OT: Derek Roy

thekenneth

Jan 25, 2013
Basically what chain said is true. There was a lot of unfounded hatred for roy floating around here due to our local media choosing him as a scapegoat ever since Briere and Drury left. He isn't really a number one center, but he can fill the role if necisary short term and not look too bad. Overall you guys have a guy who will thrive in a 2B or 3rd Center Role.

Van doesnt really have a stand out centre, burrows are centre 1.

roy should be top 2

No Face No Case

Feb 28, 2012
thats a big addition for Vancouver,

Sedin
Kesler
Roy
LaPierre

thats solid although i would like to swap out Yappierre for Bozak /Ott

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
soft, and a no show come playoff time...very happy he is not on our roster anymore

skibum

Jan 23, 2011
Don't believe all the haters. Roy is kind of a pretty boy, and that made him unpopular in Buffalo.

On the ice, however, he always played hard and was a consistent producer, year in and year out. He was constantly trying to make things happen on offense. Very good all-around puck skills, solid two-way game, and can play in all situations, including the PK. Aside from his big quad tendon tear, he was rarely injured. He is also known for having incredible stamina - he doesn't get gassed easily.

The cons are a lack of physicality and a tendency to hold onto the puck too long. Not amazing at face-offs either. Other than that, Roy should be a great asset to your team. He was HIGHLY under-appreciated in Buffalo.

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia
What went wrong with Derek Roy?

Around his last season it seemed like most of you guys wanted Roy out.

What went wrong here? I don't know much about Roy so any info would be great.

From his first game it looks likes he's pretty fast and he has very crisp passing with great vision. Then again, it's just one game. He's having a great game, actually.

But, what can I expect when Roy goes cold? (Presumably why BUF fans wanted him out?)

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
If your asking for opinions and not reasons to argue those reasons, you'll get plenty :laugh:

For me, he was too soft. Too much a perimeter player. Easily knocked off the puck. After years and years of this, it was just time to move on. For the Canucks playoff push, he'll be pretty good. Especially if he finds chemistry on a line.

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
Honestly, I didn't really care either way when he was traded from Buffalo. I think that a lot of people thought he was inconsistant, streaky, a diver stuff like that. I used to like him when he was first coming up, I think he was really good when he was surrounded by Briere, Drury, Campbell, but he's not good enough to really do much on his own and he wanted money like he thought he was. I think he could be an asset to another team when needs a skilled, crafty forward, but he didn't fit in to the way the sabres were going (or trying to go). Thats just my opinion, and I don't think I have the best hockey mind in Buffalo, but I do watch all the sabres games.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Asked, with the oft-injured Connolly, to carry the mail as a top-line center after Drury and Briere left. He seems like a solid, solid #2 who can play in all situations and compliment a team with an established #1 center. He didn't have that in Buffalo and he wasn't up to the task. The '09-'10 playoff ouster weighed heavily on many, he was basically a non-factor on the scoresheet and then didn't say the right things when they cleaned out their lockers. The following season, Kulikov put him out with a serious leg injury, he rehab'd and came back for a single playoff game against the Flyers (for which people ragged on him for not playing well). The injury some have talked about being a full year recovery, and he played regularly with a shoulder issue that Dallas had him fix surgically.

Good complimentary player, not the guy to lead a team however. Glad he's fit in well in limited action for the Canucks.

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
Quick, good motor going after the puck in the offensive zone. He has a good wrist shot which he is very good at getting off quickly and from different body angles. He's not necessarily a puck hog and he will pass, but he doesn't make the players around him better. He's a guy who can get you offense of his own accord. He's obviously capable on the PP but if you ask him to carry the puck up the ice you'll be disappointed by his decision making (tries to beat everyone). He showed to be a capable PK guy at points of his career.

I think he's a great fit for basically where you had Hodgson last season.

I like reading the post and seeing who I agree with the most. DING DING, this guy.....I was trying to remember the thing that really used to eat me alive about Roy, and this hit it on the nose. He always used to go through the entire opponents team, ESPECIALLY on the PP, and he made a lot of error's in judgement when he did pass because he tried a lot of saucer and drop passes, and low percentage passes, but they came with the excitement that if they ever did make it to the intended target, they looked really good. I think he dug himself into a grave in buffalo with his style of play, I think he's talented and he probably connected on really tough passes on a higher percentage of the time than most players, but it was the fact that he tried so many the annoyed me. BUT he had some exciting games, I think I remember a playoff game where he played out of his mind, and he used to be entertaining with Max Afinegenov when their low percentage, fancy plays would connect.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
soft, and a no show come playoff time...very happy he is not on our roster anymore

Thats actually not true. In a supporting role during the 2006 playoffs he was excellent (15pts in 18 games). I wouldn't be shocked if he does pretty well with the Nucks in a supporting role to their big guns

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Thats actually not true. In a supporting role during the 2006 playoffs he was excellent (15pts in 18 games). I wouldn't be shocked if he does pretty well with the Nucks in a supporting role to their big guns

He's obviously referring to the one awful postseason Roy had. I'm with you - nice addition for VAN where he won't be depended on, but can chip in.

And he was never, ever soft. Even in his poor play-type years.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Because i think people on this page may have more interest in seeing it and it not get lost in the other posts.

Karate Johnson*

He's obviously referring to the one awful postseason Roy had. I'm with you - nice addition for VAN where he won't be depended on, but can chip in.

And he was never, ever soft. Even in his poor play-type years.

He certainly wasn't a physical player. He wasn't a dig it out kind I guy.

Karate Johnson*

This type of thinking is part of the problem I have with Sabres fans.... Always living in the past with the guys from 05-07.

Who cares what anyone did in 2006? It's meaningless today. Our last two appearances where he was supposed to be the guy he no-showed.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Pros:
Good second line center that will quietly put up points. Can be used on the powerplay along the wall, not on the top unit. Good speed and shot. Decent two way player, not a Selke candidate, but not lost in his own zone. Decent on faceoffs. Can be used on the wing.

Cons:
Not the most dedicated player, has a history of being a party-boy and a locker room problem. Not any kind of real leader, won't fit in a role that expects him to carry a lot of weight. Prone to turnovers and trying to do too much.

He'll be good with Vancouver since they have established leadership and better top-end talent. Behind Sedin (and Kesler when he's back), Roy will thrive.

Completely agree with this, though I'm still not sure about the 'locker room cancer' thing. He really will thrive in Vancouver.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I think Roy's going to do great in a system where he's a #2 / #3 center and isn't looked to for leadership. Vancouver's probably a great fit for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad