the risk of being negative again in a win, I hope Shero's a bit concerned that the offense of this team is generated basically by one line. Yes, I know, Geno and Bennett returning will improve that to a two-line team, but to go far in the playoffs you're going to need a LOT more than this team gets from lines 3 and 4.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The team would know the difference, because the team would be a lot better.

It's not even the fact that they're individually bad (though they are), it's the fact we seem to collect a bunch of them and Bylsma then seems to give them ridiculous amounts of ice time/responsibility. It wouldn't be so bad if we employed one of Kobasew or Adams or Connor or Glass. It's the fact we've got multiples of them infesting the bottom six. And to compound the issue, Bylsma seems to legitimately believe they're capable of being the shutdown/late game defensive players to protect leads.

Look how much ice time our 4th liners get compared to other teams in the league. While most teams use their worst players sparingly, usually 8-10 minutes per game, our coach has 36 year old Craig Adams playing 13 ****ing minutes while consistently being a liability on both ends of the ice.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
At the risk of being negative again in a win, I hope Shero's a bit concerned that the offense of this team is generated basically by one line. Yes, I know, Geno and Bennett returning will improve that to a two-line team, but to go far in the playoffs you're going to need a LOT more than this team gets from lines 3 and 4.

By the power of Glass and Adams, we will be fine...

bylsma1_330.jpg

"Ray, don't worry. We're just getting to our game."

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Look how much ice time our 4th liners get compared to other teams in the league. While most teams use their worst players sparingly, usually 8-10 minutes per game, our coach has 36 year old Craig Adams playing 13 ****ing minutes while consistently being a liability on both ends of the ice.

I really feel that if we had Darren Helm, Max Talbot, and 5 other great 4th line players in the league, Bylsmeh would still have Adams in the lineup.

I find it funny also that Adams is 36, not only sucks, but never gets a day off. He'll scratch guys like Joey V and others but no matter what, hell or high water, you can bet Craig "mini Dan" Adams will be in the lineup.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

I would be thrilled if in an Olympic year Bylsma was saving stars some wear and tear by playing grunts more, but the stars still se a crapload of ice time, they just get double shifted with the worthless guys so not only does Adams and glass get 13 minutes... there is overlap time with Crosby and malkin in there more than just occasionally

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I wonder how Dan will handle the Olympics without Gladams and Duper.

My guess is he'll compromise by having Dustin Brown play the most minutes of any forward while randomly benching Kane and Kessel.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

It's to the point where Bylsma's reasoning is mind boggling. On any other team in the league, a guy like Adams would either be the perpetual 13th forward or outright waived. On the Pens, he's utilized like he's friggin' Patrice Bergeron.

To make matters worse, Bylsma also seems intent on sending out Adams' equally useless buddy Glass in what is arguably the worst shutdown line in both the NHL and AHL.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Neal has been a solid player away from the puck, once a guy that couldn't generate much on his own without a solid playmaker is starting to create on his own. He's not some one dimensional sniper anymore, thank god he is signed for 5m/yr.

Thank god he still has 4 more years of his contract with Pens, i'd hate to see his next contract.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I wonder how Dan will handle the Olympics without Gladams and Duper.

My guess is he'll compromise by having Dustin Brown play the most minutes of any forward while randomly benching Kane and Kessel.

Bylsma is going to hate Kessel so much. :laugh:

Is there a defenseman that can be converted to forward?

It's to the point where Bylsma's reasoning is mind boggling. On any other team in the league, a guy like Adams would either be the perpetual 13th forward or outright waived. On the Pens, he's utilized like he's friggin' Patrice Bergeron.

To make matters worse, Bylsma also seems intent on sending out Adams' equally useless buddy Glass in what is arguably the worst shutdown line in both the NHL and AHL.

I'm reasonably sure that if Bylsma could get a third Gladams, that Sutter would be sol. I don't think Bylsma realizes that 4th lines aren't played a lot for a reason, it's not because they just need a chance. Lesser players get played less. But no, Pascal Dupuis gets 1st line minutes that trump Malkin's, Deryk Engelland leads the team in TOI, Gladams matches or surpasses the 3rd line in minutes and play with the stars regularly.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
- The mentally ill Columbus fans screaming "Crybaby" ever 5 seconds. Seriously... i felt bad for these guys when Crosby started lighting their team up in the 3rd. But they just wouldn't stop. Anyone else catch this throughout the broadcast? These idiots must have been right next to the television mic.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
How does Engelland play over Despres? HOW? HOW? HOW? HOW? HOW?
and on top of that lead all our defensemen in TOI...

Also were my eyes deceiving me or did I see Glass and Adams on the 2nd PP unit?

look again. He didn't just lead the defensemen in ice time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce