OT: Denver Trip

dayoldhate2

Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, AB
Hey everyone, long time Avs fan who lives in Calgary. My wife bought tickets for us to fly to Denver for the first time for 4 days (15th to 18th) to see our first game at the Pepsi Center. We're going to the Washington game on the 16th but will have lots of time to explore otherwise. What are some must do things while we're there?

Thanks everyone. So stoked!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I need to know what hobbies you like before giving you best advice I can.

With that said, here are some suggestion in 30 thoughts style.

- You can spend all your time in Denver and not rent a car, but the best aspects of Colorado are not in Denver. If you want to get the most out of your trip rent a car and get out of the city. Not only that, but the most popular locations will require a car.

- If you're planning in simply Denver, there is a metro lightrail system which goes from the airport to the city and all over the best places you want in Denver. LoDo is my favourite part of Denver, they transformed it from a homeless area into a nice night out with friends or your significant other - ton of restaurants and bars. Another area which I like is north Broadway in the Denver area, it's more hip for young peeps, but there are fun bars and places to also have a good night out.

- The wealthiest area in Denver is Cherry Creek and they have good food places with higher-end clothing. However, one area of Cherry Creek which I absolutely love is Pearl Street. It's sort of high-end as well, but they have some fantastic hidden restaurant and coffee shops (great place for romantic nights). 16th Street Mall (which is just a long outdoor mall) is a cool place, but weed has brought a lot of weird people along that stretch. The Denver Zoo, Art, and Botanic Garden are wicked places, Museum is boring AF. However, if you do like history there are a ton of wild-west tours and museums throughout the state.

- Try to stay away from Colfax Ave - it isn't a dangerous street around in Denver, but you get looneys, homeless, and just that weird feeling.

- Denver is a drinking city, if you like drinking day after day you'll fit right now. It also has an eerie wild-west feel to it, but it's sort of getting lost due to the insane amount of millennials moving from Cali, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Illinois.

- If you want to see Colorado in its Sunday best, expect driving for more than thirty minutes average.

- Boulder is a chill place to cheque out, I don't really like the place, but if you like coffee and good restaurants with a nice view it is the opposite of a hard drive.

- Go one day into the Mountains to Black Hawk which is one city in Colorado that allows gambling. Personally, gambling doesn't interest me, but to kill an evening that's something you can potentially do.

- I would consider this a tourist trap, but Garden of the Gods is a must for every tourist. It's normally always packed, but it is also beautiful. Its location is in Colorado Springs which is bit more than an hour from Denver. Colorado Springs has some other cool attractions worth the trip like their zoo (called Cheyenne Zoo) which is effin unbelievable and Seven Falls (I have no idea how you get there now since it was bought by The Broadmoor).

- To my friends suggestion above, you can cheque out what's going on at Red Rocks, but honestly it's just a concert hall. If you're not going to a music show or not planning to exercise, I don't see the appeal of the place.

- A town I love is Breckenridge which is around an hour and a half drive from Denver. Hip town, but the sites are rad.

- Glennwood Springs is an absolute must go for me. It is quite touristy, but you got natural hotsprings and the town has so much to do in it from an amusement park on the side of a mountain to underground caves. That trip will be three hours from Denver, but definitely spend a couple of nights there if you do plan on going. Hotel Colorado is a really creepy place, supposedly haunted and you can see why if you head up there.

- Rocky Mountain National Park is also another must go for me and is around 45 minutes from Boulder which is 30 minutes from Denver. Not sure what you'll see there in Winter, but I went hiking in the summer and saw Bear(s) and Elk. Seeing a Moose is what I consider the main prize since a 1,200 lbs animal will just blows you away (not sure how many Meese you get in Calgary). If you do plan on going, stop at Estes Park which has The Stanley Hotel. I mean it's just a hotel with a lot of history, but there is also a cool aspect behind it when you see it on the hill for the first time.

- Keystone is the perfect town in the Winter. Not sure if the lake is frozen as it might be a tad early, but you can play hockey and skate during the winter. They have good slopes for skiing, but again not sure what you like as hobbies. It's a town for everything though. Another place which has skating/hockey on their lake is Evergreen (which is much closer of a distance).

- I quite like Silverthorn and Frisco who have a huge lake, but I have never been there in winter so your guess is as good as mine (might be too cold to do anything).

- The best places to go is a trio of Durango, Telluride/Ouray, and Silverton, but you're looking at a five to six hour trip to the middle of nowhere. They're worth it though.

- Vail is awesome if you want to see a ski resort, but don't want to ski. They have high-end restaurants and wonderful shops to kill time if you have nothing to do (looking at a two hour trip there). Reminds me a lot of a mountain town from Europe.

- I would avoid Aspen, I mean it's not a bad town at all, but the definition of smug. If do want to go to Aspen, research Maroon Bells which is undeniably beautiful.

- A Colorado staple for eating are three places; Buckhorn Exchange (in Denver), Cherry Cricket (in Denver/Cherry Creek), and Beau Jo's (multiple locations). Buckhorn is a steak place since 1890 and have exotic meats, Cricket is a beast of a hamburger place, and Beau Jo's is Colorado-style pizza. If you plan on going to Beau Jo's, notify the server that it is the first time there, I accidentally ordered a 45 dollar pizza once.

- That's all I got as of now, if you do plan on going to the mountains I will notify @ASmileyFace who can help you further (especially for the fall/winter months). He's our residential mountain man with the beard and missing teeth who's probably raising a pack of wolves as we speak and climbing over a five pound gold nugget.

Last edited:

dayoldhate2

Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, AB
Thanks so much for that! We have a rental car so we'll be able to get outside of Denver for sure. I appreciate all the suggestions, friends

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

- You can spend all your time in Denver and not rent a car, but the best aspects of Colorado are not in Denver. If you want to get the most out of your trip rent a car and get out of the city. Not only that, but the most popular locations will require a car.

- If you're planning in simply Denver, there is a metro lightrail system which goes from the airport to the city and all over the best places you want in Denver. LoDo is my favourite part of Denver, they transformed it from a homeless area into a nice night out with friends or your significant other - ton of restaurants and bars. Another area which I like is north Broadway in the Denver area, it's more hip for young peeps, but there are fun bars and places to also have a good night out.

- The wealthiest area in Denver is Cherry Creek and they have good food places with higher-end clothing. However, one area of Cherry Creek which I absolutely love is Pearl Street. It's sort of high-end as well, but they have some fantastic hidden restaurant and coffee shops (great place for romantic nights). 16th Street Mall (which is just a long outdoor mall) is a cool place, but weed has brought a lot of weird people along that stretch. The Denver Zoo, Art, and Botanic Garden are wicked places, Museum is boring AF. However, if you do like history there are a ton of wild-west tours and museums throughout the state.

- Try to stay away from Colfax Ave - it isn't a dangerous street around in Denver, but you get looneys, homeless, and just that weird feeling.

- Denver is a drinking city, if you like drinking day after day you'll fit right now. It also has an eerie wild-west feel to it, but it's sort of getting lost due to the insane amount of millennials moving from Cali, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Illinois.

- If you want to see Colorado in its Sunday best, expect driving for more than thirty minutes average.

- Boulder is a chill place to cheque out, I don't really like the place, but if you like coffee and good restaurants with a nice view it is the opposite of a hard drive.

- Go one day into the Mountains to Black Hawk which is one city in Colorado that allows gambling. Personally, gambling doesn't interest me, but to kill an evening that's something you can potentially do.

- I would consider this a tourist trap, but Garden of the Gods is a must for every tourist. It's normally always packed, but it is also beautiful. Its location is in Colorado Springs which is bit more than an hour from Denver. Colorado Springs has some other cool attractions worth the trip like their zoo (called Cheyenne Zoo) which is effin unbelievable and Seven Falls (I have no idea how you get there now since it was bought by The Broadmoor).

- To my friends suggestion above, you can cheque out what's going on at Red Rocks, but honestly it's just a concert hall. If you're not going to a music show or not planning to exercise, I don't see the appeal of the place.

- A town I love is Breckenridge which is around an hour and a half drive from Denver. Hip town, but the sites are rad.

- Glennwood Springs is an absolute must go for me. It is quite touristy, but you got natural hotsprings and the town has so much to do in it from an amusement park on the side of a mountain to underground caves. That trip will be three hours from Denver, but definitely spend a couple of nights there if you do plan on going. Hotel Colorado is a really creepy place, supposedly haunted and you can see why if you head up there.

- Rocky Mountain National Park is also another must go for me and is around 45 minutes from Boulder which is 30 minutes from Denver. Not sure what you'll see there in Winter, but I went hiking in the summer and saw Bear(s) and Elk. Seeing a Moose is what I consider the main prize since a 1,200 lbs animal will just blows you away (not sure how many Meese you get in Calgary). If you do plan on going, stop at Estes Park which has The Stanley Hotel. I mean it's just a hotel with a lot of history, but there is also a cool aspect behind it when you see it on the hill for the first time.

- Keystone is the perfect town in the Winter. Not sure if the lake is frozen as it might be a tad early, but you can play hockey and skate during the winter. They have good slopes for skiing, but again not sure what you like as hobbies. It's a town for everything though. Another place which has skating/hockey on their lake is Evergreen (which is much closer of a distance).

- I quite like Silverthorn and Frisco who have a huge lake, but I have never been there in winter so your guess is as good as mine (might be too cold to do anything).

- The best places to go is a trio of Durango, Telluride/Ouray, and Silverton, but you're looking at a five to six hour trip to the middle of nowhere. They're worth it though.

- Vail is awesome if you want to see a ski resort, but don't want to ski. They have high-end restaurants and wonderful shops to kill time if you have nothing to do (looking at a two hour trip there). Reminds me a lot of a mountain town from Europe.

- I would avoid Aspen, I mean it's not a bad town at all, but the definition of smug. If do want to go to Aspen, research Maroon Bells which is undeniably beautiful.

- A Colorado staple for eating are three places; Buckhorn Exchange (in Denver), Cherry Cricket (in Denver/Cherry Creek), and Beau Jo's (multiple locations). Buckhorn is a steak place since 1890 and have exotic meats, Cricket is a beast of a hamburger place, and Beau Jo's is Colorado-style pizza. If you plan on going to Beau Jo's, notify the server that it is the first time there, I accidentally ordered a 45 dollar pizza once.

- That's all I got as of now, if you do plan on going to the mountains I will notify @ASmileyFace who can help you further (especially for the fall/winter months). He's our residential mountain man with the beard and missing teeth who's probably raising a pack of wolves as we speak and climbing over a five pound gold nugget.
Saving this for my eventual Denver trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs71 and Jets 31

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am happy to help, but remember that I am just one bloke who has an opinion and a keyboard. Research other sites and get a wide range of opinions besides just me.

Reactions: arun

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Aspen has never come off as smug to me. Vail has always had that ritzy kinda pretentious feel to me. But to each their own.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

This was very helpful , i am going to see a Broncos game for the first time , too bad they aren't a little better , been a huge Broncos fan for a very long time . Never been to a NFL game before because i always said the first time i go it has to be a Broncos home game . I'm from Winnipeg so a Broncos game is a bucket list item , Go Broncos .

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
I am happy to help, but remember that I am just one bloke who has an opinion and a keyboard. Research other sites and get a wide range of opinions besides just me.

Just an opinion and a keyboard? And a bunch of free time it seems :) There is more info in your post then a travel brochure. Nice work.

dayoldhate2

Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, AB
Just wanted to post an update. We had a great trip. Thanks for all the suggestions, we didn't venture out of town because of the wife being pregnant but saw a lot while we were there. Just have to say, Denver is a beautiful city and everyone there was so incredibly nice. The Pepsi Center is a thing of beauty. Just a tip for anyone that hasn't done it, but for $10 you get an hour and a half tour of the entire building. Got to see damn near every square inch of the place and played some basketball on the nuggets practice court. Shout out to Gary, the tour guide. There isn't a nicer guy who loves what he does more. Got to meet Rycroft and Conor McGahey along the tour. Even though we lost to Washington, I left my seat and walked up a few stairs only to run into Milan Hejduk - wow! Aside from the birth of my son, I don't think I've ever felt that happy before. He was more than happy to stop and talk and take a picture with me.

Anyway guys, thanks again and I can't wait to visit your beautiful city again!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just got back from Denver and seeing my first Broncos game and first NFL game live , what a great time , what a great game , and what a beauty stadium . Everyone we met were super friendly but almost everyone we talked to couldn't believe we came all the way from Winnipeg just to see the Broncos :laugh: Definitely coming again but we'll time it for a Jets and Avalanche game as well , that Wolf of Wall street chant at the Broncos game was very cool , just had a blast and can't wait to be back , thanks again .

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Think I’m planning a weekend trip in November (T-Beauty’s return) and this post was incredible.

Reactions: S E P H

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
magic-mushrooms.jpg

Reactions: the_fan

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP) is beautiful but you've already got Banff in your backyard. The elk might be starting their rut though. Going there would definitely end up taking one day out of your itinerary. If you go to RMNP then you'll have to go through Estes Park. Trail Ridge Road might be closed by then or not. Just depends on the weather. Kind Coffee there has the best chai breve. Colorado Cherry Company in Pinewood Springs on US36 (on the way to Estes Park) has the BEST blueberry pie and cherry streusel. Their pie crust is scrumptious and I hate pie crust. They've got all kinds of pie there. If the weather is cold (relative to an Albertan, I know) then get a hot cocoa. They make it from scratch. Check out Westword too.

Denver Westword | The Leading Independent News Source in Denver, Colorado

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Btw if you go to Glenwood Springs, go to the Iron Springs hot springs, not the one on the highway. Iron Springs has varying temperature pools and they also serve alcohol.

The one on the highway is putting in a lot more kid friendly stuff though (slides etc) but no booze at that one.

Also in Glenwood springs - some of the best sours money can buy at Casey. And if you want to get a good meal or good drinks and scenery without all the tourists there’s a public golf course south of town about 10-15 mins that never gets overrun with tourists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad