Marlies Discussion: Dermott and Andreas Johnsson to Marlies

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Can Johnsson and Dermott go right into the Marlies lineup or do they have to wait until the next series?

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
I don't think they do.
But let's hope there is a next series. Utica is proving to be a thorn.

That's why I'm hoping they can go right into the lineup. I'd be a little more certain of a second round series if they were in the lineup.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Stupid move imo

These 2 are nhlers and mainstays with us

Why the f*** send them down and overplay them with and against weaker competition.

Guess the organization didn’t learn from overplaying hainsey and Andersen all year long which ultimately cost us the season

Really poor managerial moves

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Stupid move imo

Why the **** send them down and overplay them with and against weaker competition.

Guess the organization didn’t learn from overplaying hainsey and Andersen all year long which ultimately cost us the season

Marlies are tied 2-2 in their best of 5 series with the deciding game #5 going Sunday.

If the Marlies lose that game is will be a real rough ending to the season for the Leafs organization top to bottom NHL and AHL after strong regular seasons by both.

Marlies finished 1st overall in the AHL this year with 112 points, and so losing in the first round would be a disaster.. So all hands on deck to try and extend the Marlies season, so the players on the farm get more Calder Cup playoff games experience.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Stupid move imo

Why the **** send them down and overplay them with and against weaker competition.

Wth how is it stupid? Every team does it, and they get to play with the squad they were playing with before their call-ups. A Calder cup run does give playoff experience even if AHL level, and builds chemistry / a good locker room as it makes everyone get closer together, which is a good thing to have when other Marlies get called up

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Stupid move imo

this is so silly. "overplay" is something that is too difficult to measure. overplay Crosby by letting him play for Canada in the Olympics (against weaker competition) right before a cup run? let Crosby play in the World Cup right after a cup run?

"Overplay" is also something you never describe a starting goalie as either.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Too bad Kappy wasn't also Marlies bound instead of heading the World Championships instead as they could really use him as well.

Marner

Hi I'm Mitch
Jan 30, 2010
Ottawa
lol at overplay. You do realize these guys have been on the ice practically every single day since they were toddlers.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Too bad Kappy wasn't also Marlies bound instead of heading the World Championships instead as they could really use him as well.
Ya but better for Kapanen to go tot the WC. I'm glad to see we are still focused on development of players and doing what we think is best for said players development.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
The youngsters need as much high quality competition they can get at this stage of their careers. If the Marlies go deep this year both Dermott and AJ will have to be the prime reasons for that happening. They will gain valuable experience of how to lead your team deep thru hard grueling series and it will pay dividends for the Leafs next year when they try and hope to do the same.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
It's probably their last time in the AHL as dermott's an NHL regular next year and Johnsson likely is too.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Stupid move imo

Not stupid at all. Two young guys playing important AHL playoff hockey is great experience. This is absolutely the right thing to do. Comparing them to overplaying Hainsey is absolutely ridiculous.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I think this is terrific. Both players should play big roles. Need a win Sunday!

Is it televised?

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
Stupid move imo

Overplay them??!?!?

They better get used to playing more than one playoff round. This is the last year the Leafs are getting booted first round. This will be good practice for years to come when we either go deep or all the way

horner

May 22, 2007
Dermot or Neilson mmmmmmmm tough decision .

Dermot .

Neilson learn how to skate and think practice practice practice.

Absolutely the right decision sending Dermot and Johnson down

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Sparks getting outdueled by Demko, no surprise there, he's an average AHL goaltender playing on a stacked team. :help::help:

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Terrific game by these two today, you can tell they were on a different level than the other AHLers. I was also impressed with Grundstrom. As for the defence, there is no one on there that could have helped us in these playoffs, we're going to have to go out and acquire them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad