Confirmed with Link: Dermott to VAN for a 3rd round pick

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Good luck Travis.

We drafted him 2nd; and we are getting only a 3rd after developing him? Thats a net loss in my books

thats the dumbest reasoning ever ........

5 years after the draft ... his draft position means nothing ...
for example hagel was a 6th orunder or something. i think Chicago was going to trade him for nothing because he was a late pick ?

Reactions: vpasla1

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I was at the game when he scored his first goal - he had this big smile on his face. There was an ovation that prompted him to look up at the big screen, where he was displayed with the caption FIRST NHL GOAL. Him realizing the standing O was for him, and the beaming big smile that accompanied that, is a personal fav memory of mine.

Sad it didn't work out for him, but as he said the other day - as a local kid he got to live out the dream, and I'm really excited to see what he does with a renewed opportunity and a fresh start.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I'm fine this trade. Dermott had no future here and needed a change in scenery. Toronto needs the asset to use elsewhere because we have so few. Would pumped to see Holl go out the door for a 2nd.+ depth pick as well.

Reactions: Tak7

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Good luck Travis.

We drafted him 2nd; and we are getting only a 3rd after developing him? Thats a net loss in my books

Depends on how one frames it. Most draft picks that eventually don't turn out tend to not return anything of value. This way the Leafs get at least another lottery pick at the draft from it. Travis developed, just not as good as we would have preferred. Still not a consistent NHLer a good team.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Good return. Happy for Dermott. He deserves a fresh start. He's stuck here. Versatile, can play either side, will be an every day guy in Vancouver likely
Agreed. For D-men especially, success depends on chemistry with your partner. Travis never found that here. He will be fine.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Liked Dermott, he was just never able to really take the next step. Hope he gets a better chance of sticking in a lineup in Vancouver. Best of luck to him!

Reactions: aingefan

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Can't argue much with a third round pick...from a non-contender...in the other conference. Just as happy to know that the team didn't ultimately subtract from their blueline depth either (Giordano acquisition).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad