Signing(s): Derek Carr extended (3 yrs, 121.5m)

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
Kinda puzzling to me I really don’t think Carr is that good. I know they made the playoffs last year but shit. They’re gonna pay him that much to finish last place in the AFC West?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Who exactly will they replace him with?
That’s the issue. On the block are Jimmy and Mayfield.

Seattle, Carolina, Pitt don’t have a guy that they are certain will be there after this season. TB would have done what if Brady remained retired?
Plus there are teams like Houston who are still evaluating their young QB.

If you have a quality middle of the pack or better QB you have to hang o to them.

Hard to build around an average QB because so many parts need to go well otherwise.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Happy for Carr, he gets to stay put and make a ton of money doing it. As mentioned by others, there were no obvious upgrades waiting to be signed. Raiders may be planning to find their next guy in the draft.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Happy for Carr, he gets to stay put and make a ton of money doing it. As mentioned by others, there were no obvious upgrades waiting to be signed. Raiders may be planning to find their next guy in the draft.
No reason to expect them to look for a replacement just yet.

Even the 2023 draft, it's Stroud from OSU and then Levis from Kentucky. Both big 6'3 and 215 plus lbs guys. Young is 6 feet and under 200 lbs. But, see what the scouts say about him. Physically, not any better than Tua.

Rest of the projected potential QBs need a good season to get into round 1.

2024 is an interesting year, but most of those guys haven't started much or at all. Caleb Williams at USC now, Quinn Ewers at Texas, McCord at OSU would only have 1 year starting, Jack Miller at Florida, JJ McCarthy at Michigan, Sam Huard at Washington, etc. But, plenty of top 5 recruits never even got drafted, so see how the 2022 and 2023 college seasons play out.

Carr was already under contract for this season. So, this new deal added 3 more years.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Kinda puzzling to me I really don’t think Carr is that good. I know they made the playoffs last year but shit. They’re gonna pay him that much to finish last place in the AFC West?
I'm not a huge fan either but he's in the upper halfish echelon of starting QBs, and it's a steep drop off after that echelon. Raiders as a competitive team without a high pick didn't have much of an option. And it's only 3 years.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That’s the issue. On the block are Jimmy and Mayfield.

Seattle, Carolina, Pitt don’t have a guy that they are certain will be there after this season. TB would have done what if Brady remained retired?
Plus there are teams like Houston who are still evaluating their young QB.

If you have a quality middle of the pack or better QB you have to hang o to them.

Hard to build around an average QB because so many parts need to go well otherwise.

Neither would be an upgrade for them.

Agree - its a QB league. Aside from the bonanza this year Brady, Stafford, Manning and Brees (may have missed some) were the only other upper echelon QBs in recent history to change teams / become available.

Sometimes you're better off keeping the guy you have such as the Raiders with Carr.

I'm not a huge fan either but he's in the upper halfish echelon of starting QBs, and it's a steep drop off after that echelon. Raiders as a competitive team without a high pick didn't have much of an option. And it's only 3 years.

Next seasons offensive group is also going to be by far the best hes ever had and a very good one at that with Adams, Jacobs, Renfrow, Waller.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Be right back, taking my son out to the fields for a late-night throwing session. Simulates Mile High and Lambeau.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
121 million over 3 years for 0 career playoff wins.

Doesn’t matter what city or state they’re in, Raiders will always be the Raiders.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Carr is a much better QB than he gets credit for. Have folks looked at who he's thrown to in his time on the Raiders?

Top receivers have been Amare Holmes, James Jones, Crabtree, Agholor... and made stars out of Waller and Renfroe. The only real talent he's played with was Amari Cooper and Cook

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Carr is a much better QB than he gets credit for. Have folks looked at who he's thrown to in his time on the Raiders?

Top receivers have been Amare Holmes, James Jones, Crabtree, Agholor... and made stars out of Waller and Renfroe. The only real talent he's played with was Amari Cooper and Cook
James Jones was awesome. In Green Bay.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
121 million over 3 years for 0 career playoff wins.

Doesn’t matter what city or state they’re in, Raiders will always be the Raiders.
So you think they should've let him walk next year and then spend 3 years searching for a replacement instead.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Why would it take 3 years? Because of how inept they are as a franchise?

Because despite your thoughts on him, QBs at Carr's level don't grow on trees. QB purgatory is real and hell to escape.

Not to mention this new deal only has 1 year and $25 mill guaranteed. In addition, they only have ~ $10 mill in total dead cap space if he is cut or traded after year 1.

So really they have only tied themselves to him for 1 season with this deal, not 3

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Because despite your thoughts on him, QBs at Carr's level don't grow on trees. QB purgatory is real and hell to escape.

Not to mention this new deal only has 1 year and $25 mill guaranteed. In addition, they only have ~ $10 mill in total dead cap space if he is cut or traded after year 1.

So really they have only tied themselves to him for 1 season with this deal, not 3

The Raiders have to decide whether to pick up the next year of his deal like 48 hours after the SuperBowl in 2023. Deal is only injury guaranteed. So, even if they cut him, Carr would have a market as we've seen this off-season.
If Carr wasn't going to get big guaranteed money, at least the deal forces the Raiders to make a decision early so that if he did get cut, he'd be a free agent before the start of the free agency period. Think the deal also contains a NTC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad