OT: Derek Roy

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Soft, lazy, diver, highly skilled undersized center who is afraid to get in the dirty areas but will finish when given the opportunity for easy goals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
One of the better 2nd line Centers in the league, will do really good in Vancouver.

Should tear it up against weaker opponents, like he did back when we had Briere and Drury.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
One of the better 2nd line Centers in the league, will do really good in Vancouver.

Should tear it up against weaker opponents, like he did back when we had Briere and Drury.

And he can play wing as well. he had a nice run as Drury's winger in the 2006 playoffs.

He is a good support player for your roster.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Hello,

Canucks fan here, can a Sabres fan give me a scouting report on Derek Roy?

Good at putting up points at ES, but don't play him on your top PP unit as he makes undisciplined passes on the man advantage. After acquiring Hodgson and while with Dallas, he played a high amount of defensive-zone starts and put up good possession numbers in so doing.

Distilled, he'll very much help your team at ES, but don't expect much on the PP.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
He'll fill the role Hodgson should have been playing for all of last season. If you're lucky, Kesler will return healthy enough to not break down playing less than 22-26 minutes a night.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Folks lets stick to a hockey based breakdown of his game and stay away from his personal life.

If you hated Roy as a player then give the hockey reasons for it and why that will matter to the Nucks.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Pros:
Good second line center that will quietly put up points. Can be used on the powerplay along the wall, not on the top unit. Good speed and shot. Decent two way player, not a Selke candidate, but not lost in his own zone. Decent on faceoffs. Can be used on the wing.

Cons:
Not the most dedicated player, has a history of being a party-boy and a locker room problem. Not any kind of real leader, won't fit in a role that expects him to carry a lot of weight. Prone to turnovers and trying to do too much.

He'll be good with Vancouver since they have established leadership and better top-end talent. Behind Sedin (and Kesler when he's back), Roy will thrive.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
He will probably excel in a 2nd line center position behind Sedin. If he's your top line center going into the playoffs, you're in trouble, but I think he should do well in Vancouver. He's sound defensively and can play on the PK if needed, not great defensively but not a liability.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Pros:
Good second line center that will quietly put up points. Can be used on the powerplay along the wall, not on the top unit. Good speed and shot. Decent two way player, not a Selke candidate, but not lost in his own zone. Decent on faceoffs.

Cons:
Not the most dedicated player, has a history of being a party-boy and a locker room problem. Not any kind of real leader, won't fit in a role that expects him to carry a lot of weight. Prone to turnovers and trying to do too much.

He'll be good with Vancouver since they have established leadership and better top-end talent. Behind Sedin (and Kesler when he's back), Roy will thrive.

To the OP, the bolded is not confirmed and is comprised mostly of speculation and conjecture. Not a knock on you, Myllz, but the OP deserves to know so that he doesn't take that as gospel.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
You're not likely to receive unbiased answers here, and you're better off sifting through posts on your own board and on the main board to find some by Sabres fans. The Roy Haterz around here--and they've already arrived--find Roy threads like moths find flames.
This. The crowd Zip's talking about were also by and large the crowd that thought the Sabres would instantly become better simply by getting rid of Roy (addition by subtraction and all that noise).

Roy should be a great fit for you guys. He's a responsible defensive zone center with scoring and playmaking abilities, and he's going to have a legit top line center to take other team's top defenders away from him for the first time since Briere was here.

I got on the guy a lot the year or two after Briere/Drury left - I don't believe that he was ready for the responsibilty that the gaping hole the co-captions left presented him with, and for those years he was definitely immature. I think he's cleaned up his diving and whining over the last couple of seasons.

He won't help Vancouver's reputation for diving though, that's for sure (and I'm saying that as someone whose 2nd team is Vancouver) :laugh:

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
To the OP, the bolded is not confirmed and is comprised mostly of speculation and conjecture. Not a knock on you, Myllz, but the OP deserves to know so that he doesn't take that as gospel.

Yeah, that's basically just his rap sheet. If it's true or to what extent has never really been proven. Either way, I doubt it'll be a problem in Vancouver's room since Roy won't be looked at as any kind of leader.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Has anything ever been substantiated on Roy "being a locker room cancer"?

Seems to me something that was invented by the Roy haterz and somehow became gospel.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He's a good 2nd liner. He would not shine if, say, Sedin and Kesler were out and he needed to be the team's top center, but he'll do nicely in a secondary role, as long as the spot light's not on him. He's pretty good at faceoffs and capable of handling some tough defensive match-ups. He's a pretty soft player though, and won't help Vancouver shake its rep for being a team of divers.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Has anything ever been substantiated on Roy "being a locker room cancer"?

Seems to me something that was invented by the Roy haterz and somehow became gospel.

Well, we know he liked to party a lot and can guess that he may have been a bad influence on the young guys because of that, but no, none of us have any idea what the locker room was like.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Well, we know he liked to party a lot and can guess that he may have been a bad influence on the young guys because of that, but no, none of us have any idea what the locker room was like.

What? How can you guess that he's a bad influence because "he likes to party?"

Some guys like going out after work. Doesn't mean they aren't dedicated during the day :dunno:

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
What? How can you guess that he's a bad influence because "he likes to party?"

Some guys like going out after work. Doesn't mean they aren't dedicated during the day :dunno:

If he was good to have around, then why would we deal him for Steve Ott when we clearly lacked center depth? I think it's pretty clear he didn't fit the personalities that Pegula wanted to surround the team with and that's why he's not a Sabre right now.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If he was good to have around, then why would we deal him for Steve Ott when we clearly lacked center depth? I think it's pretty clear he didn't fit the personalities that Pegula wanted to surround the team with and that's why he's not a Sabre right now.

Misplaced faith in FES to become bona fide 2nd line. Belief that Grigorenko could contribute this season. Effort to improve "competitiveness" and "grit" on the roster.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Misplaced faith in FES to become bona fide 2nd line. Belief that Grigorenko could contribute this season. Effort to improve "competitiveness" and "grit" on the roster.
Not to mention the increasingly poisonous relationship between Roy and an increasingly larger section of the fanbase (including the WGR guys) after he struggled to produce last year after coming back from surgery.

It was time for him to move on. But that says more about the fanbase and "reporting" than it does Roy himself, IMO.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Quick, good motor going after the puck in the offensive zone. He has a good wrist shot which he is very good at getting off quickly and from different body angles. He's not necessarily a puck hog and he will pass, but he doesn't make the players around him better. He's a guy who can get you offense of his own accord. He's obviously capable on the PP but if you ask him to carry the puck up the ice you'll be disappointed by his decision making (tries to beat everyone). He showed to be a capable PK guy at points of his career.

I think he's a great fit for basically where you had Hodgson last season.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007

I agree that he did gamble on FES since even he admitted that, but at the time I believe the plan was for Grigorenko to play another year in juniors, I don't think that changed until training camp.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Roy in a support role behind Sedin and Kesler should be an asset. He's filled mismatch roles with some success before when in Buffalo, but when cast as a primary, had some issues getting it done.

Zip's pointed out the possession numbers -- he took over as the d-zone starter when Buffalo acquired Hodgson since neither Cody or Tyler Ennis were (or are) ready to handle that role and did well at it. That should assist with keeping the Sedins with O-zone starts and support Kesler. He's a pretty good PKer in terms of getting into passing lanes and disrupting plays with his stick, has enough offensive skill to fit on the Vancouver 2nd PP.

He will not sell out to block shots or give up his body -- he plays more of a classic small-man's game than not -- but he's crafty enough with his stick and quick enough to be slipper. Prior to his leg injury, he was a bit elusive and able to slip checkers. He's lost a little of that from what I can see, but he's still able to get away from slower guys.

I expect he'll do well for Vancouver. He's not the player he once was, but he's still got skills. And let's not forget he gets to go to a contender when he's UFA -- inspiration and perspiration may follow.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Basically what chain said is true. There was a lot of unfounded hatred for roy floating around here due to our local media choosing him as a scapegoat ever since Briere and Drury left. He isn't really a number one center, but he can fill the role if necisary short term and not look too bad. Overall you guys have a guy who will thrive in a 2B or 3rd Center Role.

thekenneth

Jan 25, 2013
good speed, and a good play maker.
he is known as a diver though that was more when he was younger.

canucks are smart getting him as a rental. he averaged close to a point a game in dallas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad