Derek Dorsett's Career Over

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
That's really too bad. He was a great energy guy for the Canucks and gutted it out the past two years playing with a herniated disc. He got lots of hate for his contract but at the end of the day he provided an element that no one else could on the Canucks - and score a bit as well.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'll miss him.

Good luck with everything, Mr. Dorsett

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Dorsett was my favorite jacket ever. He was the type of guy we formed our blue collar style with before we gained the skill we have today. I'll never forget the time he tried to basically jump John Scott and Scott all but laughed at him before beating Dorsetts ass BUT the fact that he even went to do it in a game where they needed someone to give them a spark and the team had bigger guys like Boll and other guys but Dorsett waited to find the biggest guy and challenge him like a prison fight haha. f***ing great guy I hope the jackets swallow him up and use him as a TV guy or a coach for the monsters or something like that. Will miss you out there Dorsett.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
When some players join a new team, it can take up to a full season until it feels like they're part of it. With Dorsett it took, what, maybe ten games?

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
The weird irony is that, up until his 20 games this season, Derek was one of the least liked Canucks amongst the fanbase (of course, we know now that is because he was playing hurt the whole time, and it brought his play down), but he was easily one of the MOST popular Canucks this season. It's like.... in the last minute in his career, he somehow brought the whole fanbase around to love him -- and now he's done. This blows.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Sucks a true warrior. One of the last true tough guys in hockey. Unfortunately with the way the game is going I'll continue to watch less and less hockey. I use to watch every game I could now I scroll through just blackhawks games I record because I watch something else live. Sucks but it's because the product they have put on the ice. But anyway hate to see a guy like Dorsett have to retire.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I hope the Canucks bring him on in some sort of development role. Horvat has specifically credited Dorsett for showing him how hard you have to work + the right ethic to crack it in the NHL.

We’ve bemoaned the contract but at least he gets to go out on the highest note possible.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It always sucks to see a guy have to retire because of injuries but tough to feel bad for a guy that was such a dirty POS in junior and the NHL.

He never met a smaller guy he wouldn't fight or a bigger guy he wouldn't run from. At least guys in the league can breath a little easier knowing they wouldn't have this d-bag around to run them from behind.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
For some reason I remember Dorsett and Benn taking some healthy runs at each other while the former was in C-bus.

Could be confusing him with Boll.

Anyways, happy trails.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
It always sucks to see a guy have to retire because of injuries but tough to feel bad for a guy that was such a dirty POS in junior and the NHL.

He never met a smaller guy he wouldn't fight or a bigger guy he wouldn't run from. At least guys in the league can breath a little easier knowing they wouldn't have this d-bag around to run them from behind.
Totally wrong, but haters gonna hate, I suppose.
What's that old saying? If you've nothing good to say then it's better to say nothing?

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Sure you've got the right guy there Baxterman?

Y'know, personally if I felt that way about a player I'd stay out of his retirement thread, but "you've gotta be you" right?

Reactions: thepuckmonster

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Sucks he can't play (and it ruined is 30 goal pace!!!) but far better they caught this now before he got hit too hard and suffered a spinal injury that's even worse.

Wish him the best, he wen't out with a great start to this year.

Dirtfloor

Oct 12, 2016
Love this guy. Heart and soul type of player. I hope he figures out some way to still be prosperous in whatever he decides to do in the future.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Guy was beasting this year looked great on the PK and a lot of hustle was hoping he would put up 20 goals this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad