Player Discussion Derrick Pouliot, Pt. II: Will not be qualified (again)

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
As for offering more than the minimum, it's rare for players to make the minimum period so I don't see what the big deal is. Luke Schenn makes $800K. If Mitch Eliot makes the Canucks, his cap hit is over $800K. $800K is pretty standard for a player like Pouliot.

Pouliot shouldnt be anywhere near an NHL roster. So no, 800k isnt the standard for a guy like him.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I think he's actually the worst player in the league. I watch a lot of hockey. Nobody else does the Pejorative Slured things he does on such a consistent basis. Don't even need to look at any numbers.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I think he's actually the worst player in the league. I watch a lot of hockey. Nobody else does the ******ed things he does on such a consistent basis. Don't even need to look at any numbers.

Agreed. He does make 2-3 good passes per game. It’s the 15+ mistakes in the defensive zone per game, just horrible. The guy is so easy to go by he’s not even an AHL caliber defenceman.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Watching him last night made me feel bad for Gud

And then you remembered that if the shoe was on the other foot (or puck on the other stick) the results would have been the same...just up the other side. Neither one should be getting a regular shift in the NHL. It's been obvious for a long long while.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
We either keep this guy to HELP the tank, or get rid of him.

It's like his brain turns off in the defensive end. He literally does not know what to do on defense.

His so called "offensive" instincts ( 8 pts ) does not offset his negatives.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Do you want him as the #9 option? For the past few years the Canucks have preferred to carry 8 Dmen on the roster. There hasn't really been a guy on the farm who can perform at an AHL all star level who the Canucks' coach can trust to play NHL games. It obviously depends on what happens to the blueline. If everyone returns, you don't really need Pouliot with Hughes coming in and Juolevi in the system.

As for offering more than the minimum, it's rare for players to make the minimum period so I don't see what the big deal is. Luke Schenn makes $800K. If Mitch Eliot makes the Canucks, his cap hit is over $800K. $800K is pretty standard for a player like Pouliot.
For one, I don't want Pouliot signed as a #9, because as long as Green is here Pouliot will never be played as a #9. Sometimes you have to take away a coach's favourite toys. Plus better AHL players than Pouliot are easily available every summer.

Eliot's cap hit is only that high because's he is on and ELC, and not because he actually deserves it. This is also why Laplante has a higher cap hit than Boucher. Veteran AHL callups should have a cap hit near league minimum. That's what Sanguinetti, Biega (before his NHL breakout), Fedun, and Wiercioch all got. Pouliot is worse than all of those player expect for maybe Wiercioch.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
This guy sucks ass. Is Green blind or just ****ing ******ed?

Atleast he helps us lose I guess.

Not sure if Green is just blind, or it's because we literally have no better options available. At this point, I'd prefer to call up Brisebois/McEneny/Sautner and dress them over Pouliot. That Pouliot and Gudbranson pairing was atrocious last night.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
For one, I don't want Pouliot signed as a #9, because as long as Green is here Pouliot will never be played as a #9. Sometimes you have to take away a coach's favourite toys. Plus better AHL players than Pouliot are easily available every summer.

That's fair and you're entitled to that opinion.

Eliot's cap hit is only that high because's he is on and ELC, and not because he actually deserves it. This is also why Laplante has a higher cap hit than Boucher. Veteran AHL callups should have a cap hit near league minimum. That's what Sanguinetti, Biega (before his NHL breakout), Fedun, and Wiercioch all got. Pouliot is worse than all of those player expect for maybe Wiercioch.

But Pouliot isn't an AHL veteran callup. That's the point and personal feelings in regard to that player doesn't change the facts. If you decide to bring him back, $800K AAV is a pretty standard salary. Of course if he gets placed on waivers this year and he clears and spends the rest of the year in the AHL that's a different story. Taking offense to the suggestion of paying him $100-150K AAV over the minimum is just stupid when you think the player will spend most of his time in the AHL.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
They traded a top-100 pick + a player that cost us another top-100 pick to acquire for Derrick Pouliot.

Then they watched him play all of last year, and thought, this.....this is the guy who should be a full time NHL player.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So are yours, whats point? Just being Greens little pet peeve doesnt make him NHL quality.

What I was talking about is relevant to the discussion while you're simply expressing your personal views that are irrelevant. If you think Pouliot shouldn't be re-signed and doesn't belong anywhere near an NHL roster, why bother arguing over whether to pay Pouliot $800K vs 650-700K AAV? It's like a vegan joining in the discussion of whether a butcher shop should adjust their prices.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The good news is that it should be clear to Green and Benning that evaluation and deployment were the issues as much as the available talent. Hutton-Stecher looks like a functional 2nd pair. If they can find an unspectacular but reliable defensive 3rd-pair RHD, things aren't looking so bad.

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher
Hughes-Mr. Stay At Home

That doesn't seem like a particularly difficult patch job for the short term.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The good news is that it should be clear to Green and Benning that evaluation and deployment were the issues as much as the available talent. Hutton-Stecher looks like a functional 2nd pair. If they can find an unspectacular but reliable defensive 3rd-pair RHD, things aren't looking so bad.

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher
Hughes-Mr. Stay At Home

That doesn't seem like a particularly difficult patch job for the short term.
Not at all, but they need to be willing. We've thought a lot of things were clear over the years and then we get surprised by what they do.

And if you look at your potential blueline, you could hope Hughes is the real deal and you could acquire a legitimate top 4 RS guy, then Hutton-Stecher is an excellent 3rd pair. There are options, we just have to hope that the evaluation is as clear to those in charge as they are to us.

Reactions: Blue and Green

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
What I was talking about is relevant to the discussion while you're simply expressing your personal views that are irrelevant. If you think Pouliot shouldn't be re-signed and doesn't belong anywhere near an NHL roster, why bother arguing over whether to pay Pouliot $800K vs 650-700K AAV? It's like a vegan joining in the discussion of whether a butcher shop should adjust their prices.
It’s like someone who eats meat walking into a butcher shop and saying “maybe throw the rotting meat out”...

Reactions: Peter10 and timw33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad