carr: consistently completes >60% of his passes

newton: copletes 60% or more of his passes exactly 33% of the time

carr: consistently throws twice as many TDs vs interceptions, or more

newton: Has done that exactly once

carr: dragged the corpse of the oakland raiders defense to the playoffs

newton: surrounded by talent, had excellent defense

carr: plays through injuries

newton: is a coward

edit: let's not forget the general circus and melodrama that surrounds cam newton (HINT: its because cam newton brings it on himself)
Dude, Oakland has very good wr's and the offense still featured a bunch of easy, short routes.

Newton has done a lot with very little.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Maybe, but I guarantee you if he were your QB you wouldn't be thinking about how to find a better one, because anyone better is simply unavailable. You'd probably count your lucky stars that you aren't fishing around the scrap heap or praying for a winning lotto ticket in the draft.

I didn't mean to **** on him in this thread. I think he's a fine QB, and if I had him on my team, I probably wouldn't trade him for many players. I just think he's getting a bit overrated right now.

vt89*

May 6, 2010
Still awaiting objective evidence that proves Newton is objectively better than Carr

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Still awaiting objective evidence that proves Newton is objectively better than Carr

What have you done to prove Carr is objectively better than Newton. You provided stats that lack context, which is just about as useless as context without stats.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
What have you done to prove Carr is objectively better than Newton. You provided stats that lack context, which is just about as useless as context without stats.

I mean, the kid legitimately tried to use "Cam Newton is a coward" as his reasoning and completely lost the plot in a different thread when talking about Taylor Gabriel being "very good" because he had an abnormally average level of touchdowns caught in a high flying offense. He's PFTCommenter.

vt89*

May 6, 2010
STILL awaiting evidence from this kid that Newton is objectively better than Carr

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Cam Newton threw 67.47% of his passes beyond 5 yards in the air. He completed 68.46%. Good for 4th best in the league behind Luck, ARod and Brees. On passes that traveled 11-20 yards he completed 70.54%, 2nd behind Tom Brady. He was 8th completing 49.18% of his throws 21+. He was also 2nd to ARod in receptions lost by a receiver with 59. All stats available at presnapreads.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Cam Newton threw 67.47% of his passes beyond 5 yards in the air. He completed 68.46%. Good for 4th best in the league behind Luck, ARod and Brees. On passes that traveled 11-20 yards he completed 70.54%, 2nd behind Tom Brady. He was 8th completing 49.18% of his throws 21+. He was also 2nd to ARod in receptions lost by a receiver with 59. All stats available at presnapreads.

Yep, he slings it all over the field, for better or worse. He's never really had the safe option in his career to pad his stats a bit. Hopefully McCaffrey will provide that.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
That's why they drafted CMac and Curtis-Samuel. Plus there is a correlation between athletic QB's and lack short passing attempts. Its easier to gain 10-15 yards with your legs than dumping it to a back for a 5 yard completion.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
That's why they drafted CMac and Curtis-Samuel. Plus there is a correlation between athletic QB's and lack short passing attempts. Its easier to gain 10-15 yards with your legs than dumping it to a back for a 5 yard completion.

True, and it's why evaluating QBs without taking into account running performance is not a fair fight.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
ah ok then brett favre was objectively better than tom brady

Brady only gets this lovefest for wins to be honest. Which are a team stat. MVP is rarely what it should be although Westbrook was a nice change in not front running. Newton only got it cause they went 15-1.

I would take Favre over Brady though if I were building a team with the choice of them in their primes.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
I didn't mean to **** on him in this thread. I think he's a fine QB, and if I had him on my team, I probably wouldn't trade him for many players. I just think he's getting a bit overrated right now.

In what regard? While many are not surprised he got the biggest contract, I don't see many people who regard him as the best QB, albeit if he can just replicate last years' performance (nevermind improve on it) he'll probably establish himself as a member of that top group, any of whom would probably score the biggest contract or close to it if they pushed for it.

It's also worth noting that while his extension is the highest, it's actually spread out over 6 years. His cap hit and salary will actually be a bit less than Luck for the next 3-4 years. What this really does is make up for the fact that Carr didn't get picked in the 1st round, which if he'd had a different last name probably wouldn't have happened.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Brady only gets this lovefest for wins to be honest. Which are a team stat. MVP is rarely what it should be although Westbrook was a nice change in not front running. Newton only got it cause they went 15-1.

I would take Favre over Brady though if I were building a team with the choice of them in their primes.

Cam was the single biggest reason they went 15-1, and that's including Kuechly and their elite defense that year,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad