Denver Post Continues To Disappoint

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I have two recent gripes about how they cover the team.

1. I know it's their job to do their best and play both sides of the fence. Be critical when it's necessary and pump up the team when it's necessary, all while giving their readers the latest team info. But an article that came out this morning from Mike Chambers is a joke. It's basically an attempt to start a problem in the lockerroom between Duchene and O'Reilly. Sure, Duchene might be a bit pissed at the selfish attitude ROR took by holding out, but it's really a disgusting article and comes over very much like a tabloid piece.

Give it a read:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It reminded me of when Duchene and O'Reilly joined the Avs together for the 2009-10 season, after the two Canadian centers were picked third and 33rd in the draft, respectively, and began their NHL careers as 18-year-olds. That first season, Duchene and O'Reilly were best buddies, seemingly doing everything together. They had so much in common, so much to be thankful for and so much time to grow together. They rooted for each other.

I'm not sure they even speak to each other now.

Pretty disgusting piece if you ask me.

2. Mike Chambers is awful. I know people complain about Dater and I know that the DP needs to have multiple people covering the team to try and cover all angles and viewpoints. But, he's terrible. And that's not even talking about his piece posted above.

He sent out some clueless tweets about the weekend, stating the Avalanche were likely send down both Barrie and Elliott once EJ and Wilson returned. He didn't even know that the team had carried 8 D earlier in the year and that they would likely do that again considering how good Barrie has played.

He also had tweeted about how O'Reilly wasn't on the PK and how that shocked him...when the team had practiced without him on that unit for two days and Sacco had announced that was the plan.

It's almost as if he doesn't watch the team or follow what's going on with them. I know people hate Dater, but he at least speaks his mind with knowledge to back it up. I can't support Chambers any more. He needs to step up his game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Denver Post sucks and has since the Rocky Mountain News closed down(really even before, but is worse since they have no competition).

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I usually defend both Post beat writers, especially Dater, but I can't help but agree. Absolutely shameful the way they've conducted themselves during this whole mess and how they continue to exploit it. There are plenty of stories to tell about the deplorable on-ice product, yet they're focusing on two players and the supposed "drama" between them.

I'll at least give Terry Frei credit for calling a spade a spade. Too bad he's too busy promoting his latest book.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I'm not going to click the link. Don't want to give him the extra hit. I believe you, and don't need to read the article to see what trash he's putting out there. It's nothing new. And it is disgusting that he's trying to cause a rift between Dutch and Factor.

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
The Post's suckitude extends far beyond its Avalanche coverage. Even among newspapers, it's a joke paper.

Somebody needs to call these clowns out.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
who reads the newspaper anymore its 2013

Those two are the only people covering the team. So if you want quotes from player, want to know who the scratches are before a game, want to know injury reports, want to know line combinations in practice, etc, those are your go-to guys. An it's on-line, not the the physical copy RS is talking about. You really think RS is buying the Denver Post in Saskatoon?

I think it's a shame that there isn't more coverage of the team in the Denver media. Not even the Avalanche web guys travel with the team. That' why on the Avs site there are only interviews with players when they're at home. It's really pathetic.

Dater was making a fool of himself last night on Twitter, discrediting the validity of advanced stats. I'm not one of those guys who thinks you can actually project outcomes of games by them (this Blackhawks streak is proof of that), but they sure are better metrics than plus minus.

Both Dater and Chambers have been milking this Duchene-O'Reilly thing way too much. I'm sure they are just fine together.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Very sad that a smart, capable reporter like Rick Sadowski has been reduced to puff pieces on NHL.com and has like 10 followers on his Twitter feed.

NHL.com really doesn't do anything to promote its writers. They probably pay their correspondents peanuts

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
NHL.com really doesn't do anything to promote its writers. They probably pay their correspondents peanuts

They're usually not worth reading anyway. I think the NHL tells its writers not to write anything that could be construed as critical of the league, the organziation, the player, the officiating, or anything else, and so it just reads as bland, cliched drivel.

Sadowski's Twitter profile links to his LinkedIn page. Sad.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
People can complain all they want about Dater, but Chambers is an absolute joke. Always has been.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Dater is normal OK because he does give us game day info and all sort of that, but he needs to keep his emotions out of his writing and Chambers is biggest ********* in the world. I will never forget what he wrote about Varlamov because he didn't want to conduct an interview.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I work for the St. John's IceCaps AHL team. I see everything that goes on pre-game with the players and honestly every visiting team that has come to St. John's this year has 5 or 6 players at the most who kick the soccer ball around. Most of the team lunge, and stretch in their work out gear with headphones in their ear. I would assume the NHL teams are very similar. Dater and Chambers are trying to take whatever they can to milk this bigger than it is. I'm sure Duchene is very upset with what has happened, but not to the level these clowns have made it out to be.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I have two recent gripes about how they cover the team.

1. I know it's their job to do their best and play both sides of the fence. Be critical when it's necessary and pump up the team when it's necessary, all while giving their readers the latest team info. But an article that came out this morning from Mike Chambers is a joke. It's basically an attempt to start a problem in the lockerroom between Duchene and O'Reilly. Sure, Duchene might be a bit pissed at the selfish attitude ROR took by holding out, but it's really a disgusting article and comes over very much like a tabloid piece.

Give it a read:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Pretty disgusting piece if you ask me.

2. Mike Chambers is awful. I know people complain about Dater and I know that the DP needs to have multiple people covering the team to try and cover all angles and viewpoints. But, he's terrible. And that's not even talking about his piece posted above.

He sent out some clueless tweets about the weekend, stating the Avalanche were likely send down both Barrie and Elliott once EJ and Wilson returned. He didn't even know that the team had carried 8 D earlier in the year and that they would likely do that again considering how good Barrie has played.

He also had tweeted about how O'Reilly wasn't on the PK and how that shocked him...when the team had practiced without him on that unit for two days and Sacco had announced that was the plan.

It's almost as if he doesn't watch the team or follow what's going on with them. I know people hate Dater, but he at least speaks his mind with knowledge to back it up. I can't support Chambers any more. He needs to step up his game.

this is just stupid. one guy didn't like the tactic the other guy used to get paid. it's not a big deal. he was just simply telling ROR that he was needed on the team and not sitting on a couch somewhere.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
What's funny is that this kind of article pisses off the management of the Avs. Yet another reason why Dater gets second hand knowledge of everything and it's inaccurate etc.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What's funny is that this kind of article pisses off the management of the Avs. Yet another reason why Dater gets second hand knowledge of everything and it's inaccurate etc.

Let's be honest though--even if Dater were as rainbows-and-sunshine as Peter McNab and Mike Haynes, Avalanche management would still be as closed off as they are now.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
How about instead of complaining on this forum you actually write a complaint to the denverpost...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
How about instead of complaining on this forum you actually write a complaint to the denverpost...

Official HF decree: No topics able to be discussed on this opinion forum, with out first writing a full length letter that will never see the light of day, and sending it to the object of your disapproval.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

You could tell by the thread title what the discussion was going to be about.

If you didn't want to participate in a thread like this, you didn't have to read it...or post in it.

Last edited:

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
What's great is 104.3 the fan taking this as fact and having a whole segment about Duchene being immature and needing to grow up. Awful

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
What's great is 104.3 the fan taking this as fact and having a whole segment about Duchene being immature and needing to grow up. Awful

Yeah I heard that too. The Avs will be fine. I got a feeling Lando is going to take this team over like Toews did

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Good Lord...seriously? Please tell me it wasn't Clough doing this.

Drew and Scott. Two clowns who know nothing about hockey and analyze it through a basketball lens. Hate em.
I actually like sandy, he's at least intelligent even if I don't always agree.
They kept saying Duchene has been running his mouth about oreilly's contract. Did I miss something? Every interview I've sen with him I've been very impressed

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Drew and Scott. Two clowns who know nothing about hockey and analyze it through a basketball lens. Hate em.
I actually like sandy, he's at least intelligent even if I don't always agree.
They kept saying Duchene has been running his mouth about oreilly's contract. Did I miss something? Every interview I've sen with him I've been very impressed

ROR's nutcase daddy is probably dropping a dime in their ears.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad