Confirmed with Link: Derek Laxdal named AHL Texas Stars' Head Coach

Oct 15, 2008
Laxdall was getting what he was getting out of teenagers. Lets see if he gets the same results out of adults in Texas. Eakins took the Marlies to the AHL finals, you know.

Trust me, it's a totally different game getting results out of adults than it is teenagers.

Eakins has had one season as an NHL coach. With a **** roster, thanks to Tambellini. Lets not jump to conclusions, maybe.

Ken Hitchcock used to coach Midget.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
The Oil Kings are owned by the Oilers, the Stars needed permission to talk to Laxdal.

You usually have to ask anyone for permission to talk to an employee under contract. The Blades hired the Ducks assistant coach to be their HC/GM. Do you think they just talked to him without asking the Ducks if that was okay? It's standard procedure.

The Oil Kings are owned by the Oilers, but they're not the same system as the Oilers. If they were, every single player that played for the Oil Kings would be Oilers property. Which they're not.

Laxdal wasn't in the Oilers system. He was in the Oil Kings system, which is a different entity.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Mike Babcock used to coach CIS hockey...? Yes, I realize that every coach has to start somewhere but you can't tell me that coaching juniors in the WHL is the same as coaching professional hockey players in the AHL.

Alright, so we'll never get excited about any talented coaches because they all started in a lower league.

Oct 15, 2008
Mike Babcock used to coach CIS hockey...? Yes, I realize that every coach has to start somewhere but you can't tell me that coaching juniors in the WHL is the same as coaching professional hockey players in the AHL.

I told you no such thing. You seemed to infer that his success means nothing because he was coaching kids. There's clearly examples of coaches who have been successful at every level they have been at. Hitchcock is one of those. Laxdall could well be another. Writing him off because he was coaching "kids" is baseless.

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
You usually have to ask anyone for permission to talk to an employee under contract. The Blades hired the Ducks assistant coach to be their HC/GM. Do you think they just talked to him without asking the Ducks if that was okay? It's standard procedure.

The Oil Kings are owned by the Oilers, but they're not the same system as the Oilers. If they were, every single player that played for the Oil Kings would be Oilers property. Which they're not.

Laxdal wasn't in the Oilers system. He was in the Oil Kings system, which is a different entity.[/QUOTE]

Technically the Oil Kings is not in the Oilers system BUT they are under the same umbrella corporation and that is Rexall Sports which is owned by Katz. Essentially, Rexall Sports could choose to hire Laxdal to work in the Oilers system in some capacity (if they choose).

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon

Laxdal wasn't in the Oilers system. He was in the Oil Kings system, which is a different entity.[/QUOTE]

Technically the Oil Kings is not in the Oilers system BUT they are under the same umbrella corporation and that is Rexall Sports which is owned by Katz. Essentially, Rexall Sports could choose to hire Laxdal to work in the Oilers system in some capacity (if they choose).

Indeed.

Employed by an organization owned by the Oilers, but not in the Oilers system. It would've made it easy for them to hire him, sure.

It's moot anyways. Laxdal is in Texas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad