Derek Boogaard's brain would had full dementia at 40

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I always wonder why this never happens in boxing and mma?
I mean, there have been 5 deaths inside MMA organization, and 500 or so people have died either in the ring or results from a boxing match.

MMA is still fairly young, but that's somewhat more of a Negative seeing as to how organizations like the UFC Got really big around the same time all that CTE and brain trauma facts were introduced. And boxing has been going on for centuries, with the casualties to go along with it and with what we know about brain trauma, Why aren't we surprised that it's still around?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I mean, there have been 5 deaths inside MMA organization, and 500 or so people have died either in the ring or results from a boxing match.

MMA is still fairly young, but that's somewhat more of a Negative seeing as to how organizations like the UFC Got really big around the same time all that CTE and brain trauma facts were introduced. And boxing has been going on for centuries, with the casualties to go along with it and with what we know about brain trauma, Why aren't we surprised that it's still around?

NFL and the NHL has cleaned it up since it was introduced but we have never heard of this magnitude of brain trauma in boxing for short period of time about it being an issue that should be investigated. In the NFL and NHL (and wrestling), it made the news and they had to change things. Yet for a sport that is designed to bash their skulls in, fighters have seemed to have less coinsequences. Maybe it's cause of the fact that they have gloves and they fight less regularly than guys like Boogard would, perhaps?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It is crazy to think the only major pro sports in the world, has bare knuckle fighting fairly regularly enough throughout the season. I'm not against it or for it, but I mean...that has to be tough to take. I used to box amateur and kick box, the sheer force you can put on someone with gloves vs bare knuckle from when I played and had to throw down, it's nuts.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Sad to hear this, fighting seems to be down in the NHL as of late, wouldn't be such a bad idea if they removed it altogether. A player's long term health should be far more important than possible ratings that fighting brings in.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Sad to hear this, fighting seems to be down in the NHL as of late, wouldn't be such a bad idea if they removed it altogether. A player's long term health should be far more important than possible ratings that fighting brings in.

They could maybe change the rules that if you do fight, the box-time is longer...maybe 10 mins and once you get a certain number of fights on the year (say, 5), it turns to game misconducts.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I wonder if mandatory helmet and visor use will lead to a reduction in fighting related concussions rates 10 years down the road. It should but i'm not sure they want to wait that long to find out.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Honest question, not sure anyone knows. How do you quantify if someone could have had full blown dementia 12 years later in life? Aren't there other factors that would have to be taken into consideration? Did they base it on if he played until he was 40?

Reactions: Legionnaire

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/25/health/cte-nfl-players-brains-study/index.html

For those that don't like clicking on things and reading lots of words: 99% of deceased NFL players had CTE in their brains. There hasn't been a study on NHL players. I can't imagine it will be a rosy picture if they do. Constantly running into other 200 pound guys going 20 mph on skates can't be good. The future of these two sports actually seems quite grim if you ask me.

Really misleading summary. The correct summary is "99% of deceased NFL players who were showing symptoms of CTE and consented to donate their brains for CTE study showed signs of CTE". The way you summarized it implies that 99 percent of football players have CTE.

m.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh a blind side hit usually causes more damage ,than a couple of guys grappling and throwing the odd off balance punch.If someone takes a run at your knee ,or slashes you across the wrist...Iam sorry you are going to be pissed off ,fighting. Instead of baseball swinging your stick,or worse.Is a release measure.Staged goonery is gone,but random fights during fierce competition shouldnt be

Reactions: MisterNoItAll

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad