Derek Dorsett's Impact

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
If it comes down to him vs Richardson, I pick Richardson. I'd be happy with both back next year, but they need to be 1.5m or less, or we might as well go with youth.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
original.gif

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
It's a good thing he had a good game, or else this would be a misplaced article. Willie has unquestionably been overusing the guy. If his biggest merits are off the ice, then don't pile on the ice time. I get that he is being rewarded, but we need to be winning games here.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I can see Dorett getting a Brandon Prust like contract. 10 million over 4 years, maybe not the term but the $2.5 cap hit. I do not want the Canucks to pay that but somebody will.

I'm happy with Dorsett with 10 to 12 minutes when he gets to play on the rightwing, playing 14/15 minutes on the left hasn't been ideal for him. I like certain elements he brings to a team but there isn't a fit for him on the Canucks as an everyday player going into next season. He is better than and will cost more than a 13th forward should.

arsmaster*

I like Dorsett. I don't like how much he plays.

He's not a 3rd liner. He works best how AV used him. The 12/13th forward.

He gets favourable treatment. He's above reproach.

Dale Weise was a better player and he'll be half the price.

To his credit. He understands his own limitations. We all just wish the coach did.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
**** Kesler on the cheapshot at Dorsett. Let's see how that guy plays if he received the same treatment.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Great move by Benning, very good role model for the young guys on our team.

Makes up for lack of talent by being a true heart and soul guy.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I like Dorsett. I don't like how much he plays.

He's not a 3rd liner. He works best how AV used him. The 12/13th forward.

He gets favourable treatment. He's above reproach.

Dale Weise was a better player and he'll be half the price.

To his credit. He understands his own limitations. We all just wish the coach did.

I agree, but I like Dorsett more than Weise because of those character reasons. I don't want Weise back ever. Dorsett, I want back if the price is right.

My sentiment is the same as Lph. This guy might get over 2m, which is way too much if you ask me.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I really don't get why so many on this board sided with Torts about Weise thinking he's too good for his role or whatever. This is a guy who burned bridges with a ton of players on this team (Edler and Hansen especially).

Weise is one of the best fourth liners in the league and I very much doubt the alleged attitude problems.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I'll take Dorsett 10/10 times just for his impact on the rookies.

Play him less and he's a great 4th liner.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
I really don't get why so many on this board sided with Torts about Weise thinking he's too good for his role or whatever. This is a guy who burned bridges with a ton of players on this team (Edler and Hansen especially).

Weise is one of the best fourth liners in the league and I very much doubt the alleged attitude problems.

Yup. He's putting up third line numbers this year and last year played well. Was a good underrated pickup my MG, too bad he was forced to trade him away.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I think many wanted Weise to stick up for his teammates and play tougher though that is not his game. With Kassian, Vrbata, Burrows and Hansen on the right, there isn't real room for either and would be miscast on the leftwing. The Horvat line has somewhat out grown having a Dorsett on it as it is no longer a sheltered line. Kenins is the better fit from being a natural leftwing while bringing the physicality of Dorsett (minus the fighting) and the skating and offense of Weise.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I think Weise fought enough considering that wasn't his specialty. Haven't forgotten Don Cherry calling him out for ducking when it really was a cheap move by Thornton (Scott) to make him look bad.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Benning signed him to "change the culture of the team". guaranteed they will resign him. management is in love with the guy.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If it comes down to Richardson or Dorsett, you pick Richardson and let Dorsett walk and keep Kenins in the lineup as a Dorsett replacement. Dorsett already has a career high in points, and he could very well hit 30 points. He'll get paid, and I hope it's not with us.

arsmaster*

Teams that win the cup have players like this making close to be league minimum. Not $2m+.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad