Value of: Derek Ryan (CGY)

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Apart from this season, Janko was trending to be a solid bottom 6 NHL'er. The Flames never really gave him talented players to line up with and I think his confidence cratered. With a new season and new coach and new system I can see him bouncing back.

We're keeping Ward though. What do you think will change?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
A 2nd is tempting but how bad would our bottom 6 be without him?

Damnit Jankowski, you were supposed to be something.

Honestly speaking, some of the stupid ideas we were kicking around was moving Ryan to 1RW, Lindholm to 2RW, Mangiapane to 3RW and rolling maybe something like:

Gaudreau - Monahan/Ryan
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Mangiapane/Dube - Bennett - Dube/Mangiapane
Lucic - Jankowski - X

I think Jankowski suffers similar things as Bennett in that somehow he, Bennett and Backlund are abysmal on wing and significantly better at C.

Ryan is a weird player. IMO he's a glue type of guy who can play with basically anyone. I'd actually want more of his types, not less.

Ryan has played with Gaudreau before and not looked out of place at all. I dunno if I'm dead set on trading him unless we get some serious top 6 winger upgrade and need to move his cap.

Apart from this season, Janko was trending to be a solid bottom 6 NHL'er. The Flames never really gave him talented players to line up with and I think his confidence cratered. With a new season and new coach and new system I can see him bouncing back.

Yes and no. He was really good with Mangiapane and Hathaway as a 4th line. One of the things I remember back then was that his offensive creativity was really damn good. IIRC, he and Hathaway alone were menaces on the PK and scored a bunch of short handed goals.

Playing wing, he keeps diverting to his team mates and passing rather than shooting.

Ward asks players how they want to play to be comfortable. If Jankowski is confident, plays C instead of wing and shoots, he might revive. He fixed Backlund and Bennett this way and got Dube and Mangiapane to explode this way as well. He even made Lucic serviceable.

He'd fail under Peters for sure, but under Ward, I think there's a good chance for Janko.

Reactions: Nanuuk

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
if a 2d is offered, might be wise to take it

the flat Cap may lead to a glut of middle/bottom 6 Fs in play for free or cheap ...

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Well that's a good question. I don't know really. Now that the interim title has been removed I imagine Ward will be a bit more empowered to make changes that he wouldn't have in a 'temporary' situation.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Well that's a good question. I don't know really. Now that the interim title has been removed I imagine Ward will be a bit more empowered to make changes that he wouldn't have in a 'temporary' situation.

If they finally commit to running Bennett at 3C with skill players maybe Jankowski can find some chemistry with Ryan. It would require getting another top 6 winger but my dream for next year is:

Mangiapane - Bennett - Dube
Janko - Ryan - Lucic

Probably the best bottom 6 we could come up with but Janko is clearly the odd man out. I don't want any of the 3rd line guys playing on the 4th.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
In terms of Janko, I'd say chances of him being qualified are almost zero. If he stays it's going to be at minimum salary imo. Will another team offer more?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Yeah, dunno about that. Bennett looks like a freed man playing away from Janko.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah, dunno about that. Bennett looks like a freed man playing away from Janko.
Yeah they weren't a fit. Maybe if Benny played centre and Janko LW. Put Mangi back on his left side and add a RW and he might come along.

Still the train may have left the station. His confidence is at an all time low and a fresh start with a new club might be in order. Fresh wingmen for sure.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah they weren't a fit. Maybe if Benny played centre and Janko LW. Put Mangi back on his left side and add a RW and he might come along.

Still the train may have left the station. His confidence is at an all time low and a fresh start with a new club might be in order. Fresh wingmen for sure.

Jankowski is really odd. He succeeds in ways where the average player fails and he fails at things that the average player succeeds. I can't tell if lots of the issues are all in his head, or if he's just not that good, because I've seen so much contradictory stuff out of him.

He languishes and struggles to put up points playing an offensive styled game, but flourishes and puts up tons of points in a ridiculously defensive heavy role (ie: PK with Hathaway and Mangiapane; shut down 4th line).

He seems slow at 5v5, but fricken fast enough to get short handed opportunities on the regular.

Very interestingly gifted offensive instincts if he's going to try and score himself (ie: Breakaway/shootout), but abysmal in utilizing his fellow players for scoring chances and seemingly barely capable of a good pass.

It's almost like he has an offense option or a defense option and the button is installed in reverse and he cannot combine the two. It's friggen bizarre.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Regardless of whether they sign Janko or not, Ryan is an expensive spare part. The Flames need the cap room and need to open up a spot for Gawdin or Phillips who are ready to graduate. Janko would provide a cheap option to play at 4C if Gawdin isn't ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad