Recalled/Assigned: Derek Joslin called up

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Haha, I guess I'm probably the only guy around who has been fine with Cam Barkers play. Sure he's got holes in his game but find me a #8 dman making barely above minimim that doesn't. Sure I'd love to have Chris Pronger in his prime waiting in the wings but its not realistic.

I expected less than nothing from Barker, but he's exceeded my expectations. Has good poise and decent decisuion making with the puck. Better positionally amd with his stick in his own zone, and finishes more checks than I thought he would. I agree he can play soft in front of his own goal and isn't terribly fleet of foot, but he's been fine in the role he's in.

As for Joslin, we're one more injury or flu from needing him in the lineup. Makes sense to at least call him up and maybe play him just in case we need him. We aren't likely moving anywhere in the standings so let's see what he's gotr.

I also have a theory that Gillis tries to get these bubble AHL depth guys some NHL paycheques to help with future recruits. As much as we. ***** about guys like Ebbett, Barker, and Joslin, if there's not a bushel of waiver free options, you need these cheap depth guys that can pass through waivers and bring the right attitude to the farm. Getting Joslin a bigger cheque or two might help the next guy sign with us to provide depth.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Can we put him on D if he's not starting? Has a pretty hard shot, for a goalie. Rather have him than Joslin....

Feb1013_superskills14_slide.jpg

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
could you imagine if AV benches Ballard for Barker and Joslin? lol

Ebbett and Joslin/Barker for Ballard/Schroeder going into the playoffs!!

hahaaha you all know that's a real possibility.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
could you imagine if AV benches Ballard for Barker and Joslin? lol

Ebbett and Joslin/Barker for Ballard/Schroeder going into the playoffs!!

hahaaha you all know that's a real possibility.

i loved the intensity that ballard demonstrated last night, then i looked at the stat sheet and realized he was so entertaining because he had a mind-blowing game-worst corsi rating of -22 for the game

still better than barker though

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Wait, why are we wasting a call up on Joslin and not Schroeder?

Probably because AV/Gillis know what they're getting with Schroeder and Joslin needs a look at the NHL level.

We'll probably see JS in a bottom 6 role after the season ends. I hope Joslin is better than Barker.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I am better then barker. But I think joslin is part time call up, I think the canucks wanna give corrado a couple more games, and he will get called up.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Wait, why are we wasting a call up on Joslin and not Schroeder?

I saw an interesting article on Canucksarmy:

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/4/17/canucks-call-up-derek-joslin

Gilman said:
We have lots of cap-space right now, there are no roster limitiations, so we thought why not bring this guy up? He's playing for Worcester, Worcester is not going to make the playoffs so we weren't going to be screwing our partners anywhere. We were going to bring him up as a depth guy so we figured why not do it now?"

Canucksarmy said:
What's relevant about that part of Gilman's answer for our purposes? His admission that "screwing our partners" is a consideration in these types of late season roster moves. You think that might explain why Andrew Ebbett remains in the lineup while Jordan Schroeder stays put in Chicago as the Wolves scramble to keep their playoff hopes alive?

JA

Who the **** is Derek Joslin?

I recall most fans were complaining about Joslin even in the televised Wolves games this past lockout. Many identified him as the worst defenseman on the ice in the games we saw.

It's going to be a rough ride for him.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
i loved the intensity that ballard demonstrated last night, then i looked at the stat sheet and realized he was so entertaining because he had a mind-blowing game-worst corsi rating of -22 for the game

still better than barker though

Wasn't that likely due to him being on ice when ebbett line was out against backes? The backes line completely hemmed us in our zone a majority of the game and I thought ballard was out for a lot of those shifts.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad