Derek Dorsett's Impact

arsmaster*

Everytime I see this thread pop up I think: negligible if the title is a question.

Eye Test Approved

@London_the_Hobo
Sep 15, 2014
Everytime I see this thread pop up I think: negligible if the title is a question.

He might have a significant negative impact, if a guy like grenier turns into a "ferland-type player", bennings #1 priority, and we then have to sign him to a ridiculous contract because dorsett has one

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
So now that Kassian got traded for scraps and Dorsett basically thanking the Benning after. Can we assert that Dorsett is not the type of role model we want to have around our young guys?

Not only did he play bad last season, he also didn't rub elbows well enough to help develop Kassian. Can I declare Dorsett's tenure in Vancouver a failure already? We brought him in to do a job which he botched. Then goes on social media thanking the organization for getting rid of his problem.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
So now that Kassian got traded for scraps and Dorsett basically thanking the Benning after. Can we assert that Dorsett is not the type of role model we want to have around our young guys?

Not only did he play bad last season, he also didn't rub elbows well enough to help develop Kassian. Can I declare Dorsett's tenure in Vancouver a failure already? We brought him in to do a job which he botched. Then goes on social media thanking the organization for getting rid of his problem.

Dorsett thanked Benning for getting Prust, not getting rid of Kassian. Maybe Dorsett just likes Prust.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Dorsett thanked Benning for getting Prust, not getting rid of Kassian. Maybe Dorsett just likes Prust.

Dorsett was Kassian's "mentor" they were supposed to be buddy buddy. You don't thank the GM that got rid of your buddy.

Makes no sense. Unless, Dorsett was thanking Benning for getting rid of Kassian.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

He thanked Benning for acquiring Prust because:

1) I think Dorsett and Prust are friends.

2) There will be someone else on the team that can play the enforcer role instead of Dorsett having to fight everyone regardless of the size of his opponent.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Anyway, my main point wasn't about Dorsett thanking what ever.

I have a different interpretation I guess.

My point is that Dorsett completely failed at mentoring Kassian.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Anyway, my main point wasn't about Dorsett thanking what ever.

I have a different interpretation I guess.

I'm sure Dorsett wasn't the only one trying to help Kassian. I'm guessing the Sedins, Bieksa and Linden (and others) gave it a try, too.

Blaming Dorsett for Kassian's off-ice issues is ridiculous.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Regardless of what Dorsett was thanking his GM for the optics dont look good.

But then again Dorsett aint building rockets in his basement.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I'm sure Dorsett wasn't the only one trying to help Kassian. I'm guessing the Sedins, Bieksa and Linden (and others) gave it a try, too.

Blaming Dorsett for Kassian's off-ice issues is ridiculous.

Giving credit to Dorsett for having all the intangibles would be equally ridiculous.

If Sedins, Bieksa, Linden, Hansen, Hamhuis, Burrows all helped out with Kassian. My question would be, why is Dorsett even here? He is a bad hockey player that's only reason is for Intangibles which he isn't accountable for.

He's a needles addition to the team. A boat anchor possession wise, apparently not responsible for anything to do with being a mentor, and is getting paid 2.64 million dollars.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Giving credit to Dorsett for having all the intangibles would be equally ridiculous.

If Sedins, Bieksa, Linden, Hansen, Hamhuis, Burrows all helped out with Kassian. My question would be, why is Dorsett even here? He is a bad hockey player that's only reason is for Intangibles which he isn't accountable for.

Dorsetts a guy people love to make excuses for. Because he runs around alot appearing to accomplish a lot.

Reminds of the advert on 1040 for the sales training company where the guys says something like "work effectively not just harder".

Dorsett is definitely not in the "work smarter" category.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Dorsetts a guy people love to make excuses for. Because he runs around alot appearing to accomplish a lot.

Reminds of the advert on 1040 for the sales training company where the guys says something like "work effectively not just harder".

Dorsett is definitely not in the "work smarter" category.

I agree.

All these goons get made excuses for when people bring up they can't really play hockey. "Intangibles this, intangibles that" But then they at the same time aren't held accountable when their mentor ship doesn't work.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

He's a needles addition to the team. A boat anchor possession wise, apparently not responsible for anything to do with being a mentor, and is getting paid 2.64 million dollars.

I never read much about Dorsett and Kassian. There was a lot of talk about Dorsett mentoring Horvat, however.

If you think Dorsett is a bad player, useless for our team and isn't valuable in general that's fine but saying this:

is completely unfair. I don't know what Kassian's issues were (if he had any at all) but, again, blaming Dorsett for not fixing those issues is ridiculous.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I never read much about Dorsett and Kassian. There was a lot of talk about Dorsett mentoring Horvat, however.

If you think Dorsett is a bad player, useless for our team and isn't valuable in general that's fine but saying this:

is completely unfair. I don't know what Kassian's issues were (if he had any at all) but, again, blaming Dorsett for not fixing those issues is ridiculous.

You know you're right. :laugh:

I am just frustrated with all the trades. Sorry to take it out on you.

I still don't like Dorsett though....

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Regardless of what Dorsett was thanking his GM for the optics dont look good.

But then again Dorsett aint building rockets in his basement.

What optics....simply ridiculous to think it looks like anything other then our tough guy thanking the gm for help...

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
No reason to hate on Dorsett. Dumb thing to report on, but there's nothing there to complain about.

That being said, where are all these contracts that were supposed to make Dorsett and Sbisa 'market value'?

Beleskey 5x3.8M
Winnik 2 x 2.25M
Letestu 3 x 1.8M
Downie 1 x 1.75M
Campbell 2 x 1.5M
Desjardins, 2 x 800k

Michalek, 2x3.2M
Brendan Smith, 2x2.75M
John Moore, 1.6M.
Hunwick 2x1.2M
Diaz, 700k.

I'd personally put Dorsett somewhere in the 1.5-2.25M range, and Sbisa... probably in the same range as John Moore.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
What optics....simply ridiculous to think it looks like anything other then our tough guy thanking the gm for help...

Hey now here I thought we were supposed to be accepting of other opinions and not getting personal and nasty and you just called my opinion ridiculous.

Do as I say eh?

Now back on topic.

One would think as a person is being shipped out thanking the GM for the move might not be the most "considerate" thing.

But like I said Dorsett aint building rockets.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
No reason to hate on Dorsett. Dumb thing to report on, but there's nothing there to complain about.

That being said, where are all these contracts that were supposed to make Dorsett and Sbisa 'market value'?

Beleskey 5x3.8M
Winnik 2 x 2.25M
Letestu 3 x 1.8M
Downie 1 x 1.75M
Campbell 2 x 1.5M
Desjardins, 2 x 800k

Michalek, 2x3.2M
Brendan Smith, 2x2.75M
John Moore, 1.6M.
Hunwick 2x1.2M
Diaz, 700k.

I'd personally put Dorsett somewhere in the 1.5-2.25M range, and Sbisa... probably in the same range as John Moore.

The problem with Dorsett is hes not all that good of a player. But the real issue that some fans need to perform mental gymnastics to justify his over play and his over pay.

This is for a guy who made like Houdini in the playoffs. A place where his supposed "leadership" should have shone. And in a physical series where the Canucks were getting out muscled no less.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's just a garbage player.

Can tread water in the regular season by out working everyone, but as soon as the playoffs hit and everyone is working 110% he's exposed as an AHL talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad