Player Discussion Derek Dorsett: Best of luck in life.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Apparently the whole point.
And I PM'd you about how it wasn't about the thread title. Missed that as well.

Fair enough. I’ll leave it be then. Your post read like it was about the title but I can see how that was a bit of a leap on my part. Carry on.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
If he can keep this up he’ll be one of the most valuable bottom 6 grinders in the league. Would love to trade him after Xmas.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If he can keep this up he’ll be one of the most valuable bottom 6 grinders in the league. Would love to trade him after Xmas.

Agreed. He would be a great fit for a playoff bound team. If Ryan Reaves can get you the 31st overall pick, Dorsett could get a 2nd round pick.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He’s had a couple good games and has been seriously lucky with his goal scoring. Nice story but he’s still an average fourth liner at best.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He’s had a couple good games and has been seriously lucky with his goal scoring. Nice story but he’s still an average fourth liner at best.

Looking around the league... he's clearly an above average 4th liner.

I think we lose track of what other teams have for their 4th lines and the versatility (or lack thereof) they bring to their teams... Dorsett brings quite a bit to the table other than a cap a hit.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I liked Dorsett's play in his first year here when he played with Matthias and Richardson on the 4th line. He was an above average 4th liner who wouldn't look out of place promoted to the 3rd line in a pinch but would become frustrating when getting extended looks there. He looks like that same Dorsett now, with a bit more luck so far, and I'd expect that he'll end up producing similar numbers by the end of the year.

He's looked terrible every other year, though, so who knows which version of him is really the outlier.

Reactions: Zombotron

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Approx 4th lines today of the teams we've played...

Edm: Pakarinen-Letestu-Spepyshev
Ott: Didomenico-Brown-White
Wpg: Matthias-Petan-Lemieux
Cgy: Jankowski-Bennett-Lazar
Bos: Agostino-Nash-Cehlarik
Buf: Moulson-Larsson-Griffith
Det: Wilson-Glendening-Witkowski

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I'll continue making sarcastic comments, but DD has been great of late. Said many times off season, he has a role on this team. 90% of historical Dorsett hate is a product of usage.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I guess. Except Dorsett is 31 and I doubt we are going to see a version of the player that hasn’t existed by and large for the past decade of his NHL career. Personally I don’t care that he’s doing well except that it runs the risk of increasing his ice time at the expense of other more “important” players. If I had a choice I’d rather see him back to playing 10-11 mins a night and distributing those minutes to Virtanen, Boeser, Baertschi. Sucks for Dorsett but he’s not a significant piece of this team’s future and so I don’t really care how he performs. If that makes me a dick then so be it.

He's actually only 30. Why do people always do that add on a little age thing to somehow buttress their position here?

Doesn't make you a dick though, everybody does it ;) I just get a kick out of it I guess.

I think the reality is we're seeing that a healthy Dorsett is better than f***ed up neck Dorsett.

Reactions: PassLikeA10YrOldBoy

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
He's actually only 30. Why do people always do that add on a little age thing to somehow buttress their position here?

Doesn't make you a dick though, everybody does it ;) I just get a kick out of it I guess.

I think the reality is we're seeing that a healthy Dorsett is better than ****ed up neck Dorsett.

Well he’s actually 30 years and 10 months. Rounding up to 31 is hardly a large distortion of his age.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Well he’s actually 30 years and 10 months. Rounding up to 31 is hardly a large distortion of his age.
He's thirty. Not thirty-one. Not a big deal though, I have even seen people round player's ages up more than a full year here. As I said, it's a very common tactic, you'll find it employed consistently here. In fact I would say people tend to round up the ages of players more often then they play it straight, especially when they're offering a disparaging take on a player. Another poster pointed this out as well recently, I am not the first. And in this case the discrepancy is slight, as you say.

Last edited:
Reactions: PassLikeA10YrOldBoy

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
He's thirty. Not thirty-one. Not a big deal though, I have even seen people round player's ages up more than a full year here. As I said, it's a very common tactic, you'll find it employed consistently here. In fact I would say people tend to round up the ages of players more often then they play it straight, especially when they're offering a disparaging take on a player. Another poster pointed this out as well recently, I am not the first. And in this case the discrepancy is slight, as you say.

Sure. In two months I’ll repost this so it can be technically correct and not viewed as a “tactic”.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Sure. In two months I’ll repost this so it can be technically correct and not viewed as a “tactic”.
You're right. Yours is such a minor case that I probably should have let it pass. I'm really not sure why I landed on you with this. There would no doubt be scads of examples of Dorsett being referred to as thirty-one here going back to last January I'm sure.

I'll erase my original post if you like.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You're right. Yours is such a minor case that I probably should have let it pass. I'm really not sure why I landed on you with this. There would no doubt be scads of examples of Dorsett being referred to as thirty-one here going back to last January I'm sure.

I'll erase my original post if you like.

Nah it’s all good. I’m just giving you a hard time for giving me a hard time.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Has been consistently one of our 3 best players in every single game to start the season. I dunno about you guys, but that's certainly not something I would have predicted before the season began. Dorsett seems like a totally new player this year.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I find it weird that he led all Canuck forwards in ice time against the Wild.... does anyone else find that weird?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Has been consistently one of our 3 best players in every single game to start the season. I dunno about you guys, but that's certainly not something I would have predicted before the season began. Dorsett seems like a totally new player this year.
Well he sort of is a completely new player this year. His neck injury was obviously extremely debilitating.

We're probably seeing him healthy for the first time in years now.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Much more likely we're seeing a guy who hasn't played in a long time be full of piss n vinegar. I'm very happy for the guy that he's recovered and is playing well, but if you're thinking this is the new Dorsett, I think you're incredibly silly.

Reactions: CanaFan

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
First 10 games : 6-2-8 +3
Last 10 games : 1-0-1 -4

What everyone knew was going to happen has happened, as his luck has run out.

Outside of the scoring numbers, though, his overall play - which was very good with his new lease on life to start the year - has deteriorated badly. Hits and SOG totals have fallen roughly in half since game 11 or 12 of the season.

Playing way too much and has burned out. Funny how young rookies get so tired and need to be benched for rest but old veterans never do.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
scoring would obviously drop. Anyone who expected him to keep the pace up is not very smart.

Still one of our best pkers, forecheckers, physical players.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
scoring would obviously drop. Anyone who expected him to keep the pace up is not very smart.

Still one of our best pkers, forecheckers, physical players.

He's been unnoticeable in the past several games. His forechecking and physical play has fallen off a cliff.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
He's been unnoticeable in the past several games. His forechecking and physical play has fallen off a cliff.

I don't see it falling off a cliff.

for example, I thought he was one of our better forechecker against the blues. And again good on the pk.

The canucks were pushed way back especially in the 3rd when our team couldn't transition the puck out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad