OT: Depends Who You Ask Apocalypse - Off Topic Thread of Summer

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
So after watching the game...me and the wife decided to watch "midsomnar" on amazon...due to popular demand...

Wow....it was so bad i am startled

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Had a work thing at US Bank Stadium (Vikings) today. Got to go on the field and toss a football around. I kicked a 20 yard field goal. Would've been good from at least 30.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Mad props to the kid behind the counter at Subway today for lunch. Ordered a foot long cold cut combo, $5.99. Kid sees my Islanders hat, says “you’re an islanders fan?” I said yeah, expecting some snarky comment. He says they’re looking real good, exciting to watch, Barzal looks awesome, that’s his favorite player. I go to pay, and the cash register guy says ‘whatta ya got?’ and the kid says “two six inch cold cut combos”. Rings up for $4.23 total.

it’s a small win, but I’ll take it!

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Anybody watch the new season of Jack Ryan on amazon yet? My gf and I binged all 8 episodes this weekend.
Any good? First season was good, except at the end it was like “you know, they could have just done that in episode 5 and been done”

Reactions: eoin92

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Since this is an off topic thread I'll throw in a little nonpartisan political post.
Saw a reference to an old Rolling Stone cover photo and another one from the Nationals White House visit.

It looks like The Donald is channeling his inner Janet Jackson.

suzuki.jpg
top10_janet_0227.jpg

Reactions: dano16

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Getting back to the pizzapocalypse, I'll be in the Bronx this weekend, any recommendations for good pizza?

I know that's a large area, but I'm willing to travel a bit for a good slice.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Getting back to the pizzapocalypse, I'll be in the Bronx this weekend, any recommendations for good pizza?

I know that's a large area, but I'm willing to travel a bit for a good slice.

Morris Park Pizza is our go-to near the Bronx Zoo. Don't really know the rest of the Bronx tbh.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Went to the alleged Pizza Heaven last weekend. On my way home from Boston to NY, stopped in New Haven. Stopped at the famous Frank Pepe's with family for dinner. I say alleged, because it really didn't live up to the hype.

So we had 3 different kind of pies, we had the Frank Pepe's original tomato pie. Now that was excellent. It was basically crushed Italian tomatoes, grated pecorino romano cheese, and olive oil. Very thin crust, and the pie was very pungent (could've been the olive oil), not really a pleasant smell, but it tasted really good. I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10.

Then we had a regular pie, just the normal pie with sauce and mozzarella cheese. THAT, I was extremely disappointed with. Not that it was bad, because it wasn't, it was tasty, but this is what people base their grandiose reviews on, and basically, I can get as good as, if not better regular slices almost anywhere in NY. I've seen a famous pizza reviewer give it 8.5 out of 10. And he's really tough with his reviews, 8.5 is a really high score in his book. Me, I'd give it a 7.8. Nothing spectacular. I liked it, but wasn't blown away from it. And believe me, I like thin crust brick oven pizza.

Then we had their famous white clam pie. That might have been my favorite, that I agree lived up to the hype. It's basically just crust, olive oil, oregano, grated percorino romano, chopped garlic, and clams, which are cooked when they make the pizza. I'd give that a 9.0, reminded me of baked clams on pizza with garlic, no bread crumbs with the clams, but the clams had a cooked flavor to them, really liked it.

Next time in New Haven, may try Sally's Apizza, which was a few blocks away on the same street, and Frank Pepe's main rival. I really liked the area these pizzerias are in. Wooster Street is really cool. They call it Little Italy, and it's just a really cool small street, very nice neighborhood.

So in summary, the tomato pie and the white clam pie, really was excellent, their regular pizza, though tasty, was overrated.

Reactions: thedonger

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Went to the alleged Pizza Heaven last weekend. On my way home from Boston to NY, stopped in New Haven. Stopped at the famous Frank Pepe's with family for dinner. I say alleged, because it really didn't live up to the hype.

So we had 3 different kind of pies, we had the Frank Pepe's original tomato pie. Now that was excellent. It was basically crushed Italian tomatoes, grated pecorino romano cheese, and olive oil. Very thin crust, and the pie was very pungent (could've been the olive oil), not really a pleasant smell, but it tasted really good. I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10.

Then we had a regular pie, just the normal pie with sauce and mozzarella cheese. THAT, I was extremely disappointed with. Not that it was bad, because it wasn't, it was tasty, but this is what people base their grandiose reviews on, and basically, I can get as good as, if not better regular slices almost anywhere in NY. I've seen a famous pizza reviewer give it 8.5 out of 10. And he's really tough with his reviews, 8.5 is a really high score in his book. Me, I'd give it a 7.8. Nothing spectacular. I liked it, but wasn't blown away from it. And believe me, I like thin crust brick oven pizza.

Then we had their famous white clam pie. That might have been my favorite, that I agree lived up to the hype. It's basically just crust, olive oil, oregano, grated percorino romano, chopped garlic, and clams, which are cooked when they make the pizza. I'd give that a 9.0, reminded me of baked clams on pizza with garlic, no bread crumbs with the clams, but the clams had a cooked flavor to them, really liked it.

Next time in New Haven, may try Sally's Apizza, which was a few blocks away on the same street, and Frank Pepe's main rival. I really liked the area these pizzerias are in. Wooster Street is really cool. They call it Little Italy, and it's just a really cool small street, very nice neighborhood.

So in summary, the tomato pie and the white clam pie, really was excellent, their regular pizza, though tasty, was overrated.

Sallie's is opening their first satellite restaurant outside New Haven in the new Nordstrom mall in South Norwalk. Might save you a bit of a drive if you're just going for the pizza.

Even closer is Sal's in Mamaroneck. Go for a sicilian slice. You can thank me later.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
My family is from Danbury and we were Pepe's people. It's been a good while since I've had it, though. Last time I was up there was maybe 10 years ago for a weekend and we went to Pepes one night and Texas Hot Weiners the next.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Was watching this Korean variety show about bosses and their businesses, it's an interesting watch. There is a famous trainer featured, he operates a gym and has a lot of famous clients. Anyway, he has a staff of trainers and a Pilates instructor who is an absolute riot. The guy is huge and she's tiny, watching them eat together is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while... she is a character. He's a tough guy and a bit of a cheapskate, she could eat a whole cow in one sitting.

For those interested...

@LeapOnOver - Have you seen this? It's pretty funny.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3