Confirmed with Link: Derek Laxdal named AHL Texas Stars' Head Coach

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Per Texas Stars Hockey Twitter (retweeted by Elliotte Friedman):

Derek Laxdal appointed new head coach of the #txstars.

https://twitter.com/TexasStars
http://www.texasstarshockey.com/
http://www.oilkings.ca/article/laxdal-hired-by-texas-stars
http://www.texasstarshockey.com/articles/stars-announce-fourth-head-coach-in-team-history

xlaxdall_web_final.jpg.pagespeed.ic.vXYTCXqmCx.webp

Derek's replacing a pretty-good coach himself in Willie Dejardins who just signed on with the Canucks. Now I know he might not have the success Willie did with Texas but if he continues with what he did with the Oil Kings he may land himself an NHL gig in the near future.

Questions aboud now:

Who will coach the Oil Kings?
Can he top the performance Willie Dejardins did with Texas (is that even possible)?
Would he be/do better than Todd Nelson currently is doing with OKC?
Why didn't he sign on with the Oilers coaching staff?

All questions for you guys to answer but best of luck to Derek in Texas, he sure did a bang up job in EDM.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Damn. Was hoping to keep him in the Oilers system. I think I'm a bigger fan of Laxdal than Nelson.

Anyways, congrats to Laxdal, he deserves it.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
This guy is a better coach than our minor league coach, our former twin towers assistants and more than likely with a couple years of seasoning better than our head coach.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Good luck Derek. Well earned!
But seriously, I'm beginning to hate Dallas again

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Last Stars game I went to there was a smoking hot blonde next to me wearing a giant "**** Dallas" button. Good to see the hatred still runs deep. :laugh:

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
This guy is a better coach than our minor league coach, our former twin towers assistants and more than likely with a couple years of seasoning better than our head coach.

talk to anyone in the oil kings circle and you will hear that Hamilton is the star in the making. had huge influence with that bunch.

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
Damn. Was hoping to keep him in the Oilers system. I think I'm a bigger fan of Laxdal than Nelson.

Anyways, congrats to Laxdal, he deserves it.

I agree with the both of you. I wished the Oilers could have hired him to work in some capacity within the org and perhaps moving up to be a head coach someday. Oilers missed a chance to sign him. Besides having exceptional coaching skills, he does have an eye for placing players in position of strength to develop (and win).

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
I agree with the both of you. I wished the Oilers could have hired him to work in some capacity within the org and perhaps moving up to be a head coach someday. Oilers missed a chance to sign him. Besides having exceptional coaching skills, he does have an eye for placing players in position of strength to develop (and win).

If Laxdal wants the head coaching job and nothing else. So, what can you say?

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51

Forget the couple of years seasoning, Laxdal is almost certainly a better coach than Eakins right now. Big loss for the Oil Kings but good opportunity for Laxdal. Wish him well.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Congrats to him. It's unfortunate we couldn't do something to keep him in the system.

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
Lets stop drinking that Oil Kings kool-aid, shall we?

No kool-aid needed, Laxdal is flat out better, gets the max out of his players whilst putting them in positions to succeed. Eakins meanwhile is a train wreck, the Oilers will go nowhere with him as HC. Sadly Mac-T is too stubborn to correct his biggest mistake as GM.

.. And no I was not suggesting replacing Eakins with Laxdal.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
No kool-aid needed, Laxdal is flat out better, gets the max out of his players whilst putting them in positions to succeed. Eakins meanwhile is a train wreck, the Oilers will go nowhere with him as HC. Sadly Mac-T is too stubborn to correct his biggest mistake as GM.

.. And no I was not suggesting replacing Eakins with Laxdal.

Laxdall was getting what he was getting out of teenagers. Lets see if he gets the same results out of adults in Texas. Eakins took the Marlies to the AHL finals, you know.

Trust me, it's a totally different game getting results out of adults than it is teenagers.

Eakins has had one season as an NHL coach. With a **** roster, thanks to Tambellini. Lets not jump to conclusions, maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad