Player Discussion Derek Stepan (C) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At this point they should waive Stepan.. Someone picks him up .. great.. save close to 2 million... No one picks him up. Play the "high character" guy and send him home with pay and an under the table kick back

Reactions: Icelevel

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I feel like Dorion always finds a way to surprise us; sometimes bad...ok mostly bad, but every once in a while he pulls off something that we did not expect it, but in a good way.

I have a feeling he is going to make up for this trade somehow, we will just have to wait and see.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I feel like Dorion always finds a way to surprise us; sometimes bad...ok mostly bad, but every once in a while he pulls off something that we did not expect it, but in a good way.
He already with the Coburn and Paquette trade, kind of

I have a feeling he is going to make up for this trade somehow, we will just have to wait and see.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
There are probably still people defending Pierre for making this trade, and they are the same people who think trading Brassard for Zibanejad (and a 2nd lol) was the key to that ‘17 ECF run
even though zibanejad had a better playoff. (and obviously better since and before)

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Yea the guy is just a black hole out there. GTFO and get to stepan.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Melnyk was thrilled to get 6.5 million against the cap with only paying 2 million cash. No need for further analysis. Dorion just viewed it as an opportunity to add a lot of dead money and get a 3rd line player.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
This whole situation along with Stepan switching his number and taking it from Logan Brown (a guy who the media and fanbase are campaigning for to get into the lineup), mid season, is truly baffling.

Im normally pretty "pro team", much to the ire of some here.. But paying a second round pick for a player that would arguably pass through waivers unclaimed - simply because hes "supposedly" a good mentor - and then having that player pout his" way out of town after a few weeks of hockey, is beyond embarrassing for Pierre.

Total f***ing failure on so many levels. Beyond it being obvious that Stepan was on a downward slope of no return before he got to Ottawa and that this was doing the Yotes a favour with the cap in reality. Its friggin disturbing that they didnt even talk it over with Stepan or have an real idea of what anyone was getting into before bringing him over (versus say Murray - who was already on board with the idea of the Sens pre trade).

They didnt even ask this older/fading, American player (thats living comfortably in semi-retirement on the Coyotes) from sunny Arizona and has a wife with a newborn child - if he even wanted leave his family in the middle of a global pandemic to come and play for Ottawa across a closed boarder in Canada???

Are you f***ing kidding me? Is this real? How oblivious can PD be to the circumstances? Or did Stepan change his mind after the fact?

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This whole situation along with Stepan switching his number and taking it from Logan Brown (a guy who the media and fanbase are campaigning for to get into the lineup), mid season, is truly baffling.

Im normally pretty "pro team", much to the ire of some here.. But paying a second round pick for a player that would arguably pass through waivers unclaimed - simply because hes "supposedly" a good mentor - and then having that player pout his" way out of town after a few weeks of hockey, is beyond embarrassing for Pierre.

Total f***ing failure on so many levels. Beyond it being obvious that Stepan was on a downward slope of no return before he got to Ottawa and that this was doing the Yotes a favour with the cap in reality. Its friggin disturbing that they didnt even talk it over with Stepan or have an real idea of what anyone was getting into before bringing him over (versus say Murray - who was already on board with the idea of the Sens pre trade).

Your saying they didnt even ask this older/fading, American player (thats living comfortably in semi-retirement on the Coyotes) from Arizona and has a wife and newborn child, in were the middle of a global pandemic - if he even wanted leave his family to come and play for Ottawa in Canada across an essentially closed boarder??

Are you f***ing kidding me? Is this real?

The trade itself even without knowing what happened in the last 2 weeks is extremely puzzling. We gave up a fairly high pick for a guy who had no trade value. We did Arizona a solid by grabbing Stepan in the first place and we gave them a good asset in return. It just makes no sense from a business perspective and then neither does it from a hockey perspective. I wasn't completely against the idea of adding him, but at the same time I thought we would get an asset in return given the Yotes cap situation and every team getting compensated to acquire high cap players.

You could hear from Stepan's comments right after the trade that it did seem like an issue with the newborn. Arizona had to trade Stepan and I don't think they really consulted him prior to the trade and it's likely Ottawa was one of the only teams that could fit him under the cap.

This trade goes to show just how bad our pro scouting really is. It's worrying that we still have the same personnel in place for the rebuild and forecasting what future moves we'll see from them.

Dorion is not a good GM, that's clear as day to me. You can be handcuffed all you want by Melnyk, but that doesn't force you to make idiotic moves.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
This trade goes to show just how bad our pro scouting really is. It's worrying that we still have the same personnel in place for the rebuild and forecasting what future moves we'll see from them.

Dorion is not a good GM, that's clear as day to me. You can be handcuffed all you want by Melnyk, but that doesn't force you to make idiotic moves.

While on the one hand I agree with you wholeheartedly.

On the other hand, we could fire PD tomorrow and hire a star GM and give him a Leafs sized hockey ops budget (just pretend Melnyk secretly owned a stake of Pfizer and was mega rich again or something) - and that GM could probably take this current team and crop of player/prospects to a championship level over the next 5 years.

I will give PD credit for that. Aside from Stuetzle, most of our best players/prospects were not no-brainer picks - we arent TOR/EDM/BUF that just get to take what the lottery gives us - and that needs to count for something for someone charged with building a team in a small market.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I also heard his family is located in Minnesota, so if the issue of being with his wife and newborn is what's driving him to want out, does this mean he thinks he can be traded magically to the Wild? He wouldn't be living with them even if he was in another American city, so I don't get what the reasoning behind this is at all. He obviously doesn't want to retire and lose the millions, yet he wants to be in one particular city?

Come on Derek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad