Confirmed with Link: Derek Clancy Leaves Vancouver for Toronto

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Pro scouting improved under his watch but that was compared to absolutely terrible, worst in the league pro scouting. I'm not sure he is a huge loss. Best of luck to him!

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Clancy and Granato's roles had a ton of overlap. Plus spending almost his entire career on the east coast.

Not surprising (or a big deal to me) that one of his buddies comes calling with an opportunity to go back, he takes it. Plus we can hate all we want, but it's the leafs too.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Here's his career history:

Screenshot_20230718_142158_Chrome.jpg

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I figure Ryan Johnson will get promoted to AGM soon with the Sedins taking over his role as GM of Abbotsford.

Reactions: andora

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Crucially, Clancy was hired by Rutherford before Allvin was brought on. I imagine that was a big part of allowing a lateral move. Once the front office was put together, Clancy’s role ended up with a lot of overlap.

This allows Johnson to be promoted into a formal AGM role and everyone below him to move up the developmental ladder (Higgins, Sedins, etc.). Young will definitely move up as well.

I see this as an adjustment to Allvin’s vision of the front office rather than Rutherford’s.

Last edited:

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
There is no greater example of nepotism and/or hockey guy bs than who the actual head of professional scouting is. Brett Henning resided over easily the worst professional scouting in decades and still has his job.

The funny part was the whole reason he got his job was because they fired his dad, and this was the one who was going to clean up the ship :rolleyes:

Also: we have Dale Tallon which I keep forgetting. He is an excellent pro scout as most teams go.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Who the f***? :laugh:

I don't think i even knew this guy was part of the front office for a year. Sounds like they're not even going to bother replacing him. So...i guess that speaks volumes about his importance to the team. So anyway...Bye...

Reactions: LordBacon

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Who the f***? :laugh:

I don't think i even knew this guy was part of the front office for a year. Sounds like they're not even going to bother replacing him. So...i guess that speaks volumes about his importance to the team. So anyway...Bye...

He was Rutherford's first hire, before Allvin even. JR was hired Dec. 9th, Clancy on the 15th.

I'm disappointed to see Clancey leave. He was the guy we have augmenting the amateur scouting staff and does scout in Europe (an important region that we needed bolstering).

Like @rypper mentioned, Clancey was Allvin's first hire and it made sense given their history. Clancey was suppose to be a guy whose opinion that JR trusted. Once Allvin got on board, even though we didn't get the cup-winning brain trust we got the head scouts.

It is difficult to understand because he and Granato had on paper almost identical responsibilities.

But he was as I understand, a director of player personnel type role where he was ultimately in charge of pro and amateur scouting.

I think that's the issue. Somehow Granato oversaw both amateur and pro scouting. Castonguay oversees the analytics department and heads up salary negotiations. Where does that leave Clancey?

Clancey's position with the Leafs and short history with Treliving suggests he'll be more of the right hand man.

I found it interesting that Clancey's name was floated about for a potential GM position. Aside from internal promotions, I don't think Leafs AGMs have had luck getting GM positions elsewhere. Clancey will get greater notoriety though.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I’m sick of the usual Twitter mouthpieces (Taj, etc) immediately jumping to the most negative possible interpretations of why Clancey is going to TO when there are plenty of innocuous reasons to explain why he may have moved.
Isnt Taj sort of a parody account?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad