Post-Game Talk: DERYK ENGELLAND FOR NORRIS APPRECIATION THREAD Engelland - 5, Blue Jackets -3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
If not for the boxscore I wouldn't have known that Kobasew played.

Glass, Adams, Kobasew, Gibbons, Conner, Sill

For the most part these guys add nothing (although I think Sill does well enough when he is a 4th line winger and doesn't have his poor faceoff ability drag down his performance - and line). Conner has had a few good offensive actions, but is the worst player, THE WORST, in our own zone.

That is six forwards who will regularly do nothing for us. That is a lot. Malkin, Beau and Megna will cut that number down to three... or perhaps somewhat less what with the trickle down effect.

Anyway, we have that level of weakness on forward while Despres and Dumoulin are sitting out and Letang and Martin are injured. However many D-men Shero likes to have for the playoffs, this stuff has to resonate with him also.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Crosby 64 points, Neal 18 goals, Kunitz 49 points if that line stuck together for 5 games. I expect Neal to be back to the second line next game which is NYR.

:laugh: Something like that.

Tuesday's game is against New Jersey, but I agree. Even if Malkin is out again, Neal won't be with Sid until we are losing or look like crap.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
According to them you have to root for the team of the city you live in, no questions asked.

I think they've started a variation of the real fan argument, the most tedious argument of all. It's a dick thing to do to the CBJ fans that don't live in Columbus, though. Awkward. :laugh:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Glass, Adams, Orpik, and Kobasew could be traded and the team wouldn't know the difference.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think Team Canada would be sort of crazy to not take Kunitz-Crosby-Neal

Just glad it won't be KCD for first line of Canada, what a waste that would be. KCN would be fine by me! Gives them a chance to get real good chemistry together.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Glass, Adams, Orpik, and Kobasew could be traded and the team wouldn't know the difference.

They might notice not being trapped in our own zone for 13 minutes a game or consistently allowing goals in the last two minutes.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
the biggest thing that comes up as we start to get healthy, is again, I have no clue what this team's identity is.

When they were injured and we had a bunch of AHL guys playing instead of Glass, Adams, Orpik and Engelland, I saw an identity. Sure, it lacked flash, but they scored a lot of goals, hit everything, and didn't chase the puck in their own zone.

What's this team's identity supposed to be when healthy?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
:laugh: Something like that.

Tuesday's game is against New Jersey, but I agree. Even if Malkin is out again, Neal won't be with Sid until we are losing or look like crap.

I'd love to see KCN line chase Brodeur from the net. I guess NYR is after. I know we play them this week, then Van next week.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
the biggest thing that comes up as we start to get healthy, is again, I have no clue what this team's identity is.

When they were injured and we had a bunch of AHL guys playing instead of Glass, Adams, Orpik and Engelland, I saw an identity. Sure, it lacked flash, but they scored a lot of goals, hit everything, and didn't chase the puck in their own zone.

Slow, small, passive, and Crolkineal.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Glad to see the team still finding ways to win through the injuries. They didn't play well tonight but a win is a win.

Hard not to get annoyed with Despres being scratched but it was expected. I've said for a while that it would happen and I've also maintained they'll be willing to send him down when enough guys get healthy too.

I really hate watching Adams and Glass. They spend the whole time in their own end for so many reasons. Too slow, handling the puck like a grenade, can't string together the necessary passes to get the puck to the offensive zone and can't posses it in the rare occurrence that they actually do get to the offensive zone. Just awful to watch. Kobasew is quickly approaching Adams and Glass level of worthlessness out there too.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Roster is too stale, needs new blood. Teams been together far too long, I want a bunch if hungry noobs!

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Glad to see the team still finding ways to win through the injuries. They didn't play well tonight but a win is a win.

Hard not to get annoyed with Despres being scratched but it was expected. I've said for a while that it would happen and I've also maintained they'll be willing to send him down when enough guys get healthy too.

I really hate watching Adams and Glass. They spend the whole time in their own end for so many reasons. Too slow, handling the puck like a grenade, can't string together the necessary passes to get the puck to the offensive zone and can't posses it in the rare occurrence that they actually do get to the offensive zone. Just awful to watch. Kobasew is quickly approaching Adams and Glass level of worthlessness out there too.

No that can't be right because the smartest coach in hockey thinks he's an option for Crosby's line.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Neal is playing at such a high level now, hes like a mini Stamkos.

I hope Geno gets back soon, KCN are starting to play to good, i don't want Canada to get any ideas of bringing that line to the Olympics.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Watching Glass trip over the circle when he was trying to defend the point was comedic gold.

I guess Glass and Quicksand make special "almost" plays only DB sees.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Old, talentless and slow; young, talented and fast. Yin and yang, but it's a horrible balance to have.

It's a speed based system, but my God does Bylsma like his slow players, it continues to confuse me. Removing some of the slow players, those without talent, would go a long way to improving this team and the way it looks.

They don't have an identity aside from Bylsma's favourites being used to dictate everything.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
According to them you have to root for the team of the city you live in, no questions asked.

They barely understand pro sports.. the only real pro team they ever rooted for was Ohio State... most follow Cleveland and Cincinnati sports, and you can hardly call most of those teams professional teams... You follow the team you follow... you don't just change willy nilly... :laugh:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Fun stats!

Sidney Crosby:
October - 13GP 8G 13A 21P 1.62PPG 15.4S%
November - 15GP 5G 10A 15P 1.00PPG 10.9S%
December - 13GP 9G 13A 22P 1.69PPG 22.5S%

James Neal:
October - 1GP 0G 0A 0P 0.00PPG 0.00S%
November - 12GP 8G 8A 16P 1.33PPG 17.4S%
December - 8GP 6G 8A 14P 1.75PPG 16.7S%

Chris Kunitz:
October - 13GP 6G 7A 13P 1.00PPG 13.3S%
November - 15GP 8G 6A 14P 0.93PPG 17.4S%
December - 13GP 7G 8A 15P 1.15PPG 25.0S%

All three are playing their best hockey of the season right now. Great timing with all the injuries. Neal is having the best stretch of hockey anyone on this team has had since the beginning of the year when Crosby went on a 2 PPG pace.

Other stats:

Pascal Dupuis:
October - 13GP 2G 8A 10P 0.77PPG 5.3S%
November - 15GP 1G 2A 3P 0.20PPG 3.3S%
December - 11GP 4G 3A 7P 0.64PPG 13.8S%

Evgeni Malkin
October - 13GP 3G 7A 10P 0.77PPG 7.1S%
November - 15GP 4G 21A 25P 1.67PPG 10.5S%
December - 4GP 2G 4A 6P 1.50PPG 16.7S%

Jussi Jokinen
October - 13GP 6G 2A 8P 0.62PPG 17.1S%
November - 15GP 3G 7A 10P 0.67PPG 14.3S%
December - 13GP 0G 8A 8P 0.62PPG 0.0S%

The difference between Dupuis and Geno's Novembers is kind of hilarious. Also, for as inconsistent as Jokinen seems, it's ironic that his numbers are pretty steady (goal scoring obviously not included).

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Watching Glass trip over the circle when he was trying to defend the point was comedic gold.

I guess Glass and Quicksand make special "almost" plays only DB sees.

No, its that they try real hard and give up their body for the team... effort doesn't surpass talent. Talent giving maximum effort is always the ideal, but if you can get 12 superstars giving 80% they will beat 12 grinders giving 100% 9 out of 10 times. There is a place for grinders on a NHL team, but only for a small amount and they should be replaced with younger faster and more versatile upgrades at every chance...

I just see the Gladams thing as Bylsma living vicariously through them... Im sure they are great guys, but hey shot blocking only gets you so far in hockey

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

My favorite is quickly becoming the inevitable breakaway that one of these two gets almost every game now, only never finishes on for some combination of no hands/no speed/no vision... teams are not even accounting for these guys... they take huge risks because there is zero chance they are going to score the other way...

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
My favorite is quickly becoming the inevitable breakaway that one of these two gets almost every game now, only never finishes on for some combination of no hands/no speed/no vision... teams are not even accounting for these guys... they take huge risks because there is zero chance they are going to score the other way...

a two-on-0... and the puck rolls off of Glass' stick. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
my god, Juice is consistent!

I was also amused at this revelation :laugh:

It's kind of funny when you realize that Neal had 3X as many goals and almost 2X the number of points in tonight's game as Dupuis had the entire month of November.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad