Derek Roy has been invisible as a Canuck

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Cut out losses and walk away.

I don't know what a GM is supposed to do in this situation. ****** to think it would've been better worth our time to make no deadline move.

But Roy was the only center available and we needed one bad...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Roy won't be back, Raymond neither. Lousy trade, lost our second in a really deep draft and one of our better D prospects for a couple months of a guy who didn't do much. I didn't like this trade, never liked this trade, everyone said I was stupid but I said Gillis was doubling down on 12. Y'all laughed at me and said Roy was exactly what we needed, but what we really needed was to stand pat and keep our picks and prospects.

I didn't laugh at you. I was appalled by the trade. Roy is so wrong for a playoff run it makes me think Gillis doesn't get it!

I know he had to do something. He couldn't go into the playoffs with three centers. What he said at the season closer press conference was revealing. He mentioned that Roy was all that was available to him. This means the vast bulk of teams wouldn't make players available to him or the players didn't want to come here. Lots of guys moved, too, just not to Vancouver.

What really puzzles me is that Gillis, by trading away the pick precluded any offer sheets. So, if somebody snipes Tanev with a five million dollar offer sheet, Gillis can't retaliate. He needs the second pick to compensate for any offer over three million. I know he will take Tanev to arbitration, but it's still an odd move.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I didn't laugh at you. I was appalled by the trade. Roy is so wrong for a playoff run it makes me think Gillis doesn't get it!

I know he had to do something. He couldn't go into the playoffs with three centers. What he said at the season closer press conference was revealing. He mentioned that Roy was all that was available to him. This means the vast bulk of teams wouldn't make players available to him or the players didn't want to come here. Lots of guys moved, too, just not to Vancouver.

What really puzzles me is that Gillis, by trading away the pick precluded any offer sheets. So, if somebody snipes Tanev with a five million dollar offer sheet, Gillis can't retaliate. He needs the second pick to compensate for any offer over three million. I know he will take Tanev to arbitration, but it's still an odd move.

1. That is not how I interpreted that myself

2. I do not want MG to make an offersheet for a player out of spite, only if it is best for the team, also the team the burns 5 mill on Tanev would have to have there own RFA that we could do that to, its just not worth holding up a trade for something so childish

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Roy was a good pickup of our deadline moves didn't start and end with him. Like I said, we needed a lot more than just Derek Roy. Gillis didn't do anything else, and now it looks like he wasted assets (like I said back on trade deadline day).

arsmaster*

1. That is not how I interpreted that myself

2. I do not want MG to make an offersheet for a player out of spite, only if it is best for the team, also the team the burns 5 mill on Tanev would have to have there own RFA that we could do that to, its just not worth holding up a trade for something so childish

Junior Nelson continually shows himself as uninformed. Not worth responding to.

The 2013 picks have nothing to do with offersheets...they'd need a 2014 2nd. Point is moot anyways, nobody is paying Tanev that kind of money....NOBODY.

Not that many guys moved!! Gillis even said many of his targets stayed with their teams.

He also didn't pay the prices for guys like CLowe and Torres, and frankly I'm glad. We weren't primed to win this year anyways.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Jnobody is paying Tanev that kind of money....NOBODY.
What did the Habs give PK Subban on his "bridge deal"? $2.9 million? I think he's a bit overrated but still, at these stages in both their careers (time Subban signed his deal) - PK Subban > Tanev.

I agree, Tanev won't get anywhere near $5 million.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

I get that you're using hyperbole to make a point but this scenario is "out there". If someone gives a $5M offer sheet to Tanev, Gillis would giggle like a school girl, calm down, then offer to drive Tanev to the airport.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Tanev will get 5 million.

Over 3 years.

Roy would be a great fit in Toronto. They should let Bozak walk and sign Roy to play with Kessel.

King of the ES*

Roy was a good pickup of our deadline moves didn't start and end with him. Like I said, we needed a lot more than just Derek Roy. Gillis didn't do anything else, and now it looks like he wasted assets (like I said back on trade deadline day).

What I said when it happened was that he's a pretty good player, but that the Canucks were not a good fit.

And that appears to have been accurate. Clearly he won't/shouldn't be brought back.

King of the ES*

I get that you're using hyperbole to make a point but this scenario is "out there". If someone gives a $5M offer sheet to Tanev, Gillis would giggle like a school girl, calm down, then offer to drive Tanev to the airport.

This is exactly why I'm in favor of trading Tanev. The fact that this is even a discussion is pretty laughable. Tanev's shown that he's good at not making glaring errors, which is fine, but he is getting into seriously overvalued territory.

Not screwing up is a lot different than being a difference-maker. Tanev hasn't really shown me anything to believe that he's anything more than a bottom-pairing NHL defenceman. If people are really this high on him, now's the time to make a trade.

Nov 1, 2011

I think Roy was good enough. Our problem was that we too a million penalties and have up half a million PP goals.

We win game 1 and 4 if it wasn't for "interesting" penalties and game 2 if we could hit an open net or if Sedins + Burrows + Edler + Bieksa knew how to kill off a game with a minute left and a 1 goal lead.

Personnel wasn't a major issue IMO.

freakydave

Feb 10, 2004
otp.phpbbweb.com
This is exactly why I'm in favor of trading Tanev. The fact that this is even a discussion is pretty laughable. Tanev's shown that he's good at not making glaring errors, which is fine, but he is getting into seriously overvalued territory.

Not screwing up is a lot different than being a difference-maker. Tanev hasn't really shown me anything to believe that he's anything more than a bottom-pairing NHL defenceman. If people are really this high on him, now's the time to make a trade.
+1
Tanev played well as a bottom pairing guy & sometimes seemed to raise the level of his partner but it was only a shortened season & not playing badly
(40+ games) isn't the same as being a game breaker.
5.5 million don't make me laugh

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
Derek roy should be ashamed of how he played. Hopefully he loses out on millions because of his play.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

You're in favour if trading Tanev because of a hypothetical scenario that won't happen? That's odd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad