Marlies Discussion: Dermott and Andreas Johnsson to Marlies

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Stupid move imo

These 2 are nhlers and mainstays with us

Why the **** send them down and overplay them with and against weaker competition.

Guess the organization didn’t learn from overplaying hainsey and Andersen all year long which ultimately cost us the season

Really poor managerial moves

I couldn't disagree with this more.
Playing time had nothing to do with it. An already questionable DCore in over their heads and forwards we depended on all year performing a disappearing act is what costed the leafs that series.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Are FreeBird and TWS one anothers alter egos?

I think Marlies are super thankful for having received AJ and Dermy. Had Engvall not emerged as a player, I'm fairly certain we would have seen Kappy sent down too instead of being let go to the WC. As much as he would help the Marlies on the Calder run, he would block out a few young kids who can really use the experience of the playoffs.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Wth how is it stupid? Every team does it, and they get to play with the squad they were playing with before their call-ups. A Calder cup run does give playoff experience even if AHL level, and builds chemistry / a good locker room as it makes everyone get closer together, which is a good thing to have when other Marlies get called up

not just that but it's puts johnsson and dermott into high pressure go to guy roles and thats a great thing

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Stupid move imo

These 2 are nhlers and mainstays with us

Why the **** send them down and overplay them with and against weaker competition.

Guess the organization didn’t learn from overplaying hainsey and Andersen all year long which ultimately cost us the season

Really poor managerial moves

Dermott averaged roughly 10 minutes per game, for the last 3 games against Boston. This isn't what I'd consider "overplaying" him. This is a case where players like him and Jonsson can get some much needed experience. While the AHL definitely is a step down in terms of quality of players, there are plenty of players in that league that have also played in the NHL. Plus, they're very likely to get more than just 3rd pairing and 4th line minutes.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Are FreeBird and TWS one anothers alter egos?

I think Marlies are super thankful for having received AJ and Dermy. Had Engvall not emerged as a player, I'm fairly certain we would have seen Kappy sent down too instead of being let go to the WC. As much as he would help the Marlies on the Calder run, he would block out a few young kids who can really use the experience of the playoffs.

Probably not. Bracco is sitting right now. Bracco likely would have been put in a lot more had Engvall and Johnsson not been around. After that, they'd probably be fine with Baun or Clune or even some of their ATO's (Ferguson for example) in there as well. As 4th liners, you could do a lot worse.

As for the Marlies, they have 2 extra LD and an extra RD. I think they are facing injuries right now, but it's not like they weren't able to get by without Dermott on defense. They did pretty well throughout the year without him, and other than a few bum games from Sparks, did well in Utica without him as well.

Remember that the Leafs have not used any of their prospects on ATO's either. Middleton, Gordeev, McGregor, Rasanen, etc. were not even considered for the Marlies because they would never even had a small sniff at the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad