Signing(s): Derek Carr signs extension 5 years/$125M

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

$25 million per year...wow. I mean, young talent is always going to set records, but has he really set himself apart from his peers?

The Raiders can afford it, and he's a franchise type.

Not sure he's worth that, but they obviously expect a continuing upward trajectory.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California

$25 million per year...wow. I mean, young talent is always going to set records, but has he really set himself apart from his peers?

Hasn't set himself a part, but for his age he's definitely ahead of the curve. More impressive first 3 years than Luck had so I guess this is the going rate for a 26 year old star QB.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
That seemed high, but the Raiders had to keep him. Pretty good QB.

Wilson suddenly seems way underpaid.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
"Franchise QB" contracts are always chalk. It's just too important of a position to not throw everything at them when it's time, and even if you show hints of being a franchise QB, you get paid. With the cap going up, that means record deals almost every year.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Luck had a great year last year. Carr isn't on his level.

Through their first 3 seasons I'd say he is. There just really isn't a way to argue this was a bad contract. Raiders had to pony up to keep Carr. Letting him walk would've been far stupider than any amount of money they could've paid him.

Last edited:

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
Through their first 3 seasons I'd say he is. There just really isn't a way to argue this was a bad contract. Raiders had to pony up to keep Carr. Letting him walk would've been far stupider than any amount of money they could've paid him.

Yeah, think about the number of QBs over the last, say, 20 years who were impact guys for at minimum 5+ years. It's a short, short list when you factor in that those guys probably came from about 20 years' worth of drafts.

Take a look at a 20 year span of QBs drafted, and count how many where you'd be like, "Yeah, we're set for a while." Out of 252 of them. I'm counting around 15, maybe.

http://pfref.com/tiny/O8DXU

15 out of 252 works out to where if you took a QB every 3 years, you'll find a stud one every, what, 48 years or so?

There's a reason top flight young QBs never hit the open market, and there's a reason why some teams go decades without one. If there were ever a question about whether an impact QB was worth top dollar, you'd expect at least one team to have said, "nah, we'll let him walk and focus on the rest of the team instead." And I guarantee you that immediately you'd have had multiple franchises who haven't seen a stud QB in decades pony up whatever it took.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Yes, he's far and away the best QB they've had in about 14 years and is going to even better than Gannon.

Next up to get paid, Stafford.

Carr's extension will be the biggest for another month or two. Curious how much Staff will get.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
Nobody is suggesting they let him walk. I think the highest paid player in NFL history should be someone that's not Carr, though.

Well in an ideal world every year there'd be a perfect impartial ranking of players at each position, and they'd be paid accordingly. But in the real world, there are very few impact QBs in the league, and when one has a contract up he's going to get paid.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Derek Carr isn't a consensus top 10 player at his position, let alone anywhere close to the most impactful in the league. Nobody needs an official ranking to understand that. Appreciate the condescension though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad