Confirmed with Link: Dermott to VAN for a 3rd round pick

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
thats the dumbest reasoning ever ........

5 years after the draft ... his draft position means nothing ...
for example hagel was a 6th orunder or something. i think Chicago was going to trade him for nothing because he was a late pick ?
No I think Chicago increased his value by developing him and got a return better than the pick they spent , You do realize Chicago got 2 players plus 2 conditional 1st rnd picks for Hagel ? Perhaps you should find a trade that fits your narrative of the other posters logic being dumb because Dermott was 2nd who we developed and traded for a 3rd .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Ya, the oilers should've been able to get a 1st overall pick back for Yakupov way back when
Another statement that says nothing , getting a lesser return was indeed an loss to the Oilers for drafting a bust of sorts , Teams take loses like this all the time but that doesn't make them wins bud .

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Another statement that says nothing , getting a lesser return was indeed an loss to the Oilers for drafting a bust of sorts , Teams take loses like this all the time but that doesn't make them wins bud .
I was being sarcastic. That was basically his logic

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
Dermott's like, okay, now I get to plan my post-season vacation 10 days sooner than usual.

His presser last night was touching. It meant a lot for him to be in Toronto. He's got to be reeling this afternoon. Hope it works out as a full-timer in Seattle.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Good luck kid.

CE6D8351-9704-45A4-BCB6-B90AE169779D.jpeg

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Dermott's like, okay, now I get to plan my post-season vacation 10 days sooner than usual.

His presser last night was touching. It meant a lot for him to be in Toronto. He's got to be reeling this afternoon. Hope it works out as a full-timer in Seattle.

lol he's going to Vancouver me lord

Obo

Nov 20, 2019
I too will continue to root for him. I've always been a fan, especially of his mobility, and have been hoping he could put it together here but it never quite happened. Hopefully the change of scenery will be what he needs to finally take that next step.

I've always wondered how much that shoulder injury in his first full season set back his development. He'd started the year off well then seemed to plateau after he came back.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
All the best to him. I still remember how disappointed he was when I didnt recognize him in a marlies game because I kind of knew but was hesitant :laugh: He's always been nice to the fans from what i remember too.

Hopefully it owkrs out for him

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think Dermott carves himself out a nice long career. Not sure if he hits his upside but I think as he gets more experience and matures he’ll round out into a good D-man.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
A third rounder is low probability for an NHLer. Dermott is an NHLer.

1.5AAV isn't horrible.

Management really wanted him gone

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's not the best value for Dermott straight up but at the end of the day, money out allows for money in. In a more and more stagnant cap world that could work for us. And I think reality is management soured on him, probably after that Game 6 OT turnover and lack of progress in his career.

One weird thing I noticed. Mark Giordano has 23 NHL playoff games played in his career. Ol' Dermy has 22. Strange.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A bit of history..

In 2015 entry draft the Leafs had the #24 overall pick in the 1st round (that became Travis Konecny a scrappy player that has 104 goals and 255 NHL points and 240 pims)

However Dubas then Leafs interim GM traded back twice from #24 to #29, and then back again to #34 (to draft Dermott and picked up the #61 (Jeremy Bracco) in the 2nd and #68 (Martins Dzierkals) in the 3rd).

Many Leaf fans liked this move, praised new head scout Mark Hunter for his keen scouting eye, but not all.

Now the story is continuing as Travis Dermott is dealt for a 3rd rounder, while the other 2 players are long gone from the organization.

So we will soon find out the residual value of what became of this all when Leafs make their 2022 3d round pick (originally owed by Winnipeg)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindgren

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't mind the return. Not sure why we kept him as long as we did since there never appeared to be any interest in playing him above 3rd pair. Didn't even try to make him Daneyko-type or anything either. Just toiled away at the bottom of the lineup for five years. Hope he does well in Vancouver.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This is a perfect example of what happens when you "keep a guy too long" / hold him back... much like the Leafs have done with Liljegren over the last 2 years.

Reactions: Mickey Marner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad