Value of: Derek Ryan (CGY)

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
I am wondering what his value is around the league. He has 1 year left with a cap hit of 3.125MM.

Right handed Center. Excellent at FOs, PKer, and good possession metrics. Never seems to make the wrong play.

Flames could use the cap space and will want to try Sam Bennett at Center (3C) for a longer run to see if he can break out before his next contract like he did in the playoffs. Derek Ryan as the 4C is a luxury and waste.

Ideally it is Ryan for a pick in next months draft.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I don't know that I'd be trading him unless we absolutely were using that cap space (aka signing a big fish).

But yeah I think he's worth a 2nd

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
Definitely not a guy the Flames would trade to a division rival for a 2nd round pick, but they would be happy to trade him for a 2nd to the Eastern conference I’m sure if they have a few big fish cooking on the UFA market. (Markstrom, Hall...also need a RHD)

Reactions: KevinRedkey

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
Ya, he’s pretty legit. I just think the Flames need to give Bennett an honest chance at center (and not 4th line) before his contract expires and they need to sign or trade him. I think they owe it to Bennett as well.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I could actually see something based around Ryan and Larsson. Fills a need for both clubs and two expiring contracts.

Ledge And Dairy

Jankowski is your guy.

I could see Ryan being dealt actually strictly for cap reasons. But he’s an extremely useful player, I’m a fan.
Pretty much my thoughts, it never hurts to have too many centers. If Flames adapt the 11-7 strat then he seems like a great person to throw tkachuk or or Mangiapane on a line with for a shift. Really want to see Gawdin make the jump but I trust Ryan more

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
Would Oiler fans actually do Larsson for Ryan? I know Larsson has fallen quite a bit, but is he no longer a bonafide No3 or very good No4?

Ryan is from U of Alberta, so the roots are deep.

However, I don’t like the idea because he would literally fix your 3rd line.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I like Ryan a lot. He is a bit too small and a bit too expensive to be the 4C. And I'd like to see Bennett at C (or Dube) as a matter of succession planning. The Flames let Stajan take a spot (yeah I know he earned the spot) and hinder the development of upcoming C's.

So for me it is time to part with Doc and monetize his value.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
His value should be pretty high. He can play on your first line or your fourth line, in all 3 forward positions, and in all scenarios.

Since the 2019 ASG, he's led all Flames centers in 5v5 p/60 at 2.08. His most common 5v5 linemates over that time? Hathaway, Lucic, and Dube. Over that same time frame, he leads the Flames with a +28. 2nd on the team is Mangiapane at +14.

In the limited opportunities he's had to play with more talent (Gaudreau and Lindholm), he's produced at ~2.5 p/60.

His value should be quite high for any contender looking to add utility depth players that can contribute offensively. He's been arguably the Flames best center for the past 18 months.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I would really rather keep him, short of the cap space being direly needed elsewhere.

Great bang for buck, elevates his linemates, and can play nearly any role you ask.

Reactions: Kahvi

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It depends for me on what we end up doing with Monahan. If he stays, we can afford to trade Ryan. If he's being traded, we can't afford to lose him. Lindholm can slide to the middle if needed. I think Bennett starts the year as the 3C either way.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
His value should be pretty high. He can play on your first line or your fourth line, in all 3 forward positions, and in all scenarios.

Since the 2019 ASG, he's led all Flames centers in 5v5 p/60 at 2.08. His most common 5v5 linemates over that time? Hathaway, Lucic, and Dube. Over that same time frame, he leads the Flames with a +28. 2nd on the team is Mangiapane at +14.

In the limited opportunities he's had to play with more talent (Gaudreau and Lindholm), he's produced at ~2.5 p/60.

His value should be quite high for any contender looking to add utility depth players that can contribute offensively. He's been arguably the Flames best center for the past 18 months.

It really should be noted that Dube broke out this year playing with Ryan this year. Mangiapane broke out to some extent playing with Ryan last year. Hathaway looked dangerous playing with Ryan. Lucic started contributing when put on the line with Ryan. The Rieder-Ryan SH unit looked pretty good.

I was a bit disappointed in the playoffs that with Tkachuk out, and moving Lindholm to line 2, they didn't put Ryan with Monahan/Gaudreau.

People don't mention him that much, but he is great at making other players look good when they play with him. Not the kind of player you get rid of unless it is really helping your team in another area. Only reason to get rid of him is that he only has one year left on his deal and you maybe get assets while you can.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
A 2nd is tempting but how bad would our bottom 6 be without him?

Damnit Jankowski, you were supposed to be something.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
A 2nd is tempting but how bad would our bottom 6 be without him?

Damnit Jankowski, you were supposed to be something.
Apart from this season, Janko was trending to be a solid bottom 6 NHL'er. The Flames never really gave him talented players to line up with and I think his confidence cratered. With a new season and new coach and new system I can see him bouncing back.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad