Player Discussion Derek Stepan: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Anyone else not get the Derek Stepan hate on the main boards?? Ridiculous this guy doesn't get the credit he deserves

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Anyone else not get the Derek Stepan hate on the main boards?? Ridiculous this guy doesn't get the credit he deserves

He's not Bergeron, therefore Stepan isn't worth peoples time to discuss. He also doesn't have Beregons stats, so people won't think he's good.

Its crazy how underrated Stepan is at times to the hockey community at large.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He's not Bergeron, therefore Stepan isn't worth peoples time to discuss. He also doesn't have Beregons stats, so people won't think he's good.

Its crazy how underrated Stepan is at times to the hockey community at large.

I think it fits the narrative of the Rangers not being that good.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Surprised there's not more criticism.

10 points in 19 games after another underwhelming playoffs. Continuing his trend he started last year of committing awful turnovers.

Starting to look like another fantastic contract.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

10 points in 19 games after another underwhelming playoffs. Continuing his trend he started last year of committing awful turnovers.

Surprised at his points this season. But he's a smart player. Step just gets it. I'm sure he'll finish the season with a way higher number of points that what he's currently on pace for.

And how much is on Stepan and how much is on his linemates? I expected so much more from Kreider and Miller this year.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think a lot is on his line mates. There is nothing resembling a finisher on that line and Kreider's offense game....leaves a lot to be desired. That RW spot has been an eye sore since the summer and nothing was done about it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Surprised at his points this season. But he's a smart player. Step just gets it. I'm sure he'll finish the season with a way higher number of points that what he's currently on pace for.

And how much is on Stepan and how much is on his linemates? I expected so much more from Kreider and Miller this year.

He can be a smart player at times and then there's other times where I can't believe he dresses himself like the powerplay last night.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

lol oh jeez.

I understand the frustration over what he did last night but his last 2 playoff runs have been absolutely fine.

He starts slow every season, lets stop acting like this is something new with him.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
He can be a smart player at times and then there's other times where I can't believe he dresses himself like the powerplay last night.

I think you can say that about every Ranger sometimes. Every player makes mistakes. It's just that Stepan impresses me with more smart plays than infuriates me with dumb plays. I've seen Crosby make stupid plays. It happens.

However, he still needs to pick it up offensively. Defensively and especially on the PK, I think he's been stellar.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
lol oh jeez.

I understand the frustration over what he did last night but his last 2 playoff runs have been absolutely fine.

He starts slow every season, lets stop acting like this is something new with him.

He's been handed the reigns as the 1C with this new contract. He's produced at a 51 point pace over the last two playoff runs, versus a 65 point pace over the last three regular seasons. That doesn't cut it.

It's early on yet, but I was hoping this would be the year when he took over and solidified that this team had a legit 1st line center. At this point I still look at Hayes and Brassard and think Stepan's not that much better.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
lol oh jeez.

He was PPG after this many games last season.

The season prior to that he had 14 pts in the first 19 games.

Currently, he is at 10 pts...almost half of what he had at this point last year.

Just sayin'

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stepan is not a player that I think we should be worrying about.

How many more points should he have at this point? Another four or five? That can easily be explained by the fact that Kreider has struggled to score so far and he hasn't had a consistent RW.

He also has dealt with that tooth problem, which is apparently something that has effected his play.

He wasn't really "bad" in the playoffs. Maybe a below-average 19 game stretch, but not bad, and he also had one of the most clutch goals in the past few playoff seasons for any player on any team.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
He's been handed the reigns as the 1C with this new contract. He's produced at a 51 point pace over the last two playoff runs, versus a 65 point pace over the last three regular seasons. That doesn't cut it.

It's early on yet, but I was hoping this would be the year when he took over and solidified that this team had a legit 1st line center. At this point I still look at Hayes and Brassard and think Stepan's not that much better.

Curious as to what the normal ppg drop-off is from regular season to post-season. Anyone know?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Kreider being abysmal is why Stepan's point totals are underwhelming imo.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Kreider being abysmal is why Stepan's point totals are underwhelming imo.

Not just Kreider. Having a reliable RW is also being a hindrance to Stepan.

As much as MSL was streaky last year during the regular season, he was somewhat reliable. But that came with the experience he had.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
What a pass to Zuke last night?

Step will get it going. Especially when Kreider gets it going. He's been playing a fine two way game, the points will come.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
What a pass to Zuke last night?

Step will get it going. Especially when Kreider gets it going. He's been playing a fine two way game, the points will come.

Once Kreider and [insert consistent RW] get going with scoring, Stepan will get going.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Stepan is monumentally important to this team, his absence has left a crater sized hole in the team.

My GF got me a Stepan heritage jersey for Christmas, dude better not get traded.

I bought her a Zuccarello heritage jersey as well.

NHL store in NYC is dope, I need to go there more often.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Stepan is important to this team but we sucked defensively before he went down. I think it's just a coincidence that more goals started flowing in when got injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad